outdoor water spicket repair

on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of the spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire spicket. had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will get leaking from the stem nut ?
Thanks, TR
Tim wrote:

That would be "sigot".
A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't find direct replacements for.
But, old-style packing still works.
on 11/8/2008 2:39 PM dpb said the following:

..or spigot, in the US.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

... Yeah, I just saw the typo, too... :(
At least I only did it once... :)
dpb wrote:

Dontcha just hate it when that happens? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dpb wrote:

Try "spigot", I don't know what a "sigot" is. I've repaired or replaced many a spigot. The dumbest thing I've seen is when someone leaves a hose connected to a freeze proof outdoor spigot or faucet in winter weather.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

No, the dumbest thing is when the neighbor leaves a frozen open-ended hose attached, the wife turns the spigot on full and then walks away when no water comes out.
Guess what happened during a January thaw while they were away for the weekend?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Almost as dumb, when they leave the hose connected, they usually leave the faucet on and the hose nozzle turned off. This allows the water to freeze all the way back inside the wall and burst the valve inside the basement or crawl space. Here's what I'm referring to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/overview/0,,480863,00.html
The valve seat is actually on the other side of the wall.
TDD

Pronounced sI-gO :-)

What's a "sigot"? I did a dictionary search on that. Kept trying to substitute "spigot".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

is it leaking around the stem? the metal shaft.........
if so just tighten the packing nut, it will end the leak around the shaft
depends . Mostly it would be about 400 times eaiser to just replace it.

On Nov 8, 7:06�pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

not if itsd soldered on at the walls surface.
locally the valves were soldered out of wall, put in place then soldered indoors.
those valves are easier repaired.
new washers, and a 5 buck seat grindinmg tool can repair the valves good as new for 10 years, then you can do it again.
a good female friend was visiting and reported her outside valve was leaking bad. at the stem. the water ran indoors along the wall and close to the main service breakerr cabinet.
my valve happened to be loeaking at the stem so I showed her how to tighten the packing nut.
she went home and asked to borrow her hubbys wrench, he got mad and claimed she would break valve.
1/.4 turn later the leak stopped he had nothing to say:)

the
You can probably rebuild the hose bib and stop the leak for a while, but what I like to do is retire the damn things and replace them with ball valves. One quarter of a turn to full on and no leaks, no washers to futz with.
--
Roger Shoaf
I've replaced faucet washers for outdoor spigots. Never heard of a packing nut being factory done, and can't change it later. May I suggest shut off the water, pull the packing nut, and see if the faucet washer is damaged.