Outdoor timer running to fast

I just wired up an Intermatic T103 timer. I noticed after 12 hours the timer seems to be moving to fast (12 hours registered about 13 hours on the timer). Could I have a wiring issue or is this just a faulty clock timer? TIA.

Probably a faulty timer, but check to see if it has an automatic DST switch that happened to trip if it is one hour even.

That timer uses a simple synchronous clock motor timer that depends on the 60Hz AC power for accuracy. If the clock motor runs at all it is probably keeping time. There is no "DST switch". I suspect an operator error.
Travis Jordan wrote:

The accuracy of the input doesn't guarantee the accuracy of the output if it isn't manufactured under precise (enough) tolerances...

The synchronous motor drives a set of fixed tooth gears which in turn drive the time display. "Manufacturing tolerances" won't cause the timing accuracy to change. The only probable cause for one of these timers to gain or lose time is either a) operating a 50 Hz timer on a 60 Hz supply, or vice-versa, or b) a power outage.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/2.html
Travis Jordan wrote:

That assumes the gears have accurate tooth spacing -- if they're off, then the timing is off...
dpb wrote:

Actually, I'll agree on principle overall...was thinking of a short term variability possibly, but on the long term, it has to run a revolution per N cycles so not the OP's problem over 12 hours...
As noted elsewhere, the ratio of 60/50 to 13/12 is close enough to make one wonder if OP order the wrong series number and got a 50Hz model or perhaps it was just mislabeled...
Travis Jordan wrote:

Neither (a) or (b) would cause a synchronous motor timer to gain an hour; (a) would cause it to gain 2.4 hours and (b) would cause it to lose however many hours the power was off. If the gear tolerances were off, however (tooth count or diameter off a smidge, it could well gain an hour in twelve.
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
On Jul 1, 11:09 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sometimes the manufacturers screw up and put the wrong timer motor into a piece of equipment. I have seen a 50hz motor in a timer that was supposed to for 60hz. If you take the timer out of it's case and look at the back you should be able to see the motor which will have the voltage and frequency printed on it.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I didn't stop initially to consider values, but (60/50)/(13/12) ~ 1.1 which is within 10% of the difference OP observed. Not an unlikely hypothesis. Maybe he ordered the wrong subseries???

I was in a W.W. Grainger supply house a few years ago where they had a new wall clock that had been returned by a customer. The clock kept perfect time, except for the fact that it was running backwards. The turkeys wouldn't sell it to me.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Those are pretty widely available novelties -- the barbershop I frequent has had one for quite a long time...

I know that, but this one wasn't supposed to be running backwards. I've seen the novelty clocks that are numbered anticlockwise/counterclockwise. The odd clocks catch your eye on a subconscious level then you look more closely and remark WTF.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bet me! :)
The one in the barbershop is also just like that...

Oh, I believe you, I've seen stranger things. The little old barbershop I frequent on a semiannual basis (whenever I start looking like Hagar The Horrible) has no unusual artifacts. Perhaps I shall get them one.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm betting the one you saw was probably modified by the countermen themselves as a lark, not that it was "returned"...

built-into-the-paneled-wall kitchen clock like that. (Shaft stuck through paneling, little brass squares that served as the numbers stuck to paneling around it. Very Trendy for about a month in '66) Every time the power blipped during a thunderstorm, it would start running backwards. Nobody ever cared enough to pull it out from the access hatch in the pantry behind and diagnose it. We just ignored it, or if company was coming, flipped the breaker off and on.
aem sends...

Don't you just love it when devices act in an anomalous fashion?
[8~{} Uncle Monster
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:09:41 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Have you checked if daylight saving time began in your area?

Not if your other mechanical clocks are right.

Probably.