Outdoor stair railings placement

Contractor terminated handrail on steps to 2nd last step from bottom and placed the railing about 4" in from the outside edge. Shouldnt it go to the bottom step and with 1" from the edge? Anyone know what the code is for this?

Thanks

Reply to
mart

Yes.

Reply to
Steve B

If I remember correctly, railing is only required if the steps are higher than 24" off the ground (about three steps). So, I don't see an issue with your railing stopping at the second step. In fact, it is quite common for indoor staircases to have a full step past the end of the railing. It could also strengthen the railing post by giving more leverage at the bottom end, but that would depend on how it was constructed.

Being 4" in from the outside edge is a bit unusual, but not a big deal. Depending on how the post is attached to the deck structure (i.e. bolted to the inside of a doubled joist), it could make the railing much sturder than if it were mounted to the outside.

I built a set of stairs for my in-laws recently, and the railing posts are sandwiched between two joists for strength. With siding and a trim board on the outside, there's probably around 2-1/2" from the post to the outside edge. The decking overhangs about 1 inch, for maybe a total of 3-1/2" from post to the outmost edge.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Can't tell from here. You local code will govern, and there's a fair bit of discrepancy in interpretation. There's also not enough information about your specific situation - how many risers, etc.

The location of the handrail termination is an indicator of the first and last steps. Having it start or stop too far into the stairway can lead to missteps and tripping.

Handrail codes have maximum and minimum projection into the stairway requirements. Without specific knowledge of your situation - construction, stair placement, etc. - it's not possible to provide a definitive answer of whether you contractor did the right or wrong thing.

RicodJour

Its about 9' high and 12-15 steps. The contractor agreed to redo the railing down to the bottom step lol.

Reply to
mart