Outdoor Radon is the problem..

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:50:49 -0500, "john" wrote Re Re: Outdoor Radon is the problem..:

Naturally occuring.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Don't panic. Radon is the latest scare after asbestos, DDT et al. It is an issue, but not too big. Companies are getting fat winding the gullible.

Reply to
Clot

This is wrong. A house is not "sealed". Hint: if you open an basement window in the winter, does cold air flow in or does hot air flow out?

In the winter, the inside of a home is usually at a LOWER pressure compared to outside because heated air escapes small openings near the upper portion of the home. That is why more radon is usually drawn in during the winter.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Answer: Both.

Huh?

Admittedly, the heated air escapes, but that doesn't lower the air pressure in the house - it equalizes the pressure to match the outside. If it didn't leak out, the house would explode. Or rise off the foundation.

Reply to
HeyBub

=BDif you open an

any well sealed, like current energy efficent homes that have at least one flue, for say hot water tank can be at negative pressure. flues, exhaust fans etc.

the outside radon being higher makes no sense at all, most likely the temperature and humidity change from moving the meter outside upsets the reading.

If I were the OP I would just go ahead and have a radon control system installed...... they arent that expensive.

although since my home sits higher than the road, I have considered installing a freanch drain system draining to daylight near curb. this would take care of water in bvasement AND allow the radon to vent naturally to the outside.

radon is heavier than air, so it pools like water at low levels

Reply to
hallerb