Outdoor Mold

Hi,

I have mold growing on sandstone rocks that form a wall beside my house. The mold is green in color. Since this rock wall is beside my house, should I be worried about the mold entering my house or discoloring the brick exterior of the dwelling?

Thanks, Ed Stuart

Reply to
Ed Stuart

No. Mold has existed since the beginning of time and became a concern only in the last few years, and mainly in the US where they needed something new to worry about. Black mold indoors is the potential problem, with emphasis on the word potential.

Probably not mold, but most likely algae or lichens. Depends on the brick, but probably wouldn't grow on the brick. It isn't going to enter your house.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Aside from the fact that what he has isn't mold :> the best thing he can do to feel safe from mold in the house is keep everything dry. Low levels of mold and spores, even the toxic ones are all around, inside and outside, all the time. So are some toxic bacteria spores (such as the botulism bacteria).

Mold only proliferates and produce toxins when conditions are favorable (water/humidity, food, temperature, pH, and sometimes, lack of UV from sunlight). That is why the type of materials involved are important as well as the presence of water and dampness. Keep the house (walls, carpets, wood, floors, bathroom, behind the wallpaper, etc.) dry!

sue at interport dot net

Reply to
Curly Sue