Outdoor lights

I already have four outdoor flood lights on my house. I would like to just take these lights and move them 5-7 feet into the flower beds and have them project up on the house at a angle. Right now these lights are attached to the bottom of the house and face straight up.

Can I just purchase some metal conduit, electrical wire and a light I want in the flowerbed. Hook it up... would I be ready to go or are there other concerns I need to be aware of.

thanks kendall

Reply to
Kendall

Are they 110v lights? Or, low voltage. You're going to have some code issues to make that connection to the existing wireing without an exposed junction box (Ie: you can't just add a run of wire with wire nuts, it needs to either be a real j-box or a new full wire.

If they are 110V and you can get to the panel, I'd suggest running direct bury wire, it works well. Or, place a junction box and to the metal conduit as you said. The only thing I think you need to worry about is making sure the j-box is accessible.

Reply to
info

Thanks for the follow up. The lighting is 110.. The wires currently are into a box in the brick on the house. I was hoping I could put a junction box there, or perhaps it is already a junction box. But the current lighting is already in place and I would most likely remove it (along with the nuts, etc.) run longer wire from that box into the ground.

Does that sound 'ok'?

thanks snipped-for-privacy@beartoothwebdevel> > I already have four outdoor flood lights on my house. I would like to

Reply to
Kendall

My expectation would be that there is an outdoor box underneath your current lights, and you can get an outdoor cover to cover the box, so that it doesn't get wet inside.

If so, you can start your "direct bury" wire at that box, using the correct wachamacallite, the clamp that holds a cable in place when it goes in or out of the box, go under the ground so it won't interfere with your gardening and into another box which will hold your lights, that you have moved. How you hold that box in place, I'm not sure, but they sell or suggest something.

Or you could just removed the lights from where they are, put covers on the boxes, and run underground, direct bury, cable all the way from the breaker box, which is what info was suggesting. (Do not try to bury the part of the cable that is in your house.)

Reply to
mm