Outdoor lighting - is a 200 watt transformer to big...

I have a 200 watt "Malibu" transformer and I want to connect 5 three tier 12V lights and two landshap lighting 20W. should I use a smaller wattage transformer? Do I have to use more lights to equal to 200 watts?

Also, I have 100 feet of 12 gauge wire do I have to use it all or can I cut what I don't need off?

Nick

Reply to
Nicolas The Great

The wattage rating is the MAXIMUM you can use. Use a single light if you wish...no problem...just a lot of excess capacity. You can use up to 10

20watt lights

You can cut the wire off, but tape./seal off the ends if it is to be buried.

Reply to
curmudgeon

Here's another bit of info from the Malibu FAQ page:

** Should transformers be used to their full capacity? ** Yes. As the load decreases, the output voltage of the transformer increases. Therefore, the life of low voltage lamps will be shortened unless the transformer is carrying close to its rated capacity. The rule of thumb is to use at least half the transformer's wattage rating.
Reply to
Vinnie Murdico

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:48:28 GMT "Vinnie Murdico" posted:

Good to know. Thanks.

Nicolas, you're planning to use the 12 gauge wire from the house to the transformer, right? You don't need heavy stuff like that for the

12v lights. No offense meant.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

Thank you and thanks to everyone else who replied. This weekend I'll try to install what I have. I hope it doesn't blow up. DL

Nick

Reply to
Nicolas The Great