Outdoor Lighting Ckt Protection Opinions.

Hiya Folks, Working on my electrical for some outdoor lighting. I am pulling wire from my breaker to a box inside the garage and from there it heads through the wall directly into the wall. My question is around GFCI. I was planning on putting in a GFCI Receptacle upstream of all the lights. One of the guys at the local Borg said he probably wouldn't bother. Another said it was a good idea. I'm just wondering if there's a recommendation for this. I know outdoor receptacles need GFCI (which this isn't) but what about lighting? Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

ground level lighting like pool lighting? Perhaps. I wouldnt put a general light such as a garage light on gfci. It just serves no purpose. If your trying to add more safety maybe you can add a AFCI.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Thanks CL. I suppose that makes sense as there's no "equipment" per se on this circuit, only lights. I'm more worried about water getting in as it is an outdoor location but the average breaker should catch that I would think. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

right, if you are worried about that then look into Arc-fault circuit breakers.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert