outdoor light fixture - multiple thread tie in!

Ah yes... which thread does this post best tie in with?

So I bought a new outdoor light fixture to replace the existing ugly generic outdoor lampholder over my back door. I also found a 23W fluorescent outdoor floodlight bulb at Lowe's (there's two, the availability of outdoor fluorescent bulb replacements and the superiority of Lowe's to Home Despot) on Saturday. This evening I decided to hang the new fixture and see how it looked. The first thing I did was unscrew the old floodlight bulb which promptly separated from its base (there's another recent thread) but was easy to remove with needle nose pliers. Then I got up close to it and looked - it's nailed into the siding, not screwed to a box! I was unable to pull the nails, I'll have to wait until my friend brings my angle grinder back. It looks like what happened was that originally there was a small porch on the back of the house, which was removed and replaced with a large deck. The siding was patched with asbestos shingles to match the rest of the house. I am guessing that there was a light in the "ceiling" of the porch and someone just cut the wire where it came through the exterior wall of the house and nailed the light fixture on to cover the hole. What a hack job. (there was just a recent thread on one of the automotive groups I frequent about "stupid things previous owners do because they apparently don't give a s**t.")

Question is this. What can I do now to easily rectify the situation? I know that I could just attach a surface box to the exterior of the siding and that would be OK, but it'd look like crap and then I couldn't use my chosen fixture. Would and old-work box be appropriate? Could I even use one here? It's just asbestos shingle over wood, but I have no idea how thick the wood sheathing is. It's real lumber I assume not plywood. I do have a scroll saw so I am tempted to try that approach, but would like some advice if I'm about to do something I'd regret in the future.

In other news, my Siemens TVSS breaker arrived today so that's installed as well. Of course, after searching three different HD's I actually saw one on the shelf at Lowe's... AFTER I'd ordered it. (there's that thread again.) Also, the fluorescent floodlights won't fit into the typical generic cast metal outdoor lampholder; the bulge at the base for the ballast prevents it from screwing in far enough. It also won't fit into the recessed can light over my sink. Oh well such is life.

Thanks for any thoughts on how to get this fixture in...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You can use a cut in gem box. The trick is the asbestos, I usually mark the box and use a 3/16 carbide bit to drill as many holes along the box outline as possible, then a fine toothed saw to cut between the holes. If you just try to use a saber saw or sawzall, because they cut on the pull, they easily chip or break the siding

Reply to
RBM