Outdoor hose fixture leaks

"dpb" wrote | Pat wrote: | > "dpb" wrote | > | Pat wrote: | > | > The faucet is now fixed. It was the simplest thing, just a few turns of | > | > a wrench. | > | | > | Which is what you were told in the first two responses within a few | > | minutes of the original posting... | >

| > ONE MORE TIME - I APOLOGIZE FOR MY STUPIDITY I DID NOT KNOW WHAT A PACKING | > NUT IS. | >

| > Geez, next time anything goes wrong around this house, I know where not to | > look for help if I need it. | >

| > You just made this lonely woman's day. | | Well, that wasn't the intent, sorry you took it that way...I was simply | pointing out that the question was answered directly and the responses | didn't _directly_ address what you did/or didn't know... | | I tried best as knew how to describe the "where" and "how" of the nut as | being that part on the valve body through which the stem protruded and | that you would need a wrench instead of a screwdriver to tighten it in | response to the next one...don't know what else I could/snould have done...

You did the best you could, given that you had no idea how dumb I was. If you encounter anyone else who says they don't know the meaning of certain specialty terms, believe them... People sometimes find themselves suddenly faced with situations so foreign that they have difficulty even describing them.

Seeing that leak gradually slowing down and stopping in response to the energy applied by my own hand was a "wow moment". I felt a sense of accomplishment and pleasure at what I had learned - suddenly "packing nut" made sense to me! And then you kind of threw my stupidity back in my face like a wet blanket, and I overreacted in the other direction.

Reply to
Pat

Yeah, I know that moment! :) Glad it worked...

And, again, the problem wasn't deliberate, and I believed it as I gave a listing/definition/description of the terms you asked about...but you didn't respond back to me (directly) that you didn't follow those but the thread went off into google searches and such that seemed pretty far afield so I quit following it closely (after pointing out the symptom of the stem itself leaking _had_ to be a misdiagnosis because there's no path to the water for a leak under the handle screw).

Anyway, _do_ come back, ahr is, overall, a pretty friendly group for usenet w/ at least a moderately high signal to noise ratio...

--

Reply to
dpb

"dpb" wrote | _do_ come back, ahr is, overall, a pretty friendly group for | usenet w/ at least a moderately high signal to noise ratio...

I probably will, since my house is falling apart around me and I've got to do it all myself. I can build like an ancient Japanese architect, but when it comes to repairs I often get lost.

Reply to
Pat