outdoor furniture

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all year. Now it`s time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What do y`all use? How about Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply

Reply to
herb white

I've never heard anything good about Thompson's. I use Penofin oil with good results.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We need to know first

-- How many seasons these have been outdoors;

-- What timber they are made of; (many users judge that Pressure-Treated Lumber and some timbers, e.g. teak, cedar, need no treatment);

-- How smooth the surface is. Some users think sanding smooth protects better than waterproofing stains.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 10:44:36 -0400, "Don Phillipson"

That is true. The only reason to treat them is the UV inhibitors help preserve the colors and prevent the natural graying of the wood. Depends on what you want as appearance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Cn you still GET oil-based water seal in your state? CA outlawed it some years ago (along with oil-based porch paint, etc.etc.) and the few times I used the water-based, I was not satisfied.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all year. Now it`s time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What do y`all use? How about Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply

I would get rid of all the horizontal boards and replace with Trex or something like that and problem solved. WW

Reply to
WW

...other than the new problem of having furniture that no longer looks of feels like wood.

Reply to
DerbyDad03