Outdoor fan connection

I am going to connect an outdoor fan directly to connections in a 15 amp electrical outlet, which in turn is connected to the main power panel. The fan will have a remote control unit, the actual remote control 'clicker' will be inside the home. All romex, connections, remote control unit, etc will be hidden above the porch ceiling. Question: In so much as there will not be an on-off switch for the fan other than the remote control 'clicker', is this considered acceptable practice per code? tia.............Shelly

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Shelly

Put in a switch those wireless units fail and missbehave.

Reply to
ransley

Only your local code enforcement office can answer that. but it would be wise to have a master control for it. Electroncs tends to fail over time.

Reply to
Twayne

Clarification needed. If you mean hard wired into the outlet, no, it is not up to code as there must be a disconnect. If you mean plugged in with a typical cord and plug, I don't think you'd have a problem as there is a manual, physical disconnect.

Local code may vary so check with proper authorities. "I read it in a newsgroup" does not carry a lot of weight with building inspectors for some reason.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is that disconnect requirement specific to outside fan installs? I see plenty of installs done inside all the time with the unit wired direct without a switch and using only a remote control. Do those meet code or not?

=A0If you mean plugged in with a

Reply to
trader4