Outdoor Christmas lights

A Loran C signal is *not* the same thing as microwave radiation.

A Loran C signal is a 100Mhz signal sent out in a precisely timed pulsed sequence.

The danger was strictly based on you becoming a path to ground for the

100 megawatts of power.

Because Loran C is supposed to be operating 100% of the time, any off- air time (or problems with the timing) that lasted over 1 minute was considered "bad time" and went on the station's record. 1 minute of bad-time ruined a "perfect month". (We once set a record for 7 perfect months in a row, in the days of 15KV vacuum tubes and mechanical-relay based transmitters)

I mention that stuff so as to explain "tower maintenance" and how it relates to getting near the tower.

When the tower needed maintenance, the "book" said to kill the signal to the tower, allow the tower tech to climb onto the tower, and then energize the tower again. It was perfectly OK to be *on* the tower while it was transmitting, you just didn't want to be "too close" to the tower. Typically, this shut-down, tower-mounting and power-on sequence took less than a minute, so a station didn't ruin a perfect month over a burnt out lightbulb or some other mundane tower problem.

In reality, because the tower techs knew that shutting down the transmitter might present problems, and were sensitive to the records that stations were trying to set, most were willing to "jump the tower". This was accomplished by running towards the tower and jumping onto the concrete base with the tower energized. Of course, we never "allowed" this practice, always "protesting" vehemently - usually to no avail - but the log books would always state that the tech took it upon himself to jump the tower.

I've never seen (or heard of) anyone getting hurt via this practice, but I have seen people serious injured while working on the transmitters themselves. High voltage capacitors, such as the largest ones in this picture, pack quite a punch when the grounding system fails to do its job.

I've seen caps charge up to over 5KV just by sitting on the workbench of the transmitter building without a shorting strap attached. We used to charge them up with a Hi-Pot and then short them out with a dead- man stick (with the lights off of course) to show the "newbies" why they should never be in the transmiter building without a journeyman transmitter technician. After seeing the demo, some guys wouldn't even go *near* the building!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

[...]

WOW...Some of the things you learn here....LOVE the stories as well...LOL..Thanks....

Reply to
benick

Did any of them end up with cataracts?

TDD