Outdoor ceramic tile

Hello,
I am planning to put tile over the cement floor in a covered screened in porch. The area is covered, but only screened in, therefore it is exposed, somewhat to elements eg. snow, rain, and freeze thaw cycles (I live in Wisconsin). I realize that I must purchase certain tiles rated for outdoor freeze cycles, but do any of you have any other pointers, such as to thinset, and grout etc? Any other special outdoor installation considerations?
Thanks
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com
Joe and Maria writes:

You want porcelain tile with its near-zero water absorbtion. Dunno what you mean by "rated for outdoor".
Does the floor birdbath now when it rains? If so, you will have problems with any tile unless remediated.
Is there any disadvantage to porcelain, such as being more fragile? I have read that all tile boxes are stamped with a rating of the amount /degree of freeze thaw cycles they have been tested for. I will definitely check for any standing water points. Thanks for the tips.
Anyone else?
Joe and Maria writes:

No. Porcelain is harder and stronger. Narrow scrsps (the size of a pencil) can be hard to snap in your hand. The disadvantage is (potentially) the cost, since it is fired longer.

It would seem that freezing is something they either take or don't, based on water absorption.
Most of the tile at Home Depot or Lowes doesn't have proper technical ratings like WA. Some of it does, and whether it does or not seems to have no correspondence to its cost.
On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:55:11 GMT, "Joe and Maria"

What you really want is slate. You can use it outdoors or indoors or both.