Outdoor Board For Siding Edge Bottom: What Type Of Wood To Use ?

Hello:
Have vertical house siding that I would like to "finish off" by running a long board horizontally along the bottom edge.
Probable something like 6" wide by 3/4 thick, in 8 foot length(s).
Can I get away with the regular Pine wood boards for this ? I will be painting it.
Or, must / should I use cedar, or... ?
Thanks, Bob

It is possible to use pine, but the likelihood of it rotting are far greater than other materials. I'd use cedar, cypress, Spanish cedar as they are much more rot resistant.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Whatever you use, position the trim board so that there is a 1/8 or greater gap with the vertical siding. If the trim is butted up against the siding end-grain, water will collect and be sucked up the vertical boards, rotting them. You might even consider a small piece of Z-flashing in copper or galv. iron, that separates the two - then you could make the trim gapless.