Our small comunity is moving a historic house

I thought I would share the story of our small Ohio community. We raised $68,000 in a very short time to move an historic old house. You can learn more about the project and see photos of the house here:

karen.holt

The house probably qualifies for the National Historic Registry. Once placed on the registry, tell the state to move the road.

Years ago, our city told a granny they were going to cut down five oak trees at the front of her property to widen the road, but were willing to negotiate compensation.

"You are not going to cut down the trees," said granny.

"Oh yes we are. If you don't agree to compensation, we'll take you to court. We've never lost such a case."

"Those trees were hand-planted by King Gustav V of Sweden to commenorate the Swedish war dead in the Great War. They are listed in the national registry of historic places. Plus, they're probably on foreign soil inasmuch as this house used to be the Swedish Consulate in the '20s."

The city moved the road.

Reply to
HeyBub

We didn't really have time to pursue NHR status, as we only had 6 months before the house would be destroyed. The house was privately owned.

So we decide to move the house, and the house is currently up on supports getting ready for the move.

Reply to
karen.holt

You should be able to move it cross-country for 68 grand.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Across the street is even cheaper, but I don't know for certain.

-- Oren

Oren

I can appreciate your effort. Any chance of ODOT access (interchange/exit) in close proximity of the property where the house is moved? Tourist would want to visit and desire easy access. Maybe the house moving company can make a pledge; further reducing cost and expense for a two mile move. Ask, please.

-- Oren

Oren

Speaking of house moving, consider this picture:

(Here's a smaller URL: ).

See the building with the reddish roof in the center, north of the parking lot? That building was not originally there. It was moved in.

I was living in the apartment building next to it to the north at the time, and have no idea how the hell they did that move. I saw them build a foundation for it. They finished that one day, and when I went to bed, that is all there was there: a foundation with nothing on it. I had no idea they were going to move something there--I thought they were building a new building. I didn't see anyone taking down streetlights, or clearing trees, or anything, around the roads leading to the site.

When I woke up the next morning, the building was sitting in the parking let, next to the foundation, on 144 wheels. Over the next few days, they moved it onto the foundation.

What puzzles me is that I can't see how the hell they got it in there. It was in one piece, as far as I could see. It came from about 8 miles away (from Temple City, which is to the southeast, if you zoom the map out a bit). I don't see any route out of that area that is big enough for that thing.

This is actually the second puzzling movement incident I've seen, although the other was much smaller. At a place I worked, we had a machine for printing blueprints. This thing was huge. It was about 10 feet wide, and something like 5 feet deep, and 4 feet tall. It was in an interior room, with one door. There were two routes to that door. One from the front door, which went past the secretary and the door to the co-founder's office. The other went through a long hallway, around a tight corner, and past a lab.

One day, at just before noon, someone used the blueprint machine, and then went to lunch. When they got back, it was missing. The secretary and co-founder had been in during that whole time (and the co-founder's door was open, giving him a clear view). I was in my office on the long hallway, with my door open, and I was facing the hall. Same for a couple other programmers.

We later found out it was repo men. But how the hell did they take it with no one noticing? It was huge and heavy, and would take at least two, and probably three, men to slowly move.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Not a good reason now, too not have a historical marker placed adjacent to the exact property. Still pursue; some type of marker now, for the future.

-- Oren

Oren