Ouch! cracked Plasma TV front glass

Page 1 of 3
Hi, Any one experienced this? Accident occurred(falling object off the wall) hit the glass and cracked it making spider web. Picture is still normal. When I called two TV repair shops I was told, not worth the trouble replacing the glass panel. I can claim on my house insurance(never claimed anything) SWMBO says, buy a bigger new TV. This is 58in. Panasonic set a few years old. What should I do I am wondering. For new one I am leaning to LED one this time. Less power consumption, whole lot lighter than Plasma set. Any opinions/advices? TIA

your old one is 58, I am guessing you have a large viewing area.
Power usage for Plasma could be a much as 5 times the cost. Even more if you crank up the eye candy settings.

Replace. Another plasma.
On 7/18/12 8:10 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Bunch of stuff here: > http://www.avsforum.com/f /
Tony Hwang wrote:

It's Panasonic, parent company matsuSHITa, if it's more than a week old they don't want to know about it. I once had to harass matsuSHITa techs in NJ for two weeks to get some docs on a 3 year old OEM monitor. Ditch it and get something Korean, LG or Samsung. Both are good, I'm fond of LG.

No, the name of the corporation is Panasonic. Matsushita is no longer.

A lie. I have two Panasonics (both 42"), one is five years old. At three years, they replaced the power supply, on their dime, including labor for the tech to drive 100miles (round trip). The warranty was one year, yet they covered it with little fuss. When I wanted another set, there was no question that it was going to be a Panasonic.

Since you don't even know the name of the company, or who the "techs" worked for, the rest of your story is doubtful.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

SFB, matsuSHITa is the parent company of the Panasonic, Techniques, Quasar and probably a number of other brands.

Wrong.
On 7/19/2012 1:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Actually, Matsushita _was_ Panasonic originally (from 1918 roughly?) altho setup as different brand names. In 2008 Matsushita retired the founder's name in favor of Panasonic and essentially reorganized/renamed the company dropping Matsushita.
SANYO became a subsidiary in 2009.
I'm not sure about but a quick look doesn't show Quasar/Techniques/others as subsidiaries...a more than thorough recounting is available at
<http://panasonic.net/history/

That's not right either. The link below doesn't say what you think it does. The *company* goes back to 1918 but the "Panasonic" name dates only back to the '50s. It was known as "National" before that but they couldn't use the name in the US (there was already a "National Radio") so came up with the "Panasonic" (Pan-American-Sound, or some such) brand.

Yes, it was started/run by a relative (cousin, IIRC) and absorbed, as you say.

I think the Wikipedia article goes into some more detail but I haven't looked it up in a while.
On 7/19/2012 10:40 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Matsushita is no longer used as a corporate name. The name was dropped around 2008. The company uses Panasonic as the corporate parent name now globally.
Panasonic is a very trustworthy name so that's why they changed the name. Plamsa TVs are a Panasonic strength.
Does SFB means shit for brains? It used to in the old IRC days. Because if it does, you may want to retract that on this particular issue.
Duesenberg wrote:

A very recent name change does not in any way mean that matsuSHITa was not indeed the parent company of Panasonic. As for Panasonic quality, I spent far too many years having to use their garbage and having it fail right out of the factory sealed box to consider it remotely trustworthy.
On 7/19/2012 9:17 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Why did you use the term SFB in this thread? SFB usually means shit for brains. Why did you call somebody SFB when they were posting correct information?
If your use of SFB did not stand for shit for brains then what was your intended meaning?

Panasonic *IS* the parent company. You said it was Matsushita, which is false, and then went on your rant. I don't expect an apology. STFU, would be enough.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

Panasonic is the 2008 renamed matsuSHITa which was long the parent company SFB. Regardless of what name they call themselves now they still make shit products.

So you freely admit that you're liar. Fair enough.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

You prove again and again that you're a SFB. The company history clearly shows matsuSHITa as the parent company up until the 2008 name change.

It's not my fault that you're *that* dense; too stupid to even use Google.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

Troll... *plonk*

Aw, poor baby had a public tantrum.