OTish What kind of electric razor is best?

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 3:22:56 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: Then I had a

I agree...had one Remington rotary clone...awful in every way!

Reply to
bob_villa

By "it" I meant the lightweight all plastic razors that I like

If I had no good razor at all, I might buy a box of these disposeable one, but I still have a couple that accepts replacement blades. They used one to shave a small part of my body to attach electrodes or something. Years ago they shaved one whole shoulder before surgery. It's amazing how it grows back at the same length as it was.

I havent' noticed a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I bought 200 Turkish blades, but that was to prepare for the future. Now I have a full beard and don't even shave my neck very often.

There are two basic styles to electric razors, like scissors or like a scythe. Norelco are more like scissors, because both the spinning blade and the head that keeps the blade from touching the skin are sharpened. The Ronson and Sunbeam of 40 years ago (not sure about today) are more like scythes. There's still a screen, because if there weren't, the blade would stay still and the rest of the razor would oscillate, and the screen is probably sharp, because they make it as thin as possible**. But I dont think the sharpness of the screen is involved in cutting the whiskers. Rather it's the blade swinging by that cuts off the whiskers. And I think it's this action that pushes little pieces of hair into the pores. Not the scissors action of a Norelco-style.

(BTW Norelco was North American Electic Company iirc.)

**The Ronson screen was so thin that if one failed to use a light touch on the razor, if he pushed the razor against the skin, the skin would push through the holes and get chopped off by the moving blade. An area as big as a square inch, made up of dots of blood, sort of like the way the newspaper funny papers are printed, one dot for each hole in the screen. I cut myself 2 or 3 times when I first got the razor. After that I don't think I did.
Reply to
micky

Many years ago, after I got my new razor...the first time I shaved my wife touched my face, grinned and then said "Handsome boy!"

So what. For the previous six years, there was hardly a day I had not heard my wife say, "Handsome boy!"

One significant difference though.

That was the first time she was talking to me...and not the cat!

Reply to
philo

Who shaves the cat?

Reply to
Neill Massello

LOL

Use my cats for making sure no mice get in here alive.

Not likely I'd survive too well if I tried to shave one.

Anyway, when it comes to being good looking, even if I shave, the cat is still better looking than I am.

Reply to
philo

Wax job is for the pussy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You were supposed to say "Who shaves the Pussy"! :)

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I have tried most razors and I have found that the Braun cold comfort is th e best, especially if (as seems likely if you need to post this query) you are new at shaving. The only slight downside is that while the shaver batte ry lasts 7-10 days, it doesn't hold enough power to power the cooling 'pad' for more than 3-4 days. Which may not matter if you can put the unit in t hat massive charger base unit every day. But that charger unit is so huge because it actually solves a problem which either doesnt exist (the need to sterilise the razor after use) OR it only exists if you happen to live in a leper colony where residents share their shavers.

If you dont want to pay for the Braun Cooltec, Panasonic has a model which can do as good a job for about $25 but the motor moves MUCH slower so a sh ave can seem to take an age to complete! And you may need to spend 10 secon ds going over the shave with a blade to make sure you got rid of all the lo nger hairs.

Reply to
DManzaluni

Every face is different.

On my face, triple headers give a closer shave, foil types give a more comfortable shave. I never found one that did both.

YMMV.

Reply to
TimR

One more thing which I have been aware of since my dad used a new Sunbeam i n the 1950s. They recommended oil for the blades every few months. When he bought a new one with a dizzy three blades in it as opposed to one, this r ecommendation was dropped and I didnt see it again till I read the instruct ions in the Cooltec.

So I tried it with all my old lousy-performing electric shavers.

SUDDENLY, THEY ALL STARTED PERFORMING AMAZINGLY!!!

Reply to
DManzaluni

philo posted for all of us...

+1 Ditto