OTish What kind of electric razor is best?

Page 2 of 2

I've about given up. Some 50 - 60 years ago I had great luck with Norelco. But the last ten or fifteen years I can't find a good electric. Norelco, Remington, you name it. The just don't shave well.
No luck with cheap disposable reazors. I've currently been using my father's Rolls Razor but am ready to give up, can't get a close smooth shave - tried honing it several times and very frequent stropping and various soaps, even soapless oil for shaving.
The one razor that works for me is the Hydro 5 but the blades are quite expensive, <sigh> Either that or grow a beard.
There are really only two types nowadays: Foil head and rotary head.
For what it's worth, the Norelco "rotary" type razor only has a fraction of the shaving area that a foil type razor has. That's why I stopped using it.
On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 12:44:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Who cares what the shaving area is, as long as it does the job??? What's the shaving "area" of a safety razor??? About 2 inches by half a thou??? Multiply by 2 or 3 for a twin or triple blade.
I won't let a disposable touch my face any more - when I want a REAL clean shave I finish up with a Gilette Trac 3 and C.O. Bigelo Elixer Black bath and body wash from Bath & Body Works - in the shower.
Normal daily shave is the Philips Rotary Mower - AKA weed wacker.
Many years ago, after I got my new razor...the first time I shaved my wife touched my face, grinned and then said "Handsome boy!"
So what. For the previous six years, there was hardly a day I had not heard my wife say, "Handsome boy!"
One significant difference though.
That was the first time she was talking to me...and not the cat!

Who shaves the cat?
On 04/03/2015 10:41 AM, Neill Massello wrote:

LOL
Use my cats for making sure no mice get in here alive.
Not likely I'd survive too well if I tried to shave one.
Anyway, when it comes to being good looking, even if I shave, the cat is still better looking than I am.
On 4/3/2015 11:41 AM, Neill Massello wrote:

Wax job is for the pussy.
On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:41:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

You were supposed to say "Who shaves the Pussy"! :)
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 8:38:25 PM UTC-4, Seymore4Head wrote:

I have tried most razors and I have found that the Braun cold comfort is th e best, especially if (as seems likely if you need to post this query) you are new at shaving. The only slight downside is that while the shaver batte ry lasts 7-10 days, it doesn't hold enough power to power the cooling 'pad' for more than 3-4 days. Which may not matter if you can put the unit in t hat massive charger base unit every day. But that charger unit is so huge because it actually solves a problem which either doesnt exist (the need to sterilise the razor after use) OR it only exists if you happen to live in a leper colony where residents share their shavers.
If you dont want to pay for the Braun Cooltec, Panasonic has a model which can do as good a job for about $25 but the motor moves MUCH slower so a sh ave can seem to take an age to complete! And you may need to spend 10 secon ds going over the shave with a blade to make sure you got rid of all the lo nger hairs.
Every face is different.
On my face, triple headers give a closer shave, foil types give a more comfortable shave. I never found one that did both.
YMMV.
One more thing which I have been aware of since my dad used a new Sunbeam i n the 1950s. They recommended oil for the blades every few months. When he bought a new one with a dizzy three blades in it as opposed to one, this r ecommendation was dropped and I didnt see it again till I read the instruct ions in the Cooltec.
So I tried it with all my old lousy-performing electric shavers.
SUDDENLY, THEY ALL STARTED PERFORMING AMAZINGLY!!!