OTish What kind of electric razor is best?

Page 1 of 2
What kind of electric razor is best? How often do you change the blades?
On 04/01/2015 07:36 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

I have had three Norelcos in the past 30 years or so.
I've never replaced or sharpened the blades.
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 7:49:53 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:

I agree, and the better models are made in the Holland, I believe.

Norelco in the US, Philips in Canada - same machine. I'm on razor #5? replaced blades perhaps 2 or 3 times - about 45 years of shaving.
On 4/1/2015 10:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

+1 on the Norelco stuff. I've used AC powered Norelcos for 47 years. Usually the blades seem to go after a year or so. However, about 2 years ago I was in Walmart and they had a close out on Lithium Ion rechargeable for not much more than a new set of blades. I bought it and really like it. I charge it once a month and the blades are still working well. The woman that cuts my hair couldn't believe that I used an electric shaver.
philo posted for all of us...

+1 Ditto
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:36:55 -0400, Seymore4Head

I've been partial to the Philips style rotaries for about 45 years. Blades last me about 5 years.
On 4/1/2015 10:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Just looking at mine, it's now Norelco Phillips.
I recommend this type too. The heads not only have holes but also have slits. Makes it easier not to miss a hair.
With the screen type vibrating razors which also work well if a hair slips by and gets longer it may no longer be cut by the screen and you end up with a stray hair.
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 8:30:36 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Last time i bought an electric shaver, i accidently bought a corded version instead of battery oprerated. Turned out to be a good mistake. It has p lenty of power and never had to fuss with charging and changing batteries. And i have never traveled to a place that does not have power at the sink
Mark

I had to toss an old Norelco because of this. When battery gave out it would not even work when plugged in.
The new one however can be used even in the shower as it is essentially water proof. They recommend washing it with hot water after shaving.
On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:36:55 -0400, Seymore4Head

Some eletric razors will grind up your whiskers and paste them in your pores, making pimples, especially if you're young.
I got rid of my pimples by growing a beard when I was 18 or 19. I actually thought it would make things worse, because it would be harder to watch my face, but I've concluded a) the grease was removed from my face by going down the whiskers, b) the whiskers were not choopped and forced into my pores. I should have grown it earlier like when I was 14. I had a Ronson, which had a very thin screen and an oscillating set of half-circle blades in parallel.
Since then I've used a razor with double-edged blades. Hard to get blades made in US now, and the ones they sell are expensive and covered in platinum and I think that's some sort of con, so I bougtht blades on ebay made in Turkey. I don't use soap because it's hard to know where to shave with soap. New blades are so sharp it's hard to avoid cutting myself, but old blades are bad too becaue they get dull. Maybe I have a tough beard. . The most important thing is that the razor itself weigh as little as possible. An all plastic razor is best, becaues it's light. I bought 10 of them for 10 cents apiece, on Canal St. in NYC. If I'd known how good hey were I'd have bought 100. Most of the 10 have broken or gotten lost. I think I ony have one.
The all metal razor my father used to use is the worst, because it weighs a lot.
They sell razors just like it for medical offices, but the whole thing is considered disposeable and from looking at the webpage, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the blades.

Shitty blades will cut you every time - good sharp blades are best if you are using a "safety razor" Dull blades are terrible.
I have a tough beard. I tried a foil razor and all it did was give me razor burn. I went back to the safety razor untill I tried the philips "rotary mower". First one was a twin-headed corded model. Then I had a tripple head corded, and have had tripple headed cordless ever since. I bought ONE Remington rotary -basically a clone of the Philips Norelco, and it was NOT a good razor.- It worked well when it worked, but didn't work long.
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 3:22:56 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: Then I had a

I agree...had one Remington rotary clone...awful in every way!
On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:22:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

By "it" I meant the lightweight all plastic razors that I like

If I had no good razor at all, I might buy a box of these disposeable one, but I still have a couple that accepts replacement blades. They used one to shave a small part of my body to attach electrodes or something. Years ago they shaved one whole shoulder before surgery. It's amazing how it grows back at the same length as it was.

I havent' noticed a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I bought 200 Turkish blades, but that was to prepare for the future. Now I have a full beard and don't even shave my neck very often.

There are two basic styles to electric razors, like scissors or like a scythe. Norelco are more like scissors, because both the spinning blade and the head that keeps the blade from touching the skin are sharpened. The Ronson and Sunbeam of 40 years ago (not sure about today) are more like scythes. There's still a screen, because if there weren't, the blade would stay still and the rest of the razor would oscillate, and the screen is probably sharp, because they make it as thin as possible**. But I dont think the sharpness of the screen is involved in cutting the whiskers. Rather it's the blade swinging by that cuts off the whiskers. And I think it's this action that pushes little pieces of hair into the pores. Not the scissors action of a Norelco-style.
(BTW Norelco was North American Electic Company iirc.)
**The Ronson screen was so thin that if one failed to use a light touch on the razor, if he pushed the razor against the skin, the skin would push through the holes and get chopped off by the moving blade. An area as big as a square inch, made up of dots of blood, sort of like the way the newspaper funny papers are printed, one dot for each hole in the screen. I cut myself 2 or 3 times when I first got the razor. After that I don't think I did.
On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:36:55 -0400, Seymore4Head

I personally hate electric razors. They pinch skin, pull hair and generally hurt. I have tried many over the years and never liked any of them. Plus they are much slower than a razor with a blade.
I have used an old adjustable double edge razor most of my life, and it works the best, and the blades are cheap too. I've tried those disposible razors too, and they work, but they get dull real fast, and they are an environmental polluter. I get about five times the amount of shaves out of one double edge blade than I get from those disposible razors.
Sure, on a rare occasion I do get a shaving cut, but one cut is far less painful than constantly being pinched by an electric razor.
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 5:07:38 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wro te:

I used blades most of my life, and the experiences with electrics weren't v ery good. Whenever I used/tried someones electric...it would irritate my fa ce and neck. I read where your face needs to get used to the razor...not un like when you 1st use a blade. Time wise...I don't see much difference.
On 4/1/2015 8:36 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

My experience from 50 yrs+ of electric shaving:
Foil (non-rotary) head razor - shaves closer than rotary head razors but tend to cause more skin irritation unless you use a silicon based facial lubricant (such as "L'ectric Shave) before each shave. That's especially important in warm weather months when your skin is more likely to be a little damp. If you don't shave for a few days, the longer beard length makes the shave uncomfortable and somewhat tedious. The foil wears through from abrasion by the vibrating blade underneath after a few years of use and the enlarged holes produce skin nicks requiring replacement of the foil. The blade usually is dull by then and it's best to replace both the blade and the foil at the same time.
Rotary head razor - not quite as close a shave as foil, but the more expensive rotary heads shave closer than the cheaper rotary heads. You can get a very adequate shave with a good quality rotary head (unless your beard is black and a visible "shadow" is likely to persist) but it might take an extra 20-30 seconds compared to using a foil head. Much less likely to cause skin irritation when the skin is slightly damp. I still use a silicon skin lubricant when I have to shave with damp skin but never need to use it otherwise. The blades are self-sharpening and don't require replacement unless you've dropped the razor and dented the head/blade assembly. I've never had a rotary head wear through, even after 15+ years of daily use.
My beard is very light in color so I've used a rotary razor exclusively for the past 15+ years.
In summary - If you have tough skin and a dark beard, you may be more satisfied with a foil razor. If you have normal to sensitive skin and a medium to light colored beard, you may be more satisfied with a rotary razor.
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 7:38:25 PM UTC-5, Seymore4Head wrote:

Something you may or may not know...rotary shaver's cutter/cup are honed together and shouldn't be mixed with the other two. RTFM!
On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:36:55 -0400, Seymore4Head

    Listen to all the geeks.     I use a straight razor.     Never change the blades.     ;)     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Years ago I used a rotary Norelco for several years. Then I bought a Remington foil shaver. It was the difference between night and day. Much better shave and much faster. I have tried a couple different brands of foil shavers over the years and none have been as good as the Remington. Most recently, which is about the past 10+ years I've been using what is now a discontinued model Remington that uses ms-69 (I think that's the part number) blade and foil. They last about a year and for $20 I buy a new set. I have been using rechargeable and have worn out the shavers (after several years) before ever having a battery go bad. They recharged in 15 minutes and lasted a week between charges. Fry's electronics used to sell the whole rechargeable shaver for $25 on sale, sometimes even less. The current models do not seem as good to me, they don't have an always on long hair trimmer that also has two popup positions like the old ones did and have a newer "head" that seems even smaller. One thing I have noticed over the years is that the surface area of the head keeps shrinking. The surface area of the first Remington I had was probably 10x as much as their current similarly priced models.
In any case, if I was shopping for a new shaver I would look first to remington models before looking at others. And I would stick with the cutter/foil style rather then rotary. Back when I used rotary it caught and pulled the whiskers a lot and never shaved as close as the foil style.