OTish Alarm clocks

Page 2 of 2
On 9/26/2015 3:23 PM, Don Y wrote:

Hubby slept through tornado sirens, hail, and the tv blaring away giving a play by play as the tornado jumped, disappeared, and was next seen about a half mile away from our house.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

When I was in the army boot camp I could sleep marching. If it was time for break, I bump into guy in front waking me up. When we run into down pour we could clean our sweat/dirt soaked fatigue by rubbing soap bar all over. Quick laundry...
On 9/27/2015 3:19 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Do what ya gotta do!
--
Maggie

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:23:11 -0700, Don Y

I had a clock radio with an outlet in college, and a flexible gooseneck lamp into which I put a floodlight, that shone on my head. At the appointed time the light woke me up. It didn't make me pay attention, however.

Good for her!

On 9/26/2015 9:16 PM, micky wrote:

I'll remember your sentiment if I ever find myself grasping at my chest in the middle of the night, calling out for her to dial "911"...
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 21:38:43 -0700, Don Y

But that's only once every few years. You wouldn't want a wife who didn't get much sleep and woke up cranky most mornings, would you?
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 21:38:43 -0700, Don Y

Even though you liive with someone, you may need to get one of those medicalerts necklaces, just for occasions like you describe.
On 09/26/2015 03:23 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

That's why I used an electronic annunciator rather than a mechanical buzzer.

I used a 1000uF capacitor, which operated the buzzer for about 15 seconds (with gradually decreasing volume). This was about what I wanted. I got a "free" timer to limit how long the alarm sounded.

I think about that happening when I hear a toilet refilling itself during the night. I hope that sound doesn't last very long.

I know someone who was like that. He was taking a LOT of pain medication.
--
89 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 9/27/2015 11:48 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yup. Like the roommate with his sonalert powered alarm. Not only do they draw very little power, but they also target a "sensitive" portion of the audio spectrum (for our ears). So, less power still has more impact!

Understood. Our "house guest" used to sit and laugh at us each morning (nice guy, eh? We're paying the rent and he's "thanking us" in this way!) as we would try to get away from the noise. (He wouldn't tell us the "secret" to turning off/acknowledging the alarm)

I heard it through a shut door, across and *down* the hall. I was actually surprised at how easily I woke to this! Which has led me to wonder how many other sounds/distractions might be waking me at night -- but "dismissed" as unimportant to my half-sleeping mind?

She just sleeps soundly. REALLY soundly! I was completely flabbergasted! I work very late at night so actually got up and walked down the street to see what the commotion was about. When I mentioned it to her the next morning, she looked at me like I was fabricating the story -- no evidence persists the morning after!
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 14:52:14 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Around 1956 to 64, my brother had an electric alarm clock with a 1/4" hole in the face, below the 12, and behind the hole was a little moveable piece of sheet metal, painted red.
While the power was on, the magnet in the motor held the metal up, away from the hole.
If the power went off, the metal fell down and the red on it was visible through the hole.
If the power went back on, it wasn't enough to lift the metal. So when one woke up, he could tell if there had been a power failure in the night and his clock might be wrong.
How simple.
I might still have the clock.

Seymore4Head wrote:

Most alarm clocks uses AC plug in(source of time base, 60Hz) Battery is often used for back up power source during power failure. What is a big deal making an alarm clock. Just using a digital clock module and wiring it up with some switches to set time and alarm.
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 18:52:09 -0400, Seymore4Head

And now, we find out that Ahmed's account of interactions with his teachers was not accurate, as I originally reported. He said he showed it to the first teacher and the teacher thought it was cool. What actually occurred was that "the teacher saw it and he said, 'what, are you doing, bringing this to school? This is wholly inappropriate. Go put that in your locker and never bring it out again.' He didn't. He brings it to another class, and it starts to count down. The teacher is freaking out saying, 'what is that?'"
Did you catch that? Yes—a clock that "counts down." Gee, clocks don't countdown. What does count down? Oh right – a BOMB! Ahmed neglected to provide that little innocuous detail.
http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/09/the-muslim-clock-boy-is-a-set-up-2/
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 19:52:38 -0400, Seymore4Head

That's what I heard the first day the story broke. Fewer details but that was the gist. That doesn't contradict what you said the kid said, that the teacher said it was cool. Of course the teacher said it was cool, and he also said, as I reported here, that he said not to show it to anyone.

It also might not be true or totally true. It's not just first reports that have mistakes.
But most likely is that it's a combination. My watch both keeps time and counts down, depending on the buttons I push.
If the buzzer went off in school, it had already counted up to the set time, or down to zero. Unless they waited 24 more hours, they would have had to set the timer again to see it count down. Or they would have had to press some buttons to set it. Not knowing what exactly the buttons did .

"The first thing to be discovered was that the homemade clock was not homemade, but merely a stripped-down, disassembled, 30+-year-old RadioShack digital clock. So, he lied about that."
If this is accurate, it's no more a lie than all the people who say "I built my own computer" which is the standard way of expressing it. I'm precise, so I say, "I assembled my own computer" because all one does is mount the mobo to the case and plug in the various boards and connectors. If the kid "disassembled" as your own source says he did, and reassembled it, that is "making" it by the casual standards used by most people. Check out the computer hardward newsgroup and ask them if you don't believe me.
The rest of the article is similar.