Other Kinds of Trimmers?

Page 1 of 2
Been reading the great thread on string trimmers, and am wondering if there are other kinds.
yes.

http://www.allproducts.com/garden/wise/Product-2008312145255.html
http://www.allproducts.com/tool/winland/18-grass_shears.html
http://www.allproducts.com/tool/winland/19-grass_shears.html
http://www.allproducts.com/tool/winland/21-grass_shears.html
http://www.allproducts.com/tool/shanggu/17-grassshears-s203tcm.html
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID 1523
http://www.tooled-up.com/PopupImage.aspx?PID 1523&IMG=1
http://www.tooled-up.com/PopupZoom.aspx?PID 9705

Scissors, teenager, $5 bill. :)

Scissors, teenager, $5 bill = teenager laughing in your face.

=Teenager doing without....

Keep dreaming.
Well, we're way past it, but OUR teenagers (years ago) didn't refuse to do chores unless they wanted to sit at home on the weekend.

Keep dreaming.

My Stihl hasnt been needed in years, I roundup around everything then burn it black a few weeks later. What did everyone do before String trimmers came out maybe 25 years ago, use a herbicide and burn, it saves money and alot of weekly time.

My Stihl hasnt been needed in years, I roundup around everything then burn it black a few weeks later. What did everyone do before String trimmers came out maybe 25 years ago, use a herbicide and burn, it saves money and alot of weekly time.
+++++++++++++++++++++
I'm not a roundup fan.

I'm wondering how he burns things that are right up against the foundation of his house.
gas and diesel mix in a garden sprayer and a match.

Edgers, yes there are units with metal blades specifically for edging but nothing that I know of that really replaces the string trimmer for trimming around beds and trees. The alternative used to be hand trimmers or a good hoe.

Do you know a good hoe? I sure could use one!
Mine got busted last week, it looks like she's getting 30 days.
cybercat wrote:

Certainly. I recall using a "golf club" style trimmer years ago, basically just a double sided V notched blade at the bottom you just swung back and forth. Very simple, inexpensive and not particularly strenuous to use either.

Sound like it works pretty well so why did you stop using it?
Frank wrote:

I got a Shindaiwa T270 that will do truly scary things like going through a 2" dia tree in a fraction of a second with a brush blade on it. It's also faster when trimming long areas and can trim up directly against a foundation which the golf club type can't quite do.

There are wheeled string trimmers. The DR Trimmer is probably the best of that lot. www.drtrimmer.com
Great when you have lots of trimming, very heavy trimming, slopes, around ponds, etc. With their chainsaw style blade accessory it will cut through 3-4" dia saplings.
Paul F.

Would it actually be possible to "mow" with such a device if the yard is small?