OTA antenna mount

does she have a good insurance policy on you?

Reply to
FreeTheBirthCert

If this is a one-time job, and if you have a way to haul it, you can rent a long ladder for a day pretty cheap. Good long ladders are expensive.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

You may want to rent a one man lift, may be referred to as a cherry picker. Also look at finding someone that has a bucket truck that will install the antenna for you.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I doubt you'd encounter a detectable difference between an antenna in the attic and one mounted above the roof. The difference in height would be, what, four feet?

Reply to
HeyBub

Under roof costs about a 30% signal loss thru normal plywood sheathing and shingles.

Add rain or snow even greater loss, espically bad with digital signals.......

Outside is the only weay to go!

and add rotor for most reliable reception

Reply to
bob haller

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:SfadnYB424uYVrbXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I did think about this option but access to the side of the house is impossible due to obstructions, slope, neighbor's house. If I can find a

40ft ladder with 'wings' it would do the trick.
Reply to
GoHabsGo

nZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

given the obstructed site and lack of experience and proper tools why not get a quote from a experienced installer?

might save lots of effort and risk.

Reply to
bob haller

.dc1.easynews.com:

Just put it on the peak of your roof, and screw it into the rafters / trusses thru the shingles. closer to the peak mean less water run off from above, pre drill the holes and fill them with some good goop then bolt a tripod stand down. if you goop it well, it shouldn't leak for a while, check it once a year and your good.

ps.. go leafs.

Reply to
Zephyr

Zephyr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h23g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

With freezing, thawing, wind, rain, snow attacking those holes, it is only a matter of time before it will leak. It is almost guaranteed to do so. I will avoid any penetration of my shingles for this reason. I had a previous installation of a dish on my previous home's roof that was all gooped up and still leaked.

If I was a Leaf fan, I would be good to go with my CBC HD transmission from the CN Tower. At least I'll see them play the Habs a few times a year.

Larry

Reply to
GoHabsGo

I used a "tripod" mount on my roof. It's held in place by three good sized wood screws through the singles and roof sheathing. One leg of the tripod is held to the angle bracket via a bolt and nut. When you put a mast on the tripod you can remove that bolt and tilt it over. One person can install things if you have a board to keep the system from completely flopping over in "tilt" mode.

I have a 6' mast in the tripod with a rotator and another 6' mast with antenna. Because of overlap, etc. the antenna is about 11' above the ridge.

I used sealing compound under the bracket and over the "lag screw." You don't really have to worry much about roof leaks from holes near the ridge because there just isn't much water up there. It's toward the bottom that you have to be careful about holes in the shingles.

I am a nut for grounding. I have #6 copper running from the tripod and mast to both ends of the ridge and into separate grounds which are also bonded to the house ground.

I used RG-59 but I will soon replace it with RG-6 to get a little more signal. There are tall trees around our property and our antenna still isn't high enough. Maybe I will put in a 10' mast and have a more direct run when I put in the RG-6.

With the transition to digital, I fear I may end up with less stations because I can't get reliable service on the digital version of several channels. (We are about 60-70 miles from the transmitter towers.)

Reply to
John Gilmer