OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:58:23 -0400, aemeijers wrote: ....

I found out years into it that whenever someone rang my doorbell when I wasn't home, usually the mailman, it set off my burglar alarm. Most people weren't home and no one complained. It just came up in conversation.

I foudn a nicer doorbell on sale for 60% off, so I bought it and put the other one in the basement. Then it turned out I needed a bigger doorbell transformer to run both, and when I got the bigger one it rang the main floor bell louder than the previous bell had rung, which set off the glass/wood breakage detector, and the alarm.

Didn't want to make the two detectors less sensitive, so I put a resistor in the power supply to the main floor bell. Used a potentiometer until I got a good value, measured the value of the pot at that point, and replaced it with a fixed resistor.

Reply to
mm

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

it doesn't. Unless you have a paging alarm.

Yeah,and if it were their car being broken into or stolen,they'd bitch and whine. GOOD neighbors look out for each other.

I do. Even at 3 AM.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Then there's Pennsylvania: Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between...

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:eIqdnXaKEO8ADJHTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

We were going to visit somewhere in between to go hot air ballooning, but I don't want to go to Alabama . So I'll disregard your remark for now.

(YMMV, and all kinds of LOL and so forth)

Reply to
Han

Yup yup yup

similar trip I will go 50+ miles out of my way to avoid the DC area entirely. Seems like you barely get past Richmond before it starts to back up.

nate

Reply to
N8N

VW definitely improved both heaters and crashworthiness over the years. I was never afraid to drive anywhere in my watercooled VWs and took my Scirocco to northern VT over new years' Y2K.

I lost track of the number of times I was rear-ended in both the roccet and my GTI 16V... never any damage to *my* car (hee hee hee)

nate

Reply to
N8N

I didn't think too much of Alabama, until I moved here. It really is a rather beautiful state and the weather beats the hell out of anything in the Northeast! ...not to even rub your nose in your taxes. ;-)

Reply to
krw

"Jim Yanik" wrote

I don't. A few weeks ago I did though. The third time the alarm went off I went outside, as did my neighbor across the street. The guy that owned the truck never heard anything when we told him a few days later. He had electrical problems, now fixed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski