OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

Page 7 of 7
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:18:55 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

Sometimes. The harder it rains the faster I have to go to keep dry. Even 10 mph will do it for a light rain. I find that amazing. 30 for medium, 50 or 60 for heavy, but if the wind blows right or it's really heavy, I have to stop right away.
Once on I-80 I drove for an hour in light to medium rain, wihout stopping, until the rain ended. Everything stayed dry.
The week after I moved, I went back for something I couldn't find and ended up taking a bunch of scrap wood (which my remaining roommate who was still there would have had to remove) and the car was so full of long things, the top woudln't go up. I drove into a heavy storm before I knew it, couldn't turn around on the interstate, and had to keep moving at about 60 until I saw an overpass ahead.
The third year I had my brother's convertible, I got stopped for speeding on the Outer Drive in Chicago. Because I had an out-of-state license plate, I had to go the police station and post bail. Because in 1970, I didn't have 25 dollars in my wallet, I couldn't post bail and the cops wouldn't let me go back outside to put up the top.
My friend wasn't at work, but her friend was there and said she'd come at 5. I stayed in my cell from 2 to 5 and at 4:45 the sky darkened and one of the heaviest rains I've seen began. She was already there by then but the cops thought or pretended to think that a pretty girl was there to see another cop. When I got out, the rain had stopped, but there were 2 inches of water in the floor of the back seat, the cardboard glove box had wavy sides, and there was condensation behind the glass all over the instrument panel. I bailed out the back and everything dried out in a couple weeks. After that I stopped worrying about rain, except when I had leather seats, I wiped them off whenever they got wet.
ON my trip from Balitimore to Texas and back 3 years ago, the top motor was erratic (brushes worn out) and the first or second day of the trip, I got stuck in traffic on the interstate in West Va. and couldnt' get the top up. Covered the things in back with a moving pad and blanket, but I got pretty wet until the traffic started moving again. Didn't really rain the rest of the trip. Learned how to hit the top motor with a jack handle to make it work. Later I lengthened the brushes.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 03:55:39 -0400, mm wrote:

You are a guy, she is a gal. You speak different languages. You need to be explicit.

Other thought is that giving a ride to anyone makes you responsible for their safety. Top down, woman gets bug in eye, sues you.
One of my sons gets rear-ended. Cop notices passenger in his car is not wearing a seat belt and gives my son a ticket.
Today, I'm very leery on giving rides.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 06:31:42 -0700 (PDT), Frank

I do insist that hitchhikers wear their seatbelt.
I havent' had to with friends. They always seem to want to.
In this case, the law might not yet have required it, and I'm not positive a '73 Buick had rear-seat seatbelts. I can't remember.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 06:57:32 -0700, Smitty Two

For the record, I did not invite her. She asked if she could come and I said sure or maybe okay.
And while in print, she could have taken "I have a covertible" to mean I was trying to impress her, live in person, it was much less likely. I didn't say it with pride or enthusiasm or energy or any such intonation in my voice, but seriously, in a monotone, immediately after saying she could come. almost without a pause between "sure" and "I". It was part of the terms she was agreeing to, as I saw it.
I do regret that I wasn't more clear.
What we had was I think "no meeting of the minds." I agreed to one thing and she agreed to another, perhaps because she stopped paying attention afer I said "sure".

In some states, the occupant (or their parent in the car) gets the ticket.

[...]
This is a test. I posted a Reply to one of the posters on this thread. It didn't appear. I posted it again. It didn't appear. Just curious if there is a way for the target poster to "block" a Reply.
Info appreciated.
HB
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:16:17 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Google hasn't been working right since Friday, but this one is here now, and there are two in a row in answer to Hank. They showed up in the last couple hours.