OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

Heh,my first car,a 64 Triumph Herald I had built from two junkers,I finally got my license and plates,took the car out for it's first drive outside of my parent's backyard. I forgot to tighten down the lugnuts on one wheel,and the wheel came off right in a 6 inch deep puddle.Fortunately,at low speed,and the nuts were still in the hubcap. Important lesson learned.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yeah, come to think of it, that was the last time I went to Costco for tires.
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:42:03 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I almost had it happen. Driving across NJ, the car was making a noise. For some reason I decided it was a front wheel bearing, or something. When I got to Allentown Pa. I looked at the lug nuts were loose. The tire had been wobbling. I had ruined the threads on 2 or 3 studs.

<<Well, after I read that line I assumed the rest of the post was going to be about how she thought you were trying to impress her, which is at least as reasonable of an interpretation, especially for anyone who's never ridden in a convertible with the top down (if you've only seen it on TV or in the movies, you might think your hair wouldn't move). Not to mention that this is a singles event where she's had guys trying to impress her for the last 3 days...
You probably could have spared another 3 seconds to be more clear...>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Agreed. "I have a convertible - will that be a problem for you? I always ride with the top down, no matter if my passengers have allergies, skin cancer issues, etc." Those extra words would have conveyed the conditions of the ride. Just saying "I have a convertible" communicates little more that vanity. As if it would KILL someone to ride with the top up just once to be gallant. Sheesh. Chivalry IS dead. And so will many convertible owners be, long before their time from skin cancer.
No wonder the OP is going to singles events. Marriage, like politics, is a series of compromises. Nothing communicates "I'm not a good choice for a mate" more than the inability to "suffer" through something as horrible as a single top-up ride in a convertible. Sheesh. It literally says "my comfort is more important than your discomfort." Ask any woman how attactive that sounds.
As for melanoma, it's moving up fast as one of the top killer cancers in the country. As a convertible owner, the OP is far more likely to die of melanoma than a hardtop driver. As an intransigent convertible owner, that death is also more likely to occur without a significant other to care. Was she supposed to hold her hat (if she had one) on her head throughout the whole ride? Or shampoo in sunblock?
http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/melanoma-101/prevention-sun-safety
<<Approximately 65 percent of melanomas-the most deadly form of skin cancer and one of the fastest growing cancers in the United States-are attributed to ultraviolet (UV) exposure from sunlight or artificial sources such as tanning beds.
Melanoma is most common in men over the age of 50 (more common than colon, prostate, and lung cancer). It is also one of the most common cancers in people under the age of 30. Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults 25 to 29 years old and the second most common cancer in adolescents and young adults 15 to 29 years old. Every time you burn your skin, you increase your risk of developing melanoma and other skin cancers. This is especially true of sunburns at a young age. Just one blistering sunburn can double your chances of developing melanoma later in life.>>
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:53:17 -0400, "Robert Green"

And don't forget rain, another common killer. :)
On 6/26/2011 10:44 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

AND POP TARTS
and used motor oil
and eggs
and
and
and
and
It's amazing that mankind was able to make it 6000 years working in the sun.
--
Steve Barker
On 6/26/2011 2:10 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

1. More than 6000 years. Not sure what the current best estimate is, but lots higher than that.
2. Until 100 years or so ago, only a small percentage of population made it past 60. And of the ones that did, few were field workers. Sadly, due to sloth and bad dietary choices and lack of exercise, we are headed that direction again. We got a temporary spike from modern medicine and sanitation and large-scale farming making food cheap, but most people can't be bothered to even learn how to maintain their own bodies as well as they do their cars.
--
aem sends...

If it's any consolation, I don't take care of my car either.

<stuff snipped>

The secret to how man "worked the fields" for 6000 years in the sun is that they DIED by age 30. It's specious to claim melanoma is suddenly a problem after 6000 years of successfully working the fields in the sun. Such implications can't possibly figure into this argument in any reasonable way. "Mankind" might have survived 6000 years in the sun, the story for individuals wasn't so rosy. Skin and other cancers were actually one of the causes of death back at least 2400 years ago and probably much earlier:
http://medicineworld.org/cancer/history.html
<<The mummified skeletal remains of Peruvian Incas, dating back 2400 years ago, contained abnormalities suggestive of involvement with malignant melanoma.>>
So the supposedly miraculous secret out ancestors used to avoid dying from melanoma caused by working in the fields was by *dying* by before it could get them. Not a strategy I would recommend for modern humans.
Interestingly enough our OP pointed out that this horrible, convertible-hating woman was 30+ and thus had a very reasonable fear of skin cancer. She had probably also seen some of the elderly former "sun bunny" matrons in places like Florida who end up with spotty, leathery skin full of lesions and other nasties and didn't want to go down that path. My wife looks 20 years younger than her real age and that comes from being "sun smart" and wearing sun hats and sun block along with avoiding convertibles, a car that can be opened by anyone with a buck knife that offers poor protection in a roll-over accident.
As for how long people actually lived in the past 6000 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy
Neolithic 20 Bronze Age and Iron Age 26 Classical Greece 28 Classical Rome 28 Pre-Columbian North America 25-30 Medieval Islamic Caliphate 35+ Medieval Britain 30 At age 21, life expectancy of 59 for British aristocrats Early Modern Britain 25-40 Early 20th Century 50-65 Current world average 67.2

That's clearly born out by the aristos living nearly twice as long as the serfs out in the fields who were getting skin cancer from their working unprotected in the sun. Of course, some societies were smarter then others and used large straw hats to protect them from the sun. Chinese straw hats and Mexican sombreros come to mind as but two examples.

They maintain their cars well? Where? Who? (-:
In some history course or another I learned that civil engineers have saved far more lives than doctors could ever hope to.
-- Bobby G.

Yep. What do you think your chances of survival in a rollover accident in convertible are compared to a hardtop?
-- Bobby G.
On 6/26/2011 7:46 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Do they still have those pop-up rollbars on the fancy brands? If it has one of those, and you are securely belted in, probably not much worse than in a sedan, as long as you keep your arms inside.
--
aem sends..

Convertibles are slightly less likely to roll over than the hard top of the same design. Mine never have. :)
When the top is down and maybe when it's up, the non-existent or maybe lighter top lowers the center of gravity.
And the reinforcing of the frame, to make up for not having a top, lowers the center of gravity.
And Pontiacs had wide-track, which was about an inch wider other makes.
But the '72 to '76 GM convertibles with the scissors top was designed that way because GM thought NHTSA was going to regulate roof strength for convertibles. It never did, and the scissors top broke a lot and was an incredible pain to adjust -- I didn't know how -- and once it broke my rear window, and the next day rippped a hole in my own top. I was already looking for another car then.

Dunno. Never had much interest in owning easy-open cars. I rented a few when I had business in CA but the thrill wore off after the first serious golfer's sunburn. Plus, it can be kind of cold on the coast highway. I can understand the "I paid for a convertible, it's sunny and damnit I'm going to ride with the top down" feeling. I realized that I was the only one of many convertibles on the highway that day that DID have his top down. Hmmm. Still, the natives could wait for a warm day. That day was my only shot.
I wonder if Budget still rents Porsches, Jags and US convertibles? They were expensive but it's a great way to sightsee in the rich places without getting stopped by the local police. Melanomas be damned, I did have fun driving around Malibu and Pebble Beach in XJ6 convertible that someone ELSE had to maintain! As I recall that f'uc&ing convertible had this big steel plate attached to the windshield that smashed a 6' guy in the left temple HARD until you learned to swing around it. Ouch! IIRC, they wouldn't rent Jags or Porsches to locals - you had to be from out of town!
Had some good times out at the Naval Postgraduate in Monterey. Was personally haunted by the ghost of John Steinbeck at the Salinas River. Paid for a beachfront hotel room in San Diego and got to watch a seal carcass rot right outside my patio. (Can't touch 'em, California green kook law!) They comped me an extra day for the rotting seal. That's better than the $10 credit I got for bedbugs (no questions asked, BTW) at a Sheraton near the US Army War College at Ft Leavenworth. No Jags or Porsches for rent there - just building after building with a statue of a cow or bull on top. Great steakhouses, though.
As for rollovers, if I had a choice, I'd choose a hardtop, especially if I was rolling through the underbrush. Admittedly, I've only known one person that rolled their car so as Kurt says, we all seem to have a bad sense of real risks. I have known a number of people who have damaged their ragtops in a wider variety of ways so I'll fall back on that as a reason to stick with a metal roof.
-- Bobby G.
Jeez, dude. Is that the 100th time you've used that line? Get some new material. Even my dead grandma has heard dihydrogen monoxide line by now. Sheesh.
-- Bobby G.

Not true. In my house, I'm the Supreme Commander and what I say goes. See below:
Hi, This is Ed's wife. Yes, we obey him and our goal in life is to make him happy. Sincerely, Ed's wife.
See, I'd not lie about that. She just went back to reading her book now so don't bother asking her for details.
wrote

Good one. You made Afina giggle. Or maybe it was the way I read it to my sweetie.
--
Best regards
Han
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You could share decisions.
My ex-wife made all the minor decisions, like where we should live, what school the kids would attend, and whether I should ask for a raise.
I, on the other hand, made the major decisions: whether Red China should be admitted to the U.N., whether Nixon should resign, and if the U.S. should join the International Monetary Fund.

That's only fair. You wouldn't want her to make such a big mistake. Besides, it's for the children.
mm wrote:

Did you get some gas money from them?

Just wondering if you put it up when it rains.
Jimmie