OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

Page 5 of 7

Jeez, how the hell much "courtesy" do you want the guy to extend? He is already giving a presumably FREE ride to a complete stranger. Should he serve wine and cheese? Maybe he should give her an avocado facial, and take her shoe shopping?
In this case, she's little more than self-propelled luggage, with all the rights and privileges afforded to said luggage. Sit down, shut up, and be glad you're getting home without having to pay for a bus ticket.

Why in the hell did you go to a singles event then?
Jimmie

Tell me, Grasshoppah. What did you learn from this experience?

Well, after I read that line I assumed the rest of the post was going to be about how she thought you were trying to impress her, which is at least as reasonable of an interpretation, especially for anyone who's never ridden in a convertible with the top down (if you've only seen it on TV or in the movies, you might think your hair wouldn't move). Not to mention that this is a singles event where she's had guys trying to impress her for the last 3 days...
You probably could have spared another 3 seconds to be more clear...
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel

If you, and others, thought of that, I guess it might well be what she thought of. Convertibles are only about 15% more money than other new cars, iirc, and by the time I buy the car several years old, that's not a lot of money. So I've never thought of it as a way to impress anyone**, but my older brother, who had two of them for maybe 8 years total told me stories of girls who didn't like them, because of their hair and the wind, so that's what I was trying to call attention to, and that's what I thought she heard.
My first convertible was a loan, then a gift, from my brother when he was in the army in Viet Nam. It had ongoing mechanical problems which the dealer (soon to be out of business) coudln't fix, and so he bought another new convertible when he got back from Viet Nam, which worked fine. So I didnt' even pick out the first car and I liked it mostly because it was only 2 years old, compared to my previous car that was 15 y.o. It took me a whole year to really get hooked on having the top down. And this is all part of why I don't think of a convertible as a way to impress anyone. For me it's about the vista and the breeze and the relaxation. It still suprpises me but even if everything I'm looking at would be visible through the windows of a hardtop, it looks so much better with the top down.

I wish I had.
**I don't think of the car as a way to impress people, though whem the top is down, I've gotten unsolicited compliments, even once by a 65-year old man when I stopped at a yard sale and hadn't said a word about my car, and the car was 15 years old. With the top down, Chryslers and some others have a very sleek line that even hard top sports cars may not have. But the soft top is a pain in the neck.
Thanks and thanks to everyone who tried to help.

My first convertible was a '64 Karmann Ghia that I paid $15 for. Took another $150 to rebuild the engine. Lots of rust, dull paint, etc. One sunny day I was driving with the top down and my wife, who was wearing a rather summery outfit was next to me. I pulled up along side a big Mercedes driven by a guy about 60. He just looked and looked. I bet I could have swapped places with him and taken his car home.
On 6/26/2011 7:37 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, but you probably would have missed the wife. Doubt it was the KG he was looking at- they were quite common back then.
--
aem sends...

wrote

They may have been common but they certainly were different than almost any other car on the road at the time and very eye-catching. I learned to drive a stick in one. Came with miserable heaters, as almost all VW's did but they were sure a lot more stylish. Didn't survive T-boning a Chevy Impala that ran a stop sign at about 50mph. Front end crumbled like a wad of tin foil. A second or two difference and the outcome would have surely been fatal. Not a lot of metal to protect the occupants.
-- Bobby G.

Wish I had a miserable heater. The heat ducts were rusted out so nothing came to the passenger compartment. I used to carry an ice scraper in winter to use on the inside when the windshield froze up.
On 6/26/2011 10:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Chuckle. So did I, and probably most owners of air-cooled VWs north of the salt line.
--
aem sends...

My brother had one in Minneapolis. I remember visiting him over the new year holiday '73-'74. It was cold enough to freeze the battery but I fixed that (got rear-ended on I94).

That'll fix it. They were not built to survive accidents. I can still see the headlight popped out of its frame, rolling across the hood and up over the windshield and roof when we hit that Chevy.
My boss was driving his new Accord home from the showroom when he got hit from behind by a dumptruck. The whole rear end was gone and he was pushed into the car ahead of him but he had no injuries, amazingly. We called it the Honda Accordian. His insurance company balked at totalling the thing until he contacted the state's insurance commissioner. After that, they paid the whole thing off and then cancelled him! What companies are hated more than insurers?
-- Bobby G.

VW definitely improved both heaters and crashworthiness over the years. I was never afraid to drive anywhere in my watercooled VWs and took my Scirocco to northern VT over new years' Y2K.
I lost track of the number of times I was rear-ended in both the roccet and my GTI 16V... never any damage to *my* car (hee hee hee)
nate
wrote

Those weren't *real* ducts. I have veins that are bigger! Dad bought a kit from JC Whitney to boost the heat flow. Arf, arf. Didn't do squat. In the NY winters, it usually managed to start dribbling out a few warm molecules of air by the time you got where you were going. Used to sneak it out of the garage and drive it on Saturday mornings so I could learn to drive a stick. I laughed when I saw a commercial recently where a kid is backing the car out of the garage and there's a message written on the driveway that he sees in the rearview mirror that has the odometer's latest reading.
-- Bobby G.
On 6/26/2011 9:00 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Yeah, KG's were cute in a sort of retro-50s way, but they were even more fun than beetles on big road. I remember driving a KG between 2 semis on I-465 around Indianapolis once, and realizing that the steering wheel wasn't doing much of anything- the wash from the semis was almost lifting the nose off the ground. I backed off the throttle, and let them get well ahead of me, while I tried not to wet my pants.
--
aem sends...

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 07:37:52 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

A good price.

Where would your wife fit into this trade? :)

Many years ago circa 1980 my brother inlaw asked if I'd come with him to pick up a Ghia. We were driving down the highway when a tire passed us. It was our left rear tire and we luckily rode it out to a safe stop.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net /

My wife had that happen with our Eagle Vision TSi, except it was a front tire. She had just pulled off the Interstate and was driving on a side-road when it let loose. We had just had the tire mounted by Costco a few days before and the car passed inspection earlier that day. Lost the tire, lug nuts, and fender.

I had a tire replaced at Walmart. When the hippie finished, I asked if the car was good to go. He said "No, I've got to have my boss check the torque."
Presently a supervisor appeared with a torque wrench and tested all the lug nuts.
Presumably, Walmart has a policy of double-checking to prevent your nuts from falling off.

I had it happen with a "real" tire shop once, too. We got down to DC (from P'ok NY) and the car was acting really squirrely. A couple of the nuts had about one thread left before taking their walkabout.

Costco is *supposed* to do that.

I *hate* it when that happens. ;-)