OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

Page 4 of 7
On 6/25/2011 3:55 AM, mm wrote:

As words of someone trying to make points?

Which would be meaningless to someone who never rode in one and never experienced a ride in turbulent wind tunnel. I owned one convertible in my life and wouldn't buy another.

mm wrote:

"I'll put my top up if you take yours down"(?)

Maybe if you had put your top up, she would have let her top down.
-C-

== What this has to do with "home repair" has yet to be explained but I don't expect an acceptable answer.
My opinion of the situation is: The passenger didn't like the turbulence of the wind so unless you HAD to have the top down for some vain reason, then you should have put it up and have been considerate for once OR should have returned her to her originating point and continued on your way without her. Gawd, its not rocket science. Anyway, what difference does our opinion make? Apparently driving with the top up didn't kill you...grow up. ==

Give us a reason why someone HAS to have the top down besides........I own the car and I want it down. Same as "my car, my radio station" You can ride or hit the bricks.

A perfectly good reason.

One of the first things I learned as a young adult was ALWAYS take YOUR car. That way if the situation went into a ditch, you had wheels, and were king of the universe.
Steve
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 07:08:53 -0700, "Steve B"

Years ago, I went camping in the mountains of North Carolina with a friend, his girlfriend, and her 10-year old daughter. On the last morning, the mother was delirious and delusional and had a temperature of 102.5 and her daugher 103.5.
My friend said it would go away and he wanted to drive straight back to Baltimore, get his car and go back to Westchester, NY (a 9 or 10 hour drive) so he could get to work Monday on time. The hospital was an hour from the campground, but on the way home. He wanted to skip the hospital.
I insisted they go to the hospital, and I was glad it was MY car.
We were there an hour or two, and the doctor didn't really do anything, so my "friend" argued that he was right, all the way back to Baltimore. You'd think a lawyer would know better. And he was mad at me because since she was HIS girlfriend, he thought that meant he was in charge of decisions about her.
He'd done other obnoxious things on occasion over the years, but this was by far the worst and was the end of our friendship.

On 6/26/2011 7:00 PM, mm wrote:

But was it the end of his relationship with the lady and her kid? Hope so. Sick girlfriend and sick kid trump getting to work on time, IMHO. I would have insisted on the hospital stop as well, no matter who owned the car. What was he doing cutting a weekend trip so close on timing, any way? If you are gonna be more than a couple hours away, you should always build in a fudge factor.
--
aem sends...

I don't think so. At least not soon after. Details below***.

Sure, I would insist, but what could I do? Wrest the steering wheel out his hands?
I've thought about this since my first post tonight. There were police at the enntrance to the national forest (which had no facilities, until the orgnaizers got there a month in advance and built log and rope bridges over some streams and "kitchens", log shacks with 3 walls and canvas roofs.) and I did ask the police where the nearest doctor was. They would have called for the doctor, but he was an hour away, in the wrong direction, so I said we would go to the hospital which was an hour in the right direction. The cops had no objection to that, of course. Now if he were driving and he said he wouldnt' stop at the hospital, I might well have told the police how sick they were, and I suppose the police would have insisted we stay there and wait for the doctor. What other option would they have?
But my friend was always cagey and I think he would have said to me, before or even as I was talking to the police that he'd take us all to the hospital, and then when we got near the town, he'd point to the two of them and say they were doing pretty well and we didn't have to do that. If he had done that we might have been on a bypass road with no stoplights, no stop signs for another 20 miles, and no hospital there and no docors in their offices on Sunday. I'd have to before we pased that first hospital tell him I was going to testify against him at his trial for criminally negligent homicide, and the survivor or heir's lawsuit. But he was so sure they would get better, that might not have scared him, and waiting until someone is dead or has a lawsuit isn't my idea of a solution. Maybe I could have told him I'd complain to police and the bar association, and his employer, an insurance company, even if everyone recovered, if he didnt' go to the hospital.
BTW, I sort of belittled the girl before, but now I remember that she had health insurance for herself and her daughter, and he knew it. It didn't cost any money to any of us for him to stop.
BTW, they had shigellosis, and he had it too before we got to Baltimore, and I had it too by Tuesday. I was okay in a day or two, no fever afaik. I learned from the CDC that it's caused by bad sanitation, probably by bad latrine placement, and I think then drinking out of the streams, or not washing hands and making food. This group, Rainbow, had been camping on July 4 weekend, and the whole week before it for some people, and a couple months before it for the organizers, real diehards, for 15 years and I don't think anytone had ever gotten sick before, or at least not many. Those years they had about 10,000 campers, and I forget exactly but 3000 or maybe 6000 got sick. Pretty amazing, huh, even for 3000.
I must have signed in, and a few weeks later I got a survey form from the Centers for Disease Control, which I filled out and returned, asking where I camped, what kitchens I ate from -- they had free food, nothing fancy, no meat, pancakes maybe, popcorn, bread, potatoes maybe**. maybe my general health, which was fine. AS they promised, a few months later they sent me a copy of their report. They didn't iirc identify any very specific cause, any specific kitchen, at least not one that I ate at.
**There was also a 14-year old boy walking around in the middle of hte night offering free mushroom, with blue veins, psychodelic he said. I don't use any drugs at all, but there was a 10 year old girl who wanted some. The boy said, You're too young. She said, firmly, defiantly, I had my first pot when I was 6 and my first acid when I was 8. The boy said, I think you should wait until your brain is fully formed before you start to ruin it. I kid you not. I was just there for the camping!
Wikip: An estimated 18,000 cases of shigellosis occur annually in the United States. In most cases, the disease resolves within four to eight days without antibiotics. Severe infections may last three to six weeks.
The local folks and the national forest service used to try to stop this camping, back around 1980, but they would sneak in someplace and they left the place as good as they found it (they would stay after we all left and tear down the kitchens, remove all the trash and litter, but leave the bridges.) and eventually they cooperated. This year was the only big illness problem they've had afaik.
http://www.newsherald.com/articles/apalachicola-82336-national-forest.html

I guess we had already left late because they were sick. I think his plan was to be up and out by 8;30.
Instead he had me going to the medical tent -- the MASH tent he or they called it!!! -- where there were supposed to be doctors and medicinal tea. He emphasized the tea!! Well they need to drink liquid, but they also had no tea.
They were supposed to have volunteer doctors, but I think that meant only if a doctor wanted to go camping, and he told them he was a doctor. Maybe in the past that had worked, but when I went to the tent, there was no doctor. They did have an oral thermometer though, so that's why I know what their temperatures were.
THE ONE THING BOTH OF US DIDN'T THINK OF WAS getting towels, wetting them in the stream that was very close, and using that to wipe their faces, wet their hair iiuc, wipe their arms and legs. I ddidn't know anything about this at the time, but it seems that even though the fever comes from inside, because of germs, it can be treated on the outside with "wet compresses". Maybe if the movies didn't use the word compress, it would have occurred to me. He might have suggested putting them in the stream, but I have an image of them shattering, like hot glass in a cold stream. Surely the stream would be too cold for them???? If he suggested it, he dropped it quickly.
*** She was, I guess, what one might call a doormat. For one thing, he had a regular girlfriend that he lived with and she knew it, and she was his summer-home town girlfriend, because his regular girlfriend had gotten tired of going to the summer home. Too much work because it was never finished. He couldn't get a sewage permit, though he tried to bribe someone for it, or maybe it was that there was only 6 or 12 inches of soil and the rest was rock and he'd have to blast to put in a septic tank and finger system (He had to blast, that is, pay someone to blast, to put in his foundation) so though he had a chemical toilet, he kept asking everyone to go outside to do their business, even in the rain.
If I loved the town girlfriend, she would have been pretty, but as a mere girlfriend**, she was very overweight. **I say mere girlfriend because he was already living with another woman in Westchester county, not married to her but with a contract hetwteen them. They were supposed to modify the contract between them if they decided to have a child, but I think they couldn't agree on terms, and they had the child anyhow. That woman was more attractive and had a very good job that required a college degree and probably more than that, and I don't know why she settled for him. She has a unique name and I found her phone number online and have been meaning to call her. At the very least I'd like to know if they are still living together. I doubt it.
I was never jealous of all his girlfriends and sex, even when the girl was pretty, and I think it was because I believe that no matter how many he had, it was never enough, while for me one is enough.
But as to the woman on the trip, she lived in this small town and was probably happy to have him. Oh yeah, she reccovered some by the time we left at 10 or 11, no more delirioum ("Don't let them cut off my legs!") and he told me that she said they didnt' have to go to the doctor. He might have been lying, but I told him I don't take the advice of a woman who was delirious an hour or two ago. And she can't waive the rights of her daughter, or judge how sick the daughter is. They both lay in my back seat (a big car then) with their eyes closed saying nothing in the hour's drive to the hospital.
This guy is not very attractive either, at least I don't think a woman would think so. He was way overweight by this time. He got as much as he did by asking for it, and I guess going to the next person if the one he asked didn't do it. For example, he called me at the last minute to buy more Xmas tree lights on my way to his Christmas party. That's certainly fair, and I wasn't very late to the party, but most hosts woudn't do it.
A better example was a Sunday morning with a lot of snow. He called me at 9, which I thought was early for a Sunday, or maybe it was 8, to come over and start his car, to give his battery a jump. I lived in Brooklyn, he was in Brooklyn. at his girlfriend's apartment (a different year, a different girlfriend.) and once I was awake and in the car, it was no big deal to drive farther, but it was actually only 2 blocks from my apartment. So I knock on the door and he comes out, and walking to his car, I learn he hadn't even tried to start it!!!! What a jerk. I think he called me to show his girlfriend he had a friend who would come over to start his car. It started right up without my doing anything. What a jerk. I would have been really mad at him but the girl was pretty, unusually so for his girlfriends. I don't want Norminn to be mad at me for caring, but in college all 2 or 3 of his girlfriends were so fat and ugly. But this one wasn't, and I waited 3 weeks and called her. (This was before cell phones so I had her number in order to call him if I got delayed that morning) As I expected, they weren't going together anymore, and we went together for months.
Another thing he did was fix me up with a co-worker, maybe she was a lawyer and she was very pretty and nice, and after we had one date, he told me he was going to call her again. I said, What do you mean? You fixed me up with her. He said, she doesn't have to be exclusive. What a jerk.
Another thing he did was at another Christmas party at his apartment. I had a girlfriend and we were going to the party, and there is always room at the party for me to bring someone else. and my gf brought along a girlfriend of hers, a really beautiful girl, whom I had met when she was playing Liat in a road company of South Pacific. If you remember the movie, she was Bloody Mary's daughter, whom Bloody Mary wanted to marry the Lieutelant, on some south Pacific island during WWII. Well this girl was every bit as pretty as the actress in the movie who had the same part. And sexy without even trying, no matter what she was wearing. So we all got there, and my friend and the new "Liat" were dancing, and a few minutes later Liat left. She took a taxi or the subway. Later I found out that my "friend" was feeling her up while they were dancing. It didn't matter to him that she was a nice girl who he'd be lucky to have as a girlfriend. And it didn't matter to him that she was also a guest of mine and my gf, and it was embarrassing to me to have a crude friend, and maybe to my gf to have a bf with a crude friend. I guess this was his way on some occasions of sorting out who was easy and who wasn't.
Another thing I don't know all the details about was, before he had a Chevty Blazer (since the lot he bought had no road going to it), with all the parking problems that presents in nYC, he had a motorcycle. I never saw the motorcycle, maybe that was before I got to NY, but he would go to Woodstock NY and around there, 2 hours from Manhattan, and on the trip up or back with a girl on the back, he fell over, on a wet road iirc, maybe on a bridge with a steel roadway. He wasn't hurt much, the girl was, but I don't know how bad or if any of it was permanent.. When he told me this story, he didn't express any regret for hurting her. But this was pretty early in knowing him, and I figured that his silence there didn't mean he wasn't kicking himself. AFter North Carolina, I decided it did mean that.
He's about 64 y.o. now and when he bought property and built a house (of his own design with much of his own labor, and his friends') it had to be in Woodstock. Even though all the towns around there are alike, with antique stores and artists and artsy or rural yuppie restaurants, he had to be in Woodstock, because it was famous, even though that was 5 years earlier and the bands and audience had all left.
When we went camping in NC, he had to camp in Hippie Hollow, it was caled, even though he'd been to these things before other years, other US states, and there were no more hippies there than anywhere else. Although he was afraid to buy pot for fear of getting disbarred. (Myself, I don't use pot or anything. I also avoid aspirin and even more so Tylenol.)
That night, they got back to Westchester so late he didn't have time to take them home. It was 2 hours from Brooklyn but maybe an hour from Westchester, so that would have been two more hours of driving that had been planned that I forgot about. They couldn't stay at his house because his regular girlfriend lived there. I think he put them up in a motel and how they got home the next day I don't know. He probably knew bus routes, or maybe she knew routes to NYC, and found a motel near one.
Well, old memories can be fun, but this was too long. :)

We were in Virginia and coming home through Baltimore. My wife was not feeling well the past couple of day. They she said she wanted to see a doctor NOW! Ended up at Chesapeake Medical Center where she stayed for 6 days. Had we continued, maybe she would not be here.
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:46:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Good for her.

Six days is a long time. Good for her for speaking clearly and firmly.
wrote

My ex-boss *didn't* listen to his own "inner voice" telling him that something was wrong as he pushed himself to make a cross-country drive in record time. Cost him dearly as a blood clot formed in his leg from lack of motion, broke off and became a pulmonary embolism. Proof that people's need to "get there fast" can sometimes mean getting to a very bad place. When my dad had his first stroke I drove 12 hours from Asheville, NC to DC after being awake all day to arrive in rainy rush hour. Nearly killed myself in a spin-out I was so tired. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! Glad to hear you made the right choice. It's very easy and tempting not to, some times.
-- Bobby G.
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:51:35 -0400, "Robert Green"

Twelve hours from Asheville to DC? That's ~500miles or only 40MPH. We just drove from E. Alabama to N. Vermont (1300Mi) and back in a little over 22 hours each way (over two days - two weekends), including stops (but not counting a side trip down Skyline Drive).
wrote

6
of
need
my
in a

you
just
Seemed like 12 hours once I hit I-95 northbound rush hour traffic in the rain. The last 50 miles took longer than the rest of the trip. DC area rush hour traffic has been consistently recognized as some of the worst in the nation. Stop and start traffic after hours of "free running" is pure torture for the over-tired. It's like being rocked to sleep. Going 5 to 10 mph for the last leg of the trip will really screw up the average.
-- Bobby G.

Yup yup yup
similar trip I will go 50+ miles out of my way to avoid the DC area entirely. Seems like you barely get past Richmond before it starts to back up.
nate
On 6/25/2011 1:12 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Wouldn't BUY a convertible if he didn't want the top down. hELLO!!
--
Steve Barker

Kind of defeats the purpose of going to a singles mixer. You all really sound like DIYers to me.
On 6/25/2011 12:15 PM, Roy wrote:

he didn't say anything about putting it up and I wouldn't have either. If i had a convertible, it would be down or not driven.
--
Steve Barker