OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

Those weren't *real* ducts. I have veins that are bigger! Dad bought a kit from JC Whitney to boost the heat flow. Arf, arf. Didn't do squat. In the NY winters, it usually managed to start dribbling out a few warm molecules of air by the time you got where you were going. Used to sneak it out of the garage and drive it on Saturday mornings so I could learn to drive a stick. I laughed when I saw a commercial recently where a kid is backing the car out of the garage and there's a message written on the driveway that he sees in the rearview mirror that has the odometer's latest reading.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

That'll fix it. They were not built to survive accidents. I can still see the headlight popped out of its frame, rolling across the hood and up over the windshield and roof when we hit that Chevy.

My boss was driving his new Accord home from the showroom when he got hit from behind by a dumptruck. The whole rear end was gone and he was pushed into the car ahead of him but he had no injuries, amazingly. We called it the Honda Accordian. His insurance company balked at totalling the thing until he contacted the state's insurance commissioner. After that, they paid the whole thing off and then cancelled him! What companies are hated more than insurers?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Jim Yanik wrote the following:

Even worse is when the top is up. Not only can they steal your stuff, but you'll have to buy a new top. DAMHIK.

Reply to
willshak

Just wondering if you put it up when it rains.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Kind of defeats the purpose of going to a singles mixer. You all really sound like DIYers to me.

Reply to
JIMMIE

I always picked up my women at AA

Reply to
Metspitzer

Sometimes. The harder it rains the faster I have to go to keep dry. Even 10 mph will do it for a light rain. I find that amazing. 30 for medium, 50 or 60 for heavy, but if the wind blows right or it's really heavy, I have to stop right away.

Once on I-80 I drove for an hour in light to medium rain, wihout stopping, until the rain ended. Everything stayed dry.

The week after I moved, I went back for something I couldn't find and ended up taking a bunch of scrap wood (which my remaining roommate who was still there would have had to remove) and the car was so full of long things, the top woudln't go up. I drove into a heavy storm before I knew it, couldn't turn around on the interstate, and had to keep moving at about 60 until I saw an overpass ahead.

The third year I had my brother's convertible, I got stopped for speeding on the Outer Drive in Chicago. Because I had an out-of-state license plate, I had to go the police station and post bail. Because in 1970, I didn't have 25 dollars in my wallet, I couldn't post bail and the cops wouldn't let me go back outside to put up the top.

My friend wasn't at work, but her friend was there and said she'd come at 5. I stayed in my cell from 2 to 5 and at 4:45 the sky darkened and one of the heaviest rains I've seen began. She was already there by then but the cops thought or pretended to think that a pretty girl was there to see another cop. When I got out, the rain had stopped, but there were 2 inches of water in the floor of the back seat, the cardboard glove box had wavy sides, and there was condensation behind the glass all over the instrument panel. I bailed out the back and everything dried out in a couple weeks. After that I stopped worrying about rain, except when I had leather seats, I wiped them off whenever they got wet.

ON my trip from Balitimore to Texas and back 3 years ago, the top motor was erratic (brushes worn out) and the first or second day of the trip, I got stuck in traffic on the interstate in West Va. and couldnt' get the top up. Covered the things in back with a moving pad and blanket, but I got pretty wet until the traffic started moving again. Didn't really rain the rest of the trip. Learned how to hit the top motor with a jack handle to make it work. Later I lengthened the brushes.

Reply to
mm

Many years ago circa 1980 my brother inlaw asked if I'd come with him to pick up a Ghia. We were driving down the highway when a tire passed us. It was our left rear tire and we luckily rode it out to a safe stop.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Jeez, dude. Is that the 100th time you've used that line? Get some new material. Even my dead grandma has heard dihydrogen monoxide line by now. Sheesh.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

How is that different than breaking the glass?

Reply to
krw

Twelve hours from Asheville to DC? That's ~500miles or only 40MPH. We just drove from E. Alabama to N. Vermont (1300Mi) and back in a little over 22 hours each way (over two days - two weekends), including stops (but not counting a side trip down Skyline Drive).

Reply to
krw

My wife had that happen with our Eagle Vision TSi, except it was a front tire. She had just pulled off the Interstate and was driving on a side-road when it let loose. We had just had the tire mounted by Costco a few days before and the car passed inspection earlier that day. Lost the tire, lug nuts, and fender.

Reply to
krw

"...had never ridden"

in the backseat of a convertible before and

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"willshak" wrote >

I don't understand why people lock their cars. I found it better to leave it open and avoid damage. I keep nothing in it to steal, so look around if you want. I've had a couple of tourist visit during the nigh, never had any damage. The first time, I lost a quart of oil that was in the back seat.

If a thief wants you car, it will be gone.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Seemed like 12 hours once I hit I-95 northbound rush hour traffic in the rain. The last 50 miles took longer than the rest of the trip. DC area rush hour traffic has been consistently recognized as some of the worst in the nation. Stop and start traffic after hours of "free running" is pure torture for the over-tired. It's like being rocked to sleep. Going 5 to 10 mph for the last leg of the trip will really screw up the average.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Much less noise.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Do you lock your house?

Reply to
krw

wrote

Yes, and I had some damage when someone tried to break in. They were foiled though. Houses are easier secured than a car, but a pro can get past most any lock and alarm system. The house also contains valuable assets that I take some precautions to protect.

There are three unlocked cars sitting in the driveway. Nothing in them to steal aside from a pencil and maybe a stray ketchup packet from the drive through. Friend of mine has a nifty expensive alarm In her nice 6 month old car. She parked it outside of work, about 15 feet from the window in her office. Broad daylight, it just disappeared.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had a tire replaced at Walmart. When the hippie finished, I asked if the car was good to go. He said "No, I've got to have my boss check the torque."

Presently a supervisor appeared with a torque wrench and tested all the lug nuts.

Presumably, Walmart has a policy of double-checking to prevent your nuts from falling off.

Reply to
HeyBub

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you can cut open a soft top quietly. you probably would not even set off any alarm.

Reply to
Jim Yanik