OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

We were going to visit somewhere in between to go hot air ballooning, but I don't want to go to Alabama <grin>. So I'll disregard your remark for now.
(YMMV, and all kinds of LOL and so forth)
--
Best regards
Han

I didn't think too much of Alabama, until I moved here. It really is a rather beautiful state and the weather beats the hell out of anything in the Northeast! ...not to even rub your nose in your taxes. ;-)

Andy comments: If you didn't want to do it, then you could have just said " The mechanism is broken and it won't go up. Would you like for me to drop you off somewhere ?"
Lying is a good way to dismiss someone's request without saying anything overt to cause a disagreement. Politicians do it all the time...
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Maybe her hair was blowing in her face. Maybe she'd never been in a convertible before, and didn't realize the backwash you get when riding in one with the top down.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote the following:

Of the two convertibles I owned back in the late '50s ('56 and '57 Fords), I found that in order to prevent back seat passenger's hair from blowing in their face, you had to do 70 MPH so that the air stream off the windshield fell behind the rear seat. If no rear passengers, 50 MPH was enough to keep front seat driver and passenger's hair from blowing in their face.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes, it's really not that windy back there. It surprised me when I found out, riding in the back seat myself. The windshield shields all the seats from most of the wind. I thought it was like riding a horse, because without the steering wheel to hold on to all I had was the seat.
Another indication is the rain. At highway speeds the rear seats don't get wet. not even the backs of the rear seats. There is some breeze, and if a light-weight piece of paper gets caught in it, it will blow but not very fast, from the front seat to the back, then down and back towards the front seat again, and around in circles.
In the glove compartment, I kept a couple of the cloth covered rubber bands just so a woman could tie her hair up. I offered her one and she didn't want it. I don't think she complained about her hair. She also didn't say anything about not realizing the top would be down, either because she thought I should just do what she wanted, or because she did understand me in the first place when I said convertible.

"Gee, Officer, no - there's no fire. I was doing 70 as a courtesy to my passengers in the rear."
;)

back from a 3000mi vacation). ;-)

This is a basic lack of communication or different logic interpretation. "Sure. I drive a convertible." can be interpreted as "Let's do it in the back-seat" (or I'm trying to impress you). If you would have said, "I drive with the top-down and you may not find it pleasant in the back-seat" it may have been clearer.
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

LOL. Definitely wasn't trying to impress her, only to warn her. It never occurred to me until you said it that she might have thought that. I meant it as a synonym for top being down, but maybe she didnt' take it that way.

For sure. I regret that I didn't say that, but I'm trying to figure out how unclear I was.
I wish I had also said, "I'm glad to have your company, but if you don't want the top down, you also have two days to find a ride that's not a convertible." See again, it comes out with no specific reference to the top being down. I guess to be sure I would have had to say, "to find a ride with someone who won't put the top down."
I appreciate your answering the question. It's the only question I asked and the only one I gave full background for. There's a lot I left out that's needed to answer any other question.
And I'll add this for the other postsrs, that the reason I was willing to use my car on the trip instead of my male friend's, do all the driving, and pay for all the gas was that no matter what the rest of the trip is like, I know I'll enjoy the drive each way. My friend knew the top would be down, but I don't remember how I said it. Maybe he brought it up first, wanted me to take my car with the top down. Yes, I think he suggested it.
She had sunglasses, and I offered her one of those cloth-covered rubber bands uses for pony-tails, which I keep in the car specifcally for those with long hair. I also carry spare sunglasses. And I think convertibles are famous for being windy, and most people think they are more windy than they really are. She may have said something about the sun on her skin, but it was 4PM and getting later.

has to go topless too!

SWMBO wants a convertible. A little wind isn't going to save me any money. ;-)

I'd never own a convertible;they can be cut,they are noisy,and they rot. No security when the top is down. Plus I was always getting caught with the top down when it began to rain.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No security with the windows down either.

There is a reason they're called SWMBO. ;-)
Jim Yanik wrote the following:

Even worse is when the top is up. Not only can they steal your stuff, but you'll have to buy a new top. DAMHIK.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How is that different than breaking the glass?

Much less noise.
-- Bobby G.

you can cut open a soft top quietly. you probably would not even set off any alarm.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

IN brooklyn when I parked on the street and had an alarm I wasn't broken into for 7 years, but I was always late to work looking for a parking place.
So I rented a space in a lot, on a quiet street with bushes in front of my car.
One night the alarm went off and it beeped me in my bedroom. Even though the lot was right behind my building, there was no exit to it and I had to run halfway around the block. The guy had gone and everything was fine.
But two weeks later, he cut the top, cut the lower boot, and stole my tools from my trunk. He left the knife. I still have it and I use it.
So I decided to move out of NY, where I had planned to stay 2 years and and stayed 12. Also, I had recently met and was afraid of marrying a girl who wanted to stay in NY forever, since I grew up in a town of 50,000, with 4 acres of woods across the street.
No one's even tried to break into my car in 28 years. And I drive anywhere and everywhere, including what you'd think are the worst neighborhoods in town, and no one has even said an unkind word to me.
a) Cars are barely noticed, They're just part of the traffic, even when stopped at a light or sign.
b) I know how to get along with people, even though on Usenet it doesn't show. :-)

Do you think anyone would notice either way? Alarm? What alarm?

Some people DO notice. It helped me one time when thieves came to break into my car.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik