OT Yahoo breach

Page 3 of 5
On 9/28/2016 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

SERVERS/routers on the Internet of course.
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 5:57:12 PM UTC-4, AL wrote:

So my email leaves my email *server*, gets split up into numerous pieces, those pieces follow different paths through various *routers* and eventually get put back together at the destination *server*.
Excluding the source and destination *servers*, where is the potential for my email to be intercepted in that scenario?
On 9/28/2016 4:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A series of ROUTERS *and* SERVERS determine the Internet route:
"Internet data comes in the form of packets, which contain receiver, sender and security information if required. ROUTERS AND SERVERS handle the transmission of data by routing packets through the network toward their final destination. This means that between two endpoints (a Web page request made by a user and the server hosting the page, for example), a series of ROUTERS AND SERVERS determine the route the packets must take between the two computers."
http://techin.oureverydaylife.com/internet-made-up-servers-routers-5085.html

"your message, or at least little chunks of your message, travels through an indeterminate set of systems and network devices, each of which offers a point of interception. These systems may be owned or operated by corporations and non-profit organizations, by colleges, by governments and government agencies, or by telecom and other connectivity providers. Given such a widely divergent group, it is easy to see how either an unethical organization or a renegade employee may easily gain access to the messages and traffic crossing their systems. All of these factors combine to make the Internet itself the primary source of message interception points."
http://www.nairaland.com/170659/e-mail-intercepted-hack-check
2016 03:24:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

You've copy/pasted a description of the basic concept of how the internet works in what looks to be a desperate attempt to save face...

Umm, based on what you've copy pasted (how many hours have you been using a search engine to try to support your argument?) if someone did 'snoop', they MIGHT get a piece of an email, or a PIECE of the header that goes to the email. Since as you put it, the pieces take different 'routes' on their way. So if they're 'snooping' on their own network, they won't get the entire email. I'm just going by what you carefully pasted here. [g]
You should stop digging that hole now. It's deep enough.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 6:55:24 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Hold on a sec...you snipped something that *I* (DerbyDad03) posted in an attempt to point out to Al exactly what you point out below:
"if someone did 'snoop', they MIGHT get a piece of an email, or a PIECE of the header that goes to the email."
You'll see that immediately following that statement I queried of Al:
"Excluding the source and destination *servers*, where is the potential for my email to be intercepted in that scenario?"
I'm on your side. Al is confused as to how the internet works but doesn't seem to want to admit his ignorance.

After serious thinking DerbyDad03 wrote :

In my interpretation of Diesel's post, he included you in the 'clued-in' crowd. AL seems to be a computer tech without all that much network tech knowledge. Not that that is any kind of sin or anything. Diesel seems to have 'no love' for computer techs who haven't earned their chops, especially when they offer advice which they shouldn't.
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 11:40:34 AM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

I gotta disagree. He responded to AL's post and included what I said with no attribution to me. That paragraph appears to the most casual observer to be attributed to AL via "AL wrote..."
Diesel then immediately followed with:
"You've copy/pasted a description of the basic concept of how the internet works in what looks to be a desperate attempt to save face..."
Since I have no face to save, there would be no reason for him to say that about my words. Later in that post, he responds to AL's response to me, so I believe that he is talking to AL the entire time, but accidentally thought that AL had said what *I* actually said. Unfortunately, when that paragraph is included on a standalone basis, it loses all of the context that I meant it have when I said it to AL.
It happens...Diesel may not have realized that I jumped in the middle of his conversation with AL. It's no big deal, I just wanted to set the record straight before AL jumps all over him for the mis-quote.
DerbyDad03 explained :
[...]

Okay. I went back and forth with someone here attributing (not by attribution lines) things someone else had said to me. Finally I pointed out that it wasn't me who said those obviously wrong things. It happens a lot in Usenet discussions, so it is good to get it straightened out.
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:57:17 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

That's what happened, yes. My apologies. I was in a bit of a rush. Had to be someplace. I'm sure you know how that goes.

:) Thanks for being professional about my screwup. That's rare with the typical usenet groups I hang out in.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:13:55 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Sorry. I didn't realize I'd snipped anything from you. I did read your reply, but, I wasn't addressing you with my commentary. You seem to understand how the internet works well enough, based on the question you asked of him.

There seems to be some confusion by one of us. I wrote that early this morning. ;p Your reply was prior to that specific comment written by me. :) Mine is actually redundant.

Agreed.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
On 9/29/2016 3:55 AM, Diesel wrote:

Nope. That's from DerbyDad's post. Newsreader problems?
But it's basically true. Your email server does not connect directly to my email provider as you claim. There's the big bad Internet with all its forwarding devices in the middle.
2016 17:52:46 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Yes, it does. directly in the sense of what which is possible via the internet, anyhow. My email server reaches out to your email server directly, as I said. It doesn't pass the email off to servers in the middle and have them deliver it to you, as you seemed to think it did.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
2016 03:24:48 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

A DNS server does NOT process your email. if I want your email, I'm not going to play around with DNS servers, there's a damn good chance I won't tag one that you even use! So, I'd be wasting my time with that route. (get the pun?)
Did you skim the urls you posted? As, it seems pretty clear (to me atleast, possibly DerbyDad03 as well) you did...Had you actually read and understood the contents of your own urls, let alone the ones I've shared, you wouldn't still be posting your nonsense.

I've been disputing your nonsense since you replied to me, the first time.
I'm getting the impression you've had a chance to use a search engine and fact check my claims of who I am and what I've been involved in then? :-) You never know who you'll run across on the internet. <BFG>
Btw,
Thanks for demonstrating EXACTLY what I meant by the general public and their inability to understand the 'evidence' that could be presented at a trial for a hacker. It doesn't matter how many expert witnesses testify for either side, if YOU can't grasp the material being discussed. As I tried to explain to trader, You (general public) couldn't possibly be one of my peers as a result. My peers understand this stuff.
With that said, Allow me to also state for the record that I'm a retired Blackhat. I have been for nearly seventeen years now. As in, I no longer write nor release destructive code. I do however still participate in other aspects of the Hacking scene so I'm actually a Grayhat now.
Your hard disk might even have some of my or another co founders work present on it. That is, if you're into mp3s and divx/xvid dvdrips.
You may now use your favorite search engine to lookup those terms and skim them as you did the urls you shared here. It's not like you could do any worse than you already have.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
On 9/29/2016 3:55 AM, Diesel wrote:

Perhaps not you, but other hackers have used this method and hit big pay dirt.

More bravado with no rebuttal. I guess we're done.
2016 17:52:51 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Do you need to use a dictionary? Yes, we're done. You don't know WTF you're writing about. I hope you'll take that into consideration next time you get the bright idea of trying to school me. It'll be a cold snowy day in hell.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.

I did not mention it, but I DO use POP service with Gmail. But I use Thunderbird, not Agent for it. Doing email on the web is too slow on dialup, but pop email with Tbird is pretty fast and easy unless someone sends me a very large photo, and my friends know not to send large ones.
On 9/25/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Think about it, Ed. time has nothing to do with it really. There was a breach and the password you may have thought to be secure has been leaked.
If your current password is "jTR653ew$*LvfddseZ+" that is a pretty secure password. However, if there is a data breach on Thursday and that password and your email account/Yahoo account user name is leaked, it's worthless. If you change it to "jghfgfd$#cds@--:<Y" the day after the breach (before some hacking AH changes your old one and locks you out) you are now secure again. (until the next breach)
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote
| If your current password is "jTR653ew$*LvfddseZ+" that is a pretty | secure password.
I read an interesting article awhile back saying that one of the best ways to make a password is to just join 4 words. Cracking algorythms necessarily look for patterns. Four words is very memorable to humans, but not a pattern mathematically. For instance: breadtarmacskatesblot
More memorable, yet still seemingly random, things could be invented that mean something only to the inventor. For instance: ruthdoilyxmasbarnard
For your aunt Ruth who like doilies and invites the family every Christmas to her house in Barnard. It's memorable to you but for a computer it's just 20 random characters.
On 9/25/2016 12:25 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Run those through any password strength meter of your choice and you'll find that they are woefully inadequate
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote
| Run those through any password strength meter of your choice and you'll | find that they are woefully inadequate |
No link. No explanation. Did you have a reason to say that other than impluse or personal instinct? Here's the source:
http://www.baekdal.com/insights/password-security-usability http://www.baekdal.com/insights/the-usability-of-passwords-faq
You can *seem* to make more obscure passwords by adding *, !, etc. And you could add those to the 4 words. The author of the articles linked also uses spaces between words. You could also capitalize some characters. But as long as the password cracker assumes those characters are possibilities it will test for them, so they're no more unique than "a". Menawhile, you have a 20-character password that you can remember.