OT Yahoo breach

Page 1 of 5
It says you should change your password if you have not done so since 2014. How can I tell when my password was last changed? I don't keep a record of that.
On 9/25/2016 10:34 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

How difficult is it change passwords? I routinely change mine every six months or so. Just change it and move on.
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:14:00 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

The problem might be, if you do not know your password (it is stored on the PC) you can't change it.

If that's his problem, perhaps he shouldn't be on the computer. Under your theory, he has his password stored and doesn't "remember" it.
That's fine. It will still allow him to log on and once logged in, Yahoo does NOT require the entry of one's password a second time in order to change passwords. You merely enter your new password, confirm it and you're done until the next time.
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 12:51:44 -0400, burfordTjustice

In my case I don't even have my Yahoo password anywhere. I only use it for one Yahoo group and I just answer the Emailed post. I never actually log in. I have tried recovering the PW but none of my answers match what I wrote 17 years ago when I set up the account.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Is it stored in an encrypted password manager program or the web browser for auto login purposes? If the latter, nirsoft utils are your friend. If the former, you'd have to login to your password manager to recover the current password so you can change it to something else...
Oh, one more thing, stop having your web browser store login/passwords for you, if that's something you do.
As you'll learn by using the utils I mentioned, it's obviously, NOT secure. Anyone who has access to your computer with a brain (read: knows how to pull up the passwords using Nirsoft or a variety of other tools) can recover them, with ease.

Why? If it has been working, what makes it more vulnerable with time? What makes a new password more secure than an old one? Maybe the new one is easier to crack.
Given the number of web sites I use it would be an all day job to change them all.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote
| > How difficult is it change passwords? I routinely change mine every six | > months or so. Just change it and move on. | | | Why? If it has been working, what makes it more vulnerable with time?
Did you read about the news? It's a dramatically clear answer to your question. Yahoo was hacked a couple of years ago. Chinese hackers might be scanning your email now, waiting for something like a credit card number or bank account info, or enough personal info to spoof your identity. The passwords might have been sold.
The data was stolen by breaking into Yahoo and stealing their member/password list, not by hacking passwords. If you changed your password periodically you would have been protected for most of the last two years.
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 13:10:52 -0400, "Mayayana"

If they look at my Yahoo account, they are just going to see the spam in accumulated over the last 17 years because I never used it I would appreciate them sending me the password tho ;-)
On 25/09/2016 18:26, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

account, then reinstal with a new email name, then send 1 bulk email to your contacts telling them the new account name.
On 9/25/2016 1:31 PM, Bod wrote:

That would work for your contacts. What about the other 50 accounts you have for banks, credit cards, auto service, utilities, insurance, and on and on?
On 25/09/2016 19:29, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Assuming that you know the passwords for them all, surely it is worth that effort for your own security and peace of mind?
On 25/09/2016 19:31, Bod wrote:

them down and keep in a safe place.

Changing email address is like moving house, it's virtually impossible. You always forget a lot of important things.
--
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Hmmmmm, I dont use email for ANY of the things you mentioned. Then again I dont do online banking, or use my *REAL* credit cards online. (I get those disposible pre-paid cards for online shopping). For the cost of a few postage stamps, I'd rather send a check to pay my bills, rather than risk online identity theft. And I can also use my phone to pay some bills, for example, I can use a thing where I phone one of my utilities and they will accept payment from my checking account without an actual paper check, and no credit card required.
I only use email to chit-chat with friends and relatives, and occasionally contact a business to ask a question about their products. So if someone wants to hack into my email, I hope they enjoy reading about my latest home or car repairs, my findings at rummage sales, my pets, and my bitching about the weather.

You worry too much.

If you use real email instead of an online version, you don't get hacked.
--
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird, people take prozac to make it normal.

worry.

Yea, good advice 'IF' "real email" exists. Where I live, on a farm, there is only one local option for internet service. That's dialup. It involves having a landline phone, and the internet is included with the phone bill, whether I use it or not. It's no longer a separate cost for the internet. However, this dialup service only allows one to connect to the net. There is no email account, and no help provided if a person cant connect. Since I REQUIRE a landline phone (my cellphone does not work at my home - NO or very poor SIGNAL).
To get high speed internet, I would have to get a service like DISH. Their cost would be a minimum of $120 per month. NO THANKS! I dont want the TV part of it, but it's a package.
So, there is no "real email" available. I'm stuck with yahoo, gmail, or other free email. Yea, I'm sure I could pay for some sort of email provider, but why bother. Like I said, if hackers want to read my email, let em. They'll get bored and leave quickly.
It costs me about $3 a month for postage stamps and the cost of blank checks, to pay my bills. So, why would I want to pay a lot more than that, to buy a more secure email provider..... Not to mention that paying online (on dialup), takes 5 times as long as it does to fill out a check and stuff it in my mailbox.

Idiot. You're cautious because you worry. I just don't worry.

Email is nothing to do with your internet connection speed, it's how you set it up. I download my emails properly to my own computer.
--
Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

On 9/26/2016 9:02 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

What is "real" email?? Any email web or otherwise can be hacked.

Gmail offers POP service. And POP would work just fine with that old version of the Agent newsreader you're using.
BTW Gmail also offers IMAP service and that's what I use with my Android phone's email app (K-9).

POP3, stored on your own computer, so you can make sure nobody gets in.

--
G.A.Y. - Got Aids Yet?