OT, WWII History

You may have heard of barn finds where collectable cars are found in barns and the vehicles are covered in dust or worse. Someone in England sold a WW II German encryption machine that had been on the floor of a backyard shed since the end of the war. I have to wonder how the darn thing got there. o_ O
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/29/hitlers-top-secret-coded-messagi ng-machine-snapped-up-for-950-af/
http://tinyurl.com/jtsbycv
[8~{} Uncle Cryptic Monster
On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 5:59:13 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:

s and the vehicles are covered in dust or worse. Someone in England sold a WWII German encryption machine that had been on the floor of a backyard she d since the end of the war. I have to wonder how the darn thing got there. o_O

ging-machine-snapped-up-for-950-af/

Even more amazing was that some big dummy sold it for $9 pounds on Ebay? Wow.
On 30/05/2016 16:59, trader_4 wrote:

£10 to be pedantic.
--
Bod

Don't be ridiculous. The sale price is not mentioned. And it was bought by a museum, so whatever the purchase price might be, it may reflect a donation to the museum.
The article is misleading in that is makes it sound like once you 'cracked the code" you just read off all future messages. it was a lot more complex than that, with new bits of information and new cracking needed as the senders changed their settings.
Is the author of that article really named Bodkin? That boggles!
On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 12:20:01 PM UTC-4, Reggie wrote:

nd

essaging-machine-snapped-up-for-950-af/

y?

Can't read?
"Hitler's top secret coded messaging machine snapped up for £9.50 afte r being found on shed floor "
They also say it was advertised on Ebay.

ion

IDK how it works in the UK, but here you'd have to be an idiot to donate something to a museum for $10. It's tax deductible. And regardless, if it's donated, they wouldn't be talking about it being "snapped" up for $10 after being advertised for that price on Ebay. So, IDK, if it wasn't really bought for that, I suggest you take it up with your UK journalists, they wrote the story, not me.

Can't read?
"Hitler's top secret coded messaging machine snapped up for ?9.50 after being found on shed floor "
They also say it was advertised on Ebay.
do you think advertised for 9.50 likely means it was sold for that price? This is sloppyt reporting, and you take as gospel.

IDK how it works in the UK, but here you'd have to be an idiot to donate something to a museum for $10. It's tax deductible.
You can deduct the difference. Of course, you may have basis issues to be concerned with too..
And regardless, if it's donated, they wouldn't be talking about it being "snapped" up for $10 after being advertised for that price on Ebay. So, IDK, if it wasn't really bought for that, I suggest you take it up with your UK journalists, they wrote the story, not me.
Yes, but you fell for it.

This is directly related to all my complaints about people who post to Usenet and put important information only in the subject line and not in the body. Terrible practice, but especially if the headlines are written by someone else, as is often/usually/always? the case.

If it was an auction, it could have been higher.

There is lots of sloppy reporting, no doubt about that.

Unless it was true.

"The teleprinter was purchased by the museum in secret three years ago and they have been painstakingly refurbishing it since."
a secret purchase of an e-bay auction item that sold for 9..50? This article is a mess.

Aw, c'mon. It doesn't mean the seller and the buyer didn't know, only that when they got it they didn't put it in their newsletter and maybe only a half-dozen people or fewer knew.

It could mean anything. The article is a mess.

This would be a lot more interesting if it was an Enigma machine.
Cut rest.

Ebay UK does have a German Morse Code machine. 307 British pounds or 450 U.S. dollars. It's supposed to be from about 1954 to 1960 timewise.
<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-German-DRP-Quante-Morse-Code-Key-Machine-Set-/331742145173?hash=item4d3d5f6a95:g:~awAAOSwHPlWgVA-