OT Wrong advertised specifications

Page 5 of 6

It undoubtedly comes with Vista Home. Minimum for that is 2 GB RAM. Vista alone uses up almost 900MB of system RAM without running any apps.
Paul
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

What??? Minimum for Vista Home Basic is 512mb. Now, maybe the minimum to run more than one or two apps at a time is more but surely not 2gb for Home Basic.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx
Bill

It will "run" at that size but it won't be useable.

Just try running it with 512 and it will go virtual and drive your performance down to a crawl. A brand new Vista Home system with no apps running typically will demand 860MB of RAM If you only have 512 it will constantly swap to disk and that destroys performance. 2 GB is the practical configuration. Microsoft claimed XP was fine in 128 but you could never do anything with it with that little RAM. An extra gig for that computer is like 50 bucks. Money very well spent.
You'll have to forgive me. I have only been in this business for 24 years and I make a living as a IT consultant.
Paul

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer, but thanks for playing.
1G - 256K = 1048320K = 1023.75M
--
Regards,

A great many video cards borrow from main RAM. It is quite possible the system has 1 GB and the video adapter is using 256 MB of it. I doubt a Wal-Mart would even know this. Where is the system reporting the memory? Is it in the BIOS or in Windows? Look in the BIOS for the memory configuration. Most BIOSs will let you modify the RAM allotted to the video card. If you don't need it, lower the number to 128 or 64MB.
Acer is no better or worse than anything Dell or Gateway puts out at the price. Acer laptops are a pretty good value, a lot of features for a low price. Do buy the extended warranty, however. it is cheap but very good protection.
Paul
How 'bout a big mac on the way out?

Terry wrote:

Maybe it has 1GB of main memory but the video card maybe sharing the memory taking away 256MB. Look at the spec. of video chip. Cheap PCs are built that way instead of having video memory separate.

Run full Vista, it takes 1GB ram.

Poor thing.

An apology and the offer of the correct processor with the stated memory for the same price she paid for the first one. Do you think she's entitled to more than that?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasure: http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Surprise! She already got it and didn't realize it.
Bill

Your friend should expect nothing. Wal-Mart didn't get to be the world's largest retailer by giving away things to its customers. Your friend should get what was advertised, but if she expects more than that, she's likely going to be disappointed.
You get what you pay for. Next time, your friend should visit a local mom & pop store to buy a PC and have it built to her specifications or make life really easy on herself and buy an Apple computer. Either way, she would get a lot more compute for her money and better tech support.
Shawn Hirn wrote:

She paid (probably) $498.
You can't even get an Apple iPhone for $498.

Good luck with that idea. No merchant has ever reimbursed me in any way for time/gas/trouble, when I've purchased a defective product. If they're interested in customer relations, they will apologize for the trouble, and that's about as good as it gets around here, when you shop at a chain store.
Shop locally, and your experience will be a lot better.
N.
Nancy2 wrote:

Some people can't shop locally. Poor people.
There are no WalMarts in New York, D.C., Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Detroit, Boston, and a few other union-dominated places. There are two WalMarts in Philadelphia, three in Atlanta and Miami, one in Los Angeles, and one in St Louis.
That's why there's www.walmart.com.
I'm in Houston - we have 17 WalMarts. (Nine in Dallas, seven in Austin, and fourteen in San Antonio - there's even one in Pflugerville, Texas)
on 9/5/2007 5:08 PM HeyBub said the following:

There is no room for a store the size of Wal-Mart in NYC (just in case you hadn't noticed, there is more to NY than NYC), and it would be too expensive to tear down existing buildings to build one in NYC. There are tons of Wal-Marts in NYS.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Right. There's one in Albany. None in Brooklyn, Bronx, Buffalo, and One in Niagra Falls. One each in Cheektowaga, Hamburg, Amherst, Clarence, Lockport, Batavia, and Fredonia. Among others.
New York is lip-deep in Walmarts.
HeyBub wrote:

I found a page listing state ranking.
New York has 37 WalMart SuperCenters, slightly behind Kansas and Iowa, each with 39. But way ahead of New Mexico (28). Texas has 259.
But Texas has more people who need bargains than does New York.
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif_wal_sto_num_of_sup-lifestyle-walmart-stores-number-supercenters
on 9/5/2007 9:26 PM HeyBub said the following:

Those are just the SuperCenters, which also sell food and have garden and vision centers, lube and tire service, and photo studios. Regular WalMarts have none of the extras.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif_wal_sto_num_of_sup-lifestyle-walmart-stores-number-supercenters

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
HeyBub wrote:

There are plenty of Walmart's lots closer to NYC than Albany and the other cities you mentioned. There are several on Long Island and a couple in Westchester.
Also, there are Home Depot's and Costco's in NYC (including Manhattan), so the excuse of not having enough room to build one is bogus. They may not be willing to pay the price for the real estate but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Bill
says...

Another reason to stay away from texas.
I refuse to shop at walmart or sams club for moral reasons. Their well documented mistreatment of employees, discrimination against women, union busting, and disrespect for the environment drive me away. They also have been the prime mover in exporting hundreds of thousands of US jobs to China and other countries where workers are mistreated and poorly paid. Their spying on employees is another problem. Yet another is the fact that state and local governments have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars annually to provide health benefits to walmart employees. The waltons rake in their billions while the taxpayers foot the bill for the employees' health insurance - wonderful.
I have too much self respect to shop at these places just to save a few bucks.
--
Peter Aitken