OT Wrong advertised specifications

Oh, the old "argument from authority" fallacy. Too bad that formal logic wasn't part of *your* computer science curriculum; it was in *mine*.

So say you. You've provided nothing to back that up, though.

Lack of accurate response noted.

Lack of response noted.

Give it up, Paul. You've lost the argument.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You might want to rethink that notion...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, and if the processor clock rate is high enough, and the cable long enough, the processor can wind up having to wait for a signal to arrive -- which *does* limit throughput.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Those are just the SuperCenters, which also sell food and have garden and vision centers, lube and tire service, and photo studios. Regular WalMarts have none of the extras.

willshak

It is a law in the US that every product have its country of manufacturing on the label, box, or other visible place. Go into any store in the US and pick up a piece of clothing, shoes, hardware, computer product, or just about anything else. See where it's made. Even better, read the label on something you already bought and is in your house. It's not just WalMart that sells outsourced products.

Reply to
willshak

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

hmmm, OK. But the consumer sees 300GB and gets 286GB, less is less whatever the reason.

Same thing = putting forth 'good' numbers that are not really a true indication of what you are getting.

Because people stopped buying them. Those old Celeron had some very impressive MHz ratings, but ran like molasses. Same thing. :)

Hence the point, consumers learned just enough about the 'number' game and advertisers took advantage of that limited knowledge to sell what looked like impressive machines cheaply.

Old saying still applies: You get what you pay for (no matter how pretty the package.)

YMMV

Reply to
kpg*

So why do you talk about "restricted PCI bus speed" ? BTW: many of us are still using AGP, which is not dead, FYI.

Nope, and naver has: As a GPU is extremely memory intensive, an integrated solution finds itself competing for the already slow system RAM with the CPU as it has no dedicated video memory. System RAM may be 2 GB/s to 12.8 GB/s, yet dedicated GPUs enjoy between 10 GB/s and 160 GB/s of bandwidth depending on the model. (from

, search "bandwidth" and you're right on the spot)

Shorter means "with less hops". If data has to flow between onboard video RAM and GPU there's way less hops than from GPU to system memory via the PCIe or AGP bus. Moreover the GPU is synchronized with onboard video RAM, while it is not sync'ed to the system RAM, so many clock cycles will be wasted waiting for synchronization of *every* data trasnission in both ways.

Reply to
Vilco

Yeah, ok whatever. Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

I'll just leave this conversation to you computer engineers.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

LOL, guess why? They can't afford to shop anywhere decent.

Define "best." In terms of China, "best" means simply "cheapest." Along with the low price you get poison petfood, lead-tainted toys, terrible environmental damage, workers in near-slavery situations, etc. To me, that's far from "best."

Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate protectionism just for the sake of keeping jobs here. When imports are available that are high quality and produced in a morally and environmentally responsible fashion, I am all for it.

A test to see if the system can save them money in the long run.

Good for Target. I dislike any group that makes pushing their religion on people part of their charity work. In any case, this was all explained in the press. Target had nothing against the SA per se, but felt that in fairness they would have to allow all charitable groups to collect at their stores if they allowed any.

WalMart's support of a blatantly Christian charity is touching. I wonder how they would support a Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, or atheist group collecting money at their stores?

If only walMart would let all of its employees do so! Instead it's forced unpaid overtime, forced off-the-clock work, and gender discrimination.

How does WalMart treat its employees? When meatpackers at a Texas store voted to unionize, WalMart closed all of its meatpacking operations, putting god knows how many employees out of work. When employees at a store in Canada voted to unionize, WalMart closed the store putting everyone out of work.

Thanks for the interesting discussion - I've said all I have to say.

Reply to
Peter A

[Continued lack of response noted -- without surprise, this time]
Reply to
Doug Miller

The units of measurement are often dependent on the object being measured. Consider "K"(ilo) vs "M"(illi). Someone used to ordering paper (measured in "M"s) who specifies he wants a machine with "512M" of memory will not get what he's expecting.

It is the responsibility of the buyer to conform to the industry's standard.

Reply to
HeyBub

The OP said "WalMart." WalMart is not a locally-owned store. It's a WalMart-owned store. My comment could have been worded more accurately (locally-owned, for example), but most of the readers knew what I meant.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

Never mind luvvie. You come and 'aveanarsecuppatea:)

Reply to
Ophelia

Do you want to go back to 1950? Think dentistry.

If China or Bangladesh can make something better or cheaper, we should encourage them to do so. We both benefit.

That's one way - the wrong way - to look at it. Our economy is far better off with cheaper products than without.

We can have more stuff.

Consider the "poor" in the US (according to the US Census):

43% own their own homes* 80% live in air conditioned homes* 66% of these homes average 2 rooms per person 75% of poor households own a car* 97% own a color TV, 51% own 2 or more color TVs* 62% have cable or satellite TV 89% own a microwave oven*

(The items marked "*" have a significant foreign component.)

As for WW2, today's "poor" are, on average, one inch taller and ten pounds heavier than the GIs on the beach at Normandy.

Your complaint is with the buying public, not Walmart or China. The buying public has simply voted with their dollars and democracy rules.

The only way to reverse the trend is with government intervention: tariffs or outright prohibition of imported goods. Will the public accept the absence of DVD players or TV sets? Can you get along without nails, screws, or even thumb-tacks?

Well, maybe thumb-tacks.

Reply to
HeyBub

I used to hear "M" for mega- and "m" for milli-.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

unformatted,

No you're wrong again. Disks are indeed just blank platters until formatted which is why when you buy a hard drive it does not say "for PCs only." You can take any SCSI drive for example and use it in a PC, MAC, Unix, VMS, IBM, Cray, Unisys or whatever - all sharing the same interface, all incompatible file systems and drive formats and logical architecture. Depending on the OS and the file system, there is loss due to allocation table overhead and also due to the fact that under NTFS and most others such as FAT and FAT32 there are the same number of sectors per track. Very few OSs actually use variable sector mapping. Oddly enough the old Commodore 64 was one. You fit the same number of sectors on a center track as an edge track therefore you lose more space at the outside of the disk. Picture a pie cut in wedges. Originally, disk drives were actually drums for this very reason - far easier to work with and the only way they could get any respectable capacity - and where we get terms like cylinder from. The next factor is the cluster size itself. Smaller clusters require more management but are less wasteful. Larger clusters waste more space but are better for ECC and performance.

For the sake of this discussion, NTFS has about a 10% file overhead. A 160 GB drive will format out to about 145-148 GB. The rest is just wasted space and table space. This is a general rule of thumb as NTFS chooses the cluster size based on the partition size. You can however, change that. You can run NTFS with different cluster sizes but it introduces other issues. As disk formats go, NTFS is one of the more wasteful. But it really does not matter since the cost per gig is so incredibly low.

Class dismissed.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Blame the legislators for that one. If they want to save taxpayers money, legislators are free to cut off this supposed public health subsidy.

Reply to
SpammersDie

"Best" means the same or equivalent product for the same or less money.

But what about the people (here) who WANT lower quality (at a lower price) or who WANT children in Sri Lanka to work for twenty-five cents a day (as opposed to starving). Rephrase: What about the people HERE who want the standard of living of ALL countries to improve? Would you deprive them of the opportunity.

It's difficult to believe that my buying a tennis shoe made by six-year olds in Bangladesh who work twelve hours a day, six days a week, is improving their lot -- but it is.

Saving money is good.

Uh, the SA is a non-prosletysing organization. As for "fairness," phooey. Target doesn't have to be "fair." Or even courteous.

In my view, there are thing a business should not do, simply because it offends their potential customers: Burning flags, banishing children, supporting terrorism, not allowing employees to say "Merry Christmas," and evicting the Salvation Army. Mind you, I'm not a Christian, but I do respect and support national traditions.

Good point. Bottom line: Their store, their rules.

Good. Texas is a right-to-scab state. Most here don't like unions. Maybe that's why we have 300-odd Walmarts?

My ex-boss once proposed to his boss that their company hire a driver to distribute the paychecks to the various companies for whom they prepared payroll instead of being at the mercy of delivery services. Boss said maybe.

Couple of days later, the boss said a representative of the corporation's president was flying in to discuss the matter.

The representative met with my guy and told him the answer was "No," but that he deserved an explanation and that the explanation could not be written down.

The corporation, the representative explained, had over 250,000 employees and not a one was in a union. A "driver" would be eligible for membership in the Teamsters and, if there ever was a disagreement, that one employee could effectively close the entire corporation.

The company for whom my friend worked was SBC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of IBM.

The result was that SBC continued to be at the mercy of drunken or missing delivery service drivers (who may or may not have been in the Teamsters).

Yeah, I remember that one. A secret ballot went against the union, so the union went to plan B: certification cards and the union got a majority with the card certification method. Walmart closed the store; 160 people out of work. See, it isn't the difference between $8/hr and $9/hr; it's the difference between $8/hr and nothing (likewise in Bangladesh: $3/wk or nothing).

Evidently Walmart doesn't like unions either. Their store, their rules.

Reply to
HeyBub

China refuses to float its currency so its products can remain cheaper. This is called dumping. Dumping is the practice of underpricing your competition less than what it costs to make a product for the sole purpose of driving them out of business. After you become the sole provider you can jack prices up again to recoup your earlier losses.

China used this economic tool to close down the American manufacturing base, thus weakening us. Had China floated their currency like every other country their products wouldn't be so cheap and the trade imbalance between US and them wouldn't be so great. Currencies float to even out trade imbalances. Every month China increases its stake in the US economy. Their long term goal is to hold us hostage. So far Congress fears what China can do now if they ever choose to dump their US debt or US dollars onto the market. The only reason they don't because they are still building up their empire.

One day they'll buy a high tech military and weapon systems with your money that rival or exceed ours. Meanwhile, they'll still be able to manufacture goods and we won't. At any time they can send earthquakes through our economy destroying more of America than any carrier fleet loaded with cruise missiles ever could.

Your ignorance of economics is astounding. It's not "democracy," it's the economics stupid. People don't "vote" with their dollars, they buy the cheapest goods. In economics 101 they teach you the concept of a supply/demand curve. The lower the price, the higher the volume that goes to them.

If China won't float their currency we should have implemented tariffs a long time ago. It's too late now though. A trade war with China may cause them to use some of their legal economic weapons against us -- like dumping the US dollar. We can only hope China will be a benevolent master in the year 2025 or so when their economy exceeds ours.

But you must thank WalMart for this. They pioneered the concept of building their entire business model around selling out America by providing us goods for far less than they should be possible. WalMart made huge short term profits at the expense of the US economy and US security. Remember one old saying that's still true, "There's no free lunch." Through conduits like WalMart we've been enjoying a free lunch through ultra cheap prices. The tab for that bill will come in another decade or two.

Meanwhile, enjoy your cheap DVD and TV.

Reply to
Mark Anderson