OT Wrong advertised specifications

Page 3 of 6
Perhaps you high-school physics "C" students will do us the great favor of taking your moronic twaddle off the cooking newsgroup.

Gravity has an extensive kill-filter functionality...
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

Actually, he does have a point. Transmission delays through wires and other bits of hardware set a floor on latency - the time it takes for an unpredictable input to influence the output. But it doesn't limit throughput. In the same way that a CPU with a long execution pipeline may have many computations "in process" at a given time, communication links may have several signal states "in flight" within a single cable at a given time.
As clock rates and data rates climb, computer components look more and more like independently-clocked units networked together with high-bandwidth links, rather than classical "bus" communications where everyone is synchronized to a common clock and everyone has to see the same data.
    Dave

Yes, and if the processor clock rate is high enough, and the cable long enough, the processor can wind up having to wait for a signal to arrive -- which *does* limit throughput.
--
Regards,

Not a bit in this case. Espcially when we are talking 2 inches.
Paul
Paul M. Cook wrote:

So why do you talk about "restricted PCI bus speed" ? BTW: many of us are still using AGP, which is not dead, FYI.

Nope, and naver has: As a GPU is extremely memory intensive, an integrated solution finds itself competing for the already slow system RAM with the CPU as it has no dedicated video memory. System RAM may be 2 GB/s to 12.8 GB/s, yet dedicated GPUs enjoy between 10 GB/s and 160 GB/s of bandwidth depending on the model. (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit , search "bandwidth" and you're right on the spot)

Shorter means "with less hops". If data has to flow between onboard video RAM and GPU there's way less hops than from GPU to system memory via the PCIe or AGP bus. Moreover the GPU is synchronized with onboard video RAM, while it is not sync'ed to the system RAM, so many clock cycles will be wasted waiting for synchronization of *every* data trasnission in both ways.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose\'

itself
dedicated
model.
ways.
I'll just leave this conversation to you computer engineers.
Paul
Paul M. Cook wrote:

Never mind luvvie. You come and 'aveanarsecuppatea:)
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:41:27 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
specifications:

Good points Paul. I believe she got a decent machine at a reasonable price.

Download and run the free CPU-Z utility from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php . It tells you exactly what processor, FSB, motherboard and RAM (total, type and speed) you have. Then you can match the advertised specs against what is actually in the computer.
catalpa wrote:

A much better one is Belarc Advisor.
It tells you everything about your computer.
[8~{} Uncle Monster

Thanks for the link. Much more information, but it also has some minor problems. It gives the wrong total for installed memory (it subtracts out the video shared memory), but each slot is specified correctly. And it doesn't bother to read the SPD to specify the rated speed of each RAM module. Very useful for the list of Microsoft hotfixes.
catalpa wrote:

There is another program called Sandra that gives a lot of hardware data. I have huge collection of software and links and one day I'll get around to organizing them all. One day and another day.....
http://www.sisoftware.net /
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Terry wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that most computers you'd find at Circuit City or Best Buy have the exact same issue (I am surprised at some higher-end spec computers that use integrated video cards). I think the better advice is having a clue what you're looking at (and not posting computer related questions in off-topic newsgroups -- if you'd posted it in a computer-related newsgroup to begin with the first or second answer would likely have been correct). They also would have told you that since computer memory is never sold in 256mb increments anymore, having a machine with 768mb is nearly impossible.
Bill

That is most certainly not true.
http://www.pricewatch.com/memory /
Bob

256 MB is very common. It's a 512 stick with only one side populated. Not at all hard to manufacture. Very common and some systems still can be bought with that little base memory.
Paul
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Fine, so they still make it. When was the last time you saw a machine sold with memory in something other than 512mb increments. I just checked all of the desktops being sold at Walmart and they all have 512mb, 1gb or 2gb. I have not seen a machine sold with an odd amount like 768mb in a long time.
Bill

Not
Last week. My neighbor got a HP from Costco. Base RAM was 256MB. I installed an extra gig for him.
Paul

Maybe not 'sold' that way, but that is quite a common configuration, especially for older machines. I have one with 640MB (256MB + 256MB + 128MB) running Windows 2000, and one with 768MB (512MB + 128MB) running XP Pro. I just upgraded a clients Compaq Laptop to 768MB (128MB +512MB) as well.
Travis Jordan wrote:

Right, for older machines 256mb was very common. But not for current desktops, which is what we are discussing here.
Bill