OT Wrong advertised specifications

Guess again. AGP is what is gone. PCIe is the new standard. AGP died years ago. PICe is factors faster than AGP.

Nope. The bandwidth is identical.

Nope. It is not. Shortness means nothing, speed means everything.

You are partially right here. What you describe is potential. What out get out of the box is not the same.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

The math is correct but the measuring is wrong mb not k. 1gig = 1024 mb-256 mb= 768 mb

Robert

Reply to
Robert

You think the length of the signal path has nothing to do with speed?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Waves hand!

I do! I do! Pick me!

Reply to
HeyBub

Maybe not 'sold' that way, but that is quite a common configuration, especially for older machines. I have one with 640MB (256MB + 256MB +

128MB) running Windows 2000, and one with 768MB (512MB + 128MB) running XP Pro. I just upgraded a clients Compaq Laptop to 768MB (128MB +512MB) as well.
Reply to
Travis Jordan

You are aware, aren't you, that the speed of signal propagation is finite?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Good luck with that idea. No merchant has ever reimbursed me in any way for time/gas/trouble, when I've purchased a defective product. If they're interested in customer relations, they will apologize for the trouble, and that's about as good as it gets around here, when you shop at a chain store.

Shop locally, and your experience will be a lot better.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

Terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

While I agree that the advertising is misleading it is common practice to report installed memory as opposed to 'usable' memory.

Likewise for hard disks, where the size is often reported as unformatted, which is completely useless, of course. Then depending on what file system it is formatted in (NTFS for example) you get a big chunk devoted to the file system and not available for your stuff.

Same thing could be said for FSB (front side bus) speeds and the like.

Once consumers became more computer literate and learned what 'numbers' to shop for, manufactures built machines that 'looked' good.

Celeron. Need I say more?

So in this case I don't blame wally world.

Reply to
kpg*

Not a bit in this case. Espcially when we are talking 2 inches.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

First, you have something called a clock in the computer. All computers have a clock, they cannot run without one. Second, the signals can only be passed during a clock cycle. The speed of light is far faster than any clock we can employ therefore we are not dealing with theoretical limits we are dealing with practical limits i.e. the duration of each clock cycle. So in the case of a 2 inch wire trace, it would not matter if the trace were 1 inch because you can't get the data into the CPU any faster than it already is.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

You think so, do you?

1GHz clock rate = 1 nanosecond cycle length. How far do you suppose light moves in a nanosecond?

I won't argue that the difference between one inch and two doesn't matter at all -- YET -- but I'll leave it as an exercise for you to compute the approximate clock speed at which the difference between two inches and three

*does*, and then invite you to explore the availability of existing processors in that range.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes. And has nothing to do with the signal path.

Whether it's a 1/4 mile drag strip or the Indy 500, the top speed of my '57 VW Bug is the same. The length of the track or, as you put it, the signal path, has nothing to do with the speed.

Reply to
HeyBub

Precision, my man, precision. It's important.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Pope

Doug, you lost the argument. You claimed that the shorter bus length made for a faster data transfer. If we were talking photon switches (a theoretical possibility) then you'd be right. Someday, someday - you will be right. For today, you are wrong. The bottleneck in any computer is the CPUs ability to stay cool while you ramp up the clock speed. Silicon melts into a puddle of molten glass at the temperature generated by just the speeds we are talking about today. Try running your computer without a heat sink and cooling fan and you'll see what I mean.

We are nowhere near, not even close, to being able to run CPUs so fast they can run at the speed of light *per* channel. Think of 186,000 mps raised to the 32nd power then raise it by factors of 5286. That's faster than a horny Republican denying he's gay on national TV.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Some people can't shop locally. Poor people.

There are no WalMarts in New York, D.C., Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Detroit, Boston, and a few other union-dominated places. There are two WalMarts in Philadelphia, three in Atlanta and Miami, one in Los Angeles, and one in St Louis.

That's why there's

I'm in Houston - we have 17 WalMarts. (Nine in Dallas, seven in Austin, and fourteen in San Antonio - there's even one in Pflugerville, Texas)

Reply to
HeyBub

There is no room for a store the size of Wal-Mart in NYC (just in case you hadn't noticed, there is more to NY than NYC), and it would be too expensive to tear down existing buildings to build one in NYC. There are tons of Wal-Marts in NYS.

Reply to
willshak

Another reason to stay away from texas.

I refuse to shop at walmart or sams club for moral reasons. Their well documented mistreatment of employees, discrimination against women, union busting, and disrespect for the environment drive me away. They also have been the prime mover in exporting hundreds of thousands of US jobs to China and other countries where workers are mistreated and poorly paid. Their spying on employees is another problem. Yet another is the fact that state and local governments have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars annually to provide health benefits to walmart employees. The waltons rake in their billions while the taxpayers foot the bill for the employees' health insurance - wonderful.

I have too much self respect to shop at these places just to save a few bucks.

Reply to
Peter A

Length of path x speed = time required to traverse the path. Since the propagation speed of electrical signals has an inherent physical upper limit, the length of the signal path places an upper limit on the speed of any device that is depending on those signals.

Reply to
Doug Miller

[Lack of response noted]
[Lack of substantive response noted]

No, I didn't. I disagreed -- and still do -- with your claim that "shortness means nothing".

Again:

How far do you suppose light moves in a nanosecond?

At what clock speed, approximately, does the difference between a two-inch and three-inch signal path make a difference?

What is the clock speed of the fastest processor on the market today?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Right. But speed is independent of the route, the length, or number of beers per mile.

The length of the signal path has no bearing on the speed of the signal. The length affects the time it takes for the signal to transverse the path, but "speed" is independent of both time and distance. V = dx/dt as dt -> 0

Reply to
HeyBub