OT: Would you report this "illegal"l request?

Page 3 of 3

They'd gladly spend 20 minutes trying to squeeze a plea deal out of Bob for *some* sort of criminal act. That costs them close to nothing. Studies I've read say the most professional violate at least one Federal law a day, some, many more.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

What gets me is the cops are allowed to lie to *you* during questioning; but if you lie to *them*, its a criminal offence for 'obstruction of justice'.
The best advice EVER on talking to the police:
Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1 - YouTube      www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik 27 min Mr. James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney, tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed ...
Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2 - YouTube      www.youtube.com/watch?vfZQWjDVKE 21 min An experienced police officer tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police.

Horrific lies, too. As in "We have DNA evidence that links you to the murder victim" when it's not true or "Your brother named you as his killer just before he died."

Great stuff. A long time ago as a police reporter I watch how cops clammed up tight and said only "get my delegate" when they were asked about something. Of course, they knew every trick in the book that would be used to coerce them into a possible admission against interest such as: "If you refuse to talk to us, we'll think you're guilty." Newsflash: That's WHY they are talking to you. They already think you're involved. Utter word one and potential perjury charges start racking up like miles on a taximeter.
-- Bobby G.

elapse, he will admit to nothing wrong (since in his mind he had done nothing wrong) and we are back when where we started.

It takes an average prosecutor to convict a guilty man but it takes a great prosecutor to convict an innocent one. Bob may think he's the wronged one when he walks in but he may not walk out feeling that way. I recently read that a surprisingly large number of defendants take a guilty plea because of how terrorizing the DA can be regarding the outcome of a trial. Some of these people ended up being freed by DNA evidence review programs like Barry Scheck's "Innocence Project" and discussed the reasons why they felt compelled to falsely confess.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project
Of course, a skilled interrogator given a little more time could work wonders on Bob:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/08/12/why-do-the-innocent-confess /
<<When an experimenter falsely accused subjects of crashing a computer, 25% of them confessed even though they'd done nothing wrong, one study found. If the accusation was corroborated by a (lying) eyewitness, that number jumped to 80%.>>
Don't be so sure poor Bob won't fold like a cheap suit under pressure.
The articles above and below are really eye-openers and something a lot of people have suspected for a long time. In the bad old days, cops would arrest a guy for one burglary (for which he was guilty) and then get him to plead to three or four other cases (assuring him, often falsely, he would get "rhythm" on the extra charges) just so they could close them and make their clearance rate soar.
http://www.economist.com/node/21525840 says:
<<SINCE 1992 the Innocence Project, an American legal charity, has used DNA evidence to help exonerate 271 people who were wrongly convicted of crimes, sometimes after they had served dozens of years in prison. But a mystery has emerged from the case reports. Despite being innocent, around a quarter of these people had confessed or pleaded guilty to the offences of which they were accused.>>
Ham sandwich, anyone? (-:
-- Bobby G.