OT - Would you buy based on this description?

My parents recently spent a night at a hotel that had Sleep Number beds. They kind of liked the bed, so my dad went online to do a little research.

He learned that besides the mattresses, they also sell a Sleep Number Bed Modular Base. There was a link to "Learn More".

One of the things he learned is that the Modular Base is:

"Made in the USA of durable, long-lasting material"

First of all, isn't "long lasting" basically the definition of "durable"?

Second, "material"? Really? It's made of "material"?

If they went through to trouble to be that vague, you have to feel that there is something they don't want you to know.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it?s made (constructed) in the USA does that mean that the material (p arts) are also made in the USA? It seems to me that you could have an engine of a car and the rest of the c ar made in another country but just because the engine is installed in the USA the car would technically be made in the USA.

Reply to
recyclebinned

are also made in the USA?

made in another country but just because the engine is installed in the USA the car would technically be made in the USA.

If you expect ANYTHING you buy to be composed of components manufactured entirely in the USA, you'd better just quit buying stuff.

Beds are high margin items, because you buy two during your entire lifetime. Sleep number has to be the highest margin bed product on the planet.

But, you're missing the point. How do your parents like the PERFORMANCE of the product and are they willing to pay what's required to get it? As I recall, the warranty is long.

I looked at 'em. Initial reaction was good. Price was the killer.

Reply to
mike

Since you used the words "your parents" I assume you are addressing me, the OP, even though you responded to Mike's post.

If that's the case, I'm not missing any point. My point was the vague wording used to the describe the base - not the mattress.

The mattress is really the only thing where the "performance" would be the issue since you don't have to buy the base from Sleep Number. Any platform base will do, even a homemade one.

My point was only that the description of the base ("Made...of durable, long lasting material") is extremely vague and makes you wonder why they aren't more specific.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

are also made in the USA?

made in another country

be made in the USA.

There are specific laws regarding the words Made In America.

DerbyDad03

The fluffy advertising is normal these days. I'd not buy one because of all the bad reviews I've read about them. Expensive too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You've read bad reviews of the modular base?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had the misfortune of staying in a Hotel that had these atrocities in it. Worse mattress I've ever slept on. I can't believe your folks liked it... I can't believe anyone likes them.

As to your actual question... They probably keep switching from one low bid supplier to another and are never quite sure just what waste product will be used in the construction of the base at any point in time so they don't want to be too specific. If it's like the base for my normal box spring it's just a cheap wooden frame with barely enough stuff wrapped around it to keep the cats and dogs from getting inside.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

No, of the Sleep Number mattress. No mattress, no need for the base.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

...Snip...

After I posted my question, I had the chance to try the chat feature at the Sleep Number site. Here's a transcript of our conversation:

*****

Me: The description of the Modular Base reads: "Made in the USA of durable, long-lasting material". Can you tell me what "material" is used?

Raven: High Density Polymer - they use this to make children's playground equipment, it is that strong.

Me: Thanks. I wonder why they don't say that on the website. "...durable, long-lasting material" is kind of vague, don't you think?

Raven: Yes. I wish they did also. Raven: I do apologize. Raven: I guess that is what they have me for.

Me: I guess that's true! Thanks. Have a nice day.

*****

Assuming Raven meant HDPE, I assume that either they don't think visitors to their site will know what HDPE is or they are afraid to say that the bases are made of plastic.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mattress/bedding products are 2nd to auto brake repair in ripoff cost

Reply to
ChairMan

I haven't checked on them but from the ads I assume they are nothing more than an over hyped air mattress. That would turn me off right there. We slept on a waterbed while visiting her sister a couiple nights. Never again and I don't see an air mattress being much different.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Most likely the latter. It would be a selling point I would think but then I've been wrong before.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I think it's "memory foam" on top of an air mattress. The worst of two worlds.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Like Mont Blanc pens are made from "precious resin"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

From a recent post titled "Another Tool For The Trash Can";

"He probably never used it. When I turned it on, it ran for a few seconds, and then the chuck stopped turning. The motor continues to run just fine. The chuck is free-wheeling.

When I opened it, I found that there is a plastic or nylon sleeve that couples the motor shaft to the chuck. It was completely disintegrated from age."

This part might have been durable, that is, it could have taken a lot of use when relatively new, but the material it was made of was not long-lasting.

Reply to
Pavel314

Most definitions of durable read something like this:

: able to exist for a long time without significant deterioration...

...and this:

  1. Able to perform or compete over a long period...
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Check out Select Comfort. Same thing, half the price. I have a queen. Their customer service was top notch for the one call I needed to make. It is air, 2 sides, 'egg' foam and the memory foam on top. Not bad at all.

Reply to
Thomas

It is well proven that most people buy stuff based on the image created by the marketing department. Thats why fluffed up advertising with no substance is the norm. Few actually question and ask for details.

My rule is that the quality of something is inversely proportional to how much is spent to promote it.

Reply to
George

I guess the point of my post was not clear. My bad, I guess.

It was not about which bed/mattress my parents should choose. It was only about the *words* used in the description of the Modular Base.

"...durable, long lasting material"

My point was: Would anyone buy *any product* based on such a vague description of the product.

If a contractor was going to build you a deck and said he was going to use "durable, long lasting material" would you sign the contract? If a flooring store had a sale on flooring made of "durable, long lasting material" would you say "Well, then, sell me some of that!"

The description of the product, not the product itself, was the point of my post.

Reply to
DerbyDad03