OT - Would you buy based on this description?

Page 1 of 3
My parents recently spent a night at a hotel that had Sleep Number beds. They kind of liked the bed, so my dad went online to do a little research.
He learned that besides the mattresses, they also sell a Sleep Number Bed Modular Base. There was a link to "Learn More".
One of the things he learned is that the Modular Base is:
"Made in the USA of durable, long-lasting material"
First of all, isn't "long lasting" basically the definition of "durable"?
Second, "material"? Really? It's made of "material"?
If they went through to trouble to be that vague, you have to feel that there is something they don't want you to know.
On Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:43:02 PM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:

.

If it’s made (constructed) in the USA does that mean that the material (p arts) are also made in the USA? It seems to me that you could have an engine of a car and the rest of the c ar made in another country but just because the engine is installed in the USA the car would technically be made in the USA.

made in another country but just because the engine is installed in the USA the car would technically be made in the USA.
If you expect ANYTHING you buy to be composed of components manufactured entirely in the USA, you'd better just quit buying stuff.
Beds are high margin items, because you buy two during your entire lifetime. Sleep number has to be the highest margin bed product on the planet.
But, you're missing the point. How do your parents like the PERFORMANCE of the product and are they willing to pay what's required to get it? As I recall, the warranty is long.
I looked at 'em. Initial reaction was good. Price was the killer.
On 04/14/13 5:54 PM, mike wrote:

Since you used the words "your parents" I assume you are addressing me, the OP, even though you responded to Mike's post.
If that's the case, I'm not missing any point. My point was the vague wording used to the describe the base - not the mattress.
The mattress is really the only thing where the "performance" would be the issue since you don't have to buy the base from Sleep Number. Any platform base will do, even a homemade one.
My point was only that the description of the base ("Made...of durable, long lasting material") is extremely vague and makes you wonder why they aren't more specific.

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I understand your point and have wondered the same.
When I buy something I generally like to know as much as possible about it. However, there are limitations; for example, when buying a car there are usually detailed specs about it...engine, powertrain, etc. My car expertise doesn't go much beyond "horsepower" and "manual/automatic" so most of the detail is wasted on me. I think that is true of most people but not about the same things.
In the bed frame example, how many people would understand the difference if the manufacture had added "hardwood" as a modifier? How about "white oak"? Or "longleaf Southern yellow pine"? To us, that would be useful information but to most it would not..."durable" they understand; "long lasting" they understand. IOW, simplicity and redundancy in puffery vs detail :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

it.

expertise

I'm sure you're much more likely to evaluate a detailed set of audio specs. As you say, it's there for the people it means something to, and that varies.
The puffery has to be vague because if it's specific it constitutes a legal offering. If you buy special gold-plated DVD-Rs for archival recordings you have a right to expect them to actually be gold-plated. If you buy a car with a 2L displacement, it should measure out that way. But if you buy the world's most famous hamburger, you can pretty much be assured that's NOT what you're getting.
Since there are so many unemployed, recently graduated lawyers roaming the countryside, vendors have to be careful not to promise something they can't deliver. The major exception seems to be the outright fraudsters running late night infomercials.
Most puffery relies on exactly the kinds of vague words they used in the OP's mattress base ad. Specific is bad unless it's verifiable so they generally do not use words like "the best", "the strongest" or "the *most* durable." Those words, if not true, could trigger a suit based on false advertising (in many jurisdictions that allows for treble damages). So instead we get "one of the finest" or "four out of five doctors" or "LSMFT." Ad copy from just about any Fortune 500 company is vetted by their legal department before it's released.

if

oak"?

information

In addition, a "soft" descriptor like "durable" allows them to change the type of wood they use. Guitar makers and other exotic wood consumers are learning that right now.
Something that really torques me up are the places that advertise titanium drill bits when they actually mean titanium *coated* drill bits. One you sharpen a coated bit, it's just a regular steel bit for the most part.
http://www.irwin.com/support-services/ask-irwin/4
--
Bobby G.

Who's stupid facts are these?
Hell, I've had at least 6 beds in my life, not including the days when I was young and just put that mattress on the floor, and I've has at least 10 mattresses, if not 12 or more. In fact I just replaced a saggy mattress recently. I always wonder who makes up facts like this? When people move a long distance they often sell their large furniture and buy new stuff at the new location. People have floods, fires, and other disasters that make them buy a new bed, etc. And does this include their infant bed? If it does, that would mean that once they get out of that infant bed, they sleep in the same bed for the rest of their life. That's just not true for most. Hell, I had an infant bed, single (twin) bed as I got older, then the frame broke so I got another twin bed, then a larger bed, and when I moved, I bought a different one and sold the old one. There were several years when I was in school, I had a bed as part of a rental, so that's another. And dont forget the bed you had in the military if you were in the military.
People who only had 2 beds in their life, probably existed in the 1800s, and that was only if they had no disasters that damaged their bed, and stayed in the same home all their lives.
And dont forget the last bed we will all own, our DEATH BED. I still have not found any furniture stores that advertise "Death Beds". I guess they are not too popular!!!
I doubt there are more than a handfull of people who have only had two beds in their lifetime.
<...snipped...>

<...snipped...>
I bought a sandwich today that I believe was made from 100% USA supplied materials and labor...

I would be willing to bet that if it had anything grown out of the ground, it was picked and or planted by non natural born Americans.

What ? You actually ate the "Made in China" tag ?? Ewww..

Not just high margin, but they "sell" you a base that has no other purpose than to sell you a base..
I found a local mattress maker that builds mattresses from scratch I told him what I wanted and needed. He built me a mattress that exceeded my expectations and cost about 40% of supposedly equivalent name-brand mattresses. I have since purchased mattresses for my kids and replacements for the cabin.
In many ways, they are like the seats in a BMW and Mercedes-Benz. When you first sit on them, you are surprised at how firm, if not hard, they are. But when you drive a long distance, you're amazed at how comfortable they are and how little fatigue you have suffered from the long drive.

There are specific laws regarding the words Made In America.
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard

The fluffy advertising is normal these days. I'd not buy one because of all the bad reviews I've read about them. Expensive too.

You've read bad reviews of the modular base?
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 01:44:35 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

No, of the Sleep Number mattress. No mattress, no need for the base.
On 4/14/2013 9:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is well proven that most people buy stuff based on the image created by the marketing department. Thats why fluffed up advertising with no substance is the norm. Few actually question and ask for details.
My rule is that the quality of something is inversely proportional to how much is spent to promote it.

s.

rch.

e"?

That is about my approach. Take all the commercials plugging the various "new" OTC medicines. IMy immediate thought on hearing one is "if it were good enough to do half the things they claim, the doctores would be prescribing it".
Harry K
On Monday, April 15, 2013 12:03:44 PM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:

Why would a doctor prescribe an OTC medication?
"New" OTC meds are generally "old" prescribed meds that have been around lo ng enough and proven to be safe enough to be "self prescribed" by the avera ge consumer... and there's more money to be made in the consumer market tha n the prescription market.
Unless you can pull actual data, you have no idea how many times these "new OTC" meds have been prescribed. Could be millions of times. Prilosec, for example, was prescription only for many years, and was certainly prescribed millions of times. Now you can get it OTC.
On Apr 15, 12:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

long enough and proven to be safe enough to be "self prescribed" by the ave rage consumer... and there's more money to be made in the consumer market t han the prescription market.

ew OTC" meds have been prescribed. Could be millions of times. Prilosec, fo r example, was prescription only for many years, and was certainly prescrib ed millions of times. Now you can get it OTC.
The point was dthat if were as good as claimed it wouldn't _BE_ OTC.
Harry k

enough and proven to be safe enough to be "self prescribed" by the average consumer... and there's more money to be made in the consumer market than the prescription market.

OTC" meds have been prescribed. Could be millions of times. Prilosec, for example, was prescription only for many years, and was certainly prescribed millions of times. Now you can get it OTC.

Illogical.