OT. Worst U.S. blizzards

Page 5 of 6

<stuff snipped>

weather.
us
I look at it this way. With Pakistan having nearly 100 nukes and Iran working furiously to get the bomb, we've got far more to worry about than changing weather patterns.
I think part of the problem is that a certain number of people, for whatever reason, believe that things should always stay the same. No species can be allowed to go extinct, though throughout history species have been going extinct at a pretty impressive clip. There's a seeming sentiment that this world, these coastlines, these weather patterns and all that goes with them should now be frozen forever as the ideal status quo. That's just crazy.
We got where we are as a species *because* we were able to adapt to everything that nature threw at us. I suspect we'll have to learn to adapt to changing weather, whether it's caused by man, God, nature, aliens or sunspots. I predict someday that the pipes that now bring natural gas to people's houses will be used to deliver oxygen and the rich will be breathing cans of Perri-air like in Spaceballs. (-:
Besides, any day the Yellowstone supervolcano could erupt again and make everything we're worrying about now completely academic. California's money problems will be solved by 2 feet of black ash. Hell, the seismic shock of the eruption could make the new West Coast shoreline run through Utah. Anyo ne who's seen footage of Pinatubo (a pimple compared to Yellowstone's potential) blowing its stack has some idea how bad a supervolcano explosion could be for the entire western half of the US (and Canada!).
-- Bobby G.

I love how, every time the temperature goes below 32, and/or it snows a little bit, all the right-wingers start in with the, "Global warming? HAW HAW HAW!" bit.
It's getting a little tired...
Global warming doesn't exist anymore. They call it "climate change" now because of all the idiots who think that just because it gets cold and a little snow falls, all is right with the world.
All I know is, we don't get the snow around here like we used to. Dad used to have the snow piled up 15' anywhere there was room to put it. Some years he had trouble finding places to put it. He hasn't pushed up a decent snow pile in almost 20 years, not that he's complaining.
Something's different. Whether we caused it or not, we'll just have to wait and see.
Bob F wrote:

This just in from East Anglia:
"Weather" is NOT climate change in months that have an "R" in their names. Otherwise it is.
There's actual data to demonstrate this.

I propose oyster season as factual proof!
Steve

How were these blizzards rated worse? one said in 1899 it came with no warning, well back then there were no weather satellites and no national weather service.
if they were rated as worst for death rate all our modern stuff helps to minimize deaths.
my take on global warming, when you dont totally understand such a serious hazard its best to respect it and avoid making it worse.....
the people who dont believe in global warming have a wait till its terrible past tipping point approach.
this isnt smart, imagine the costs to evacuate the coast lines and islands world wide if the ocean level rises more.....
if you think the budget deficit is bad now just wait till all the coastal land owners want compensation:(
?
wrote:

That was my first though after reading #5 and #4. Then I read the next ones at 1993 and 1950.

I hope you're not suggesting that when Chicken Little says the sky is falling, we respect the claim without hearing out both sides of the argument.
The polar ice caps are melting and anyone who doubts that is oblivious to reality. But the high priests of global warming do not want to hear or respond to their critics. They belong to Bill Clinton School of debate - personal attack rather than responding to the questions.

Yes, it could likely have only been a ricochet from the ground....................
Dick Adams wrote:

If the NORTH polar ice-cap melts, it will be a terrific boon for the world's economy. The fabled Northwest Passage will become a reality and shipping costs between Asia and Europe will be cut in half. Likewise shipping costs between Asia and the U.S. east coast will go down significantly, to the benefit of all involved.
If the SOUTH polar ice-cap melts, maybe there'll be a problem. It will still be cold at the South Pole, snow will still keep falling. The question is whether the ice will melt faster than it forms.
Heres a question for those who dont believe in global warming!
If the poles melt and flood the coast lines, will you stll deny its global warming?
Or just claim its not caused by man?
Everyone will get interested in global warming once the wall streeters are getting their 5 grand shoes wet going to work:)

Here's a question for the physics challenged warmingists; if the North pole only melts (note you said "poles"), will the seas rise enough to swamp NYC? Miami? Amsterdam? (NOLA is no fair, it's already under water).

Not. If it were, sending trillion$ to the third world (including DC) won't help one little bit.

Why don't you double your electric bill and send that half to the third world dictators?

Ah, change the subject when cornered. Typical watermellon.

Funny thing about Global Warming, it's actually misnamed. It should be called Solar System Warming because a Russian scientist discovered that the planet Mars is warming up just the same as The earth. Unless there are greedy, evil, Republican, pollution mongers on Mars, something else is going on like maybe The Sun is emitting more radiation. Don't ya just love the Chicken Littles of the world. :-)
http://preview.tinyurl.com/24k59w
TDD
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:48:05 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Didn't you know? Republicans are from Mars. Demonicrats are from Venus.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Thereby proving, using the same "science" as the Global Warming deacons, that intelligent life lives on Mars and this intelligent life has burned all the trees with a concomitant increase in CO2.
On 1/30/2011 4:01 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I think there have been reports of all the planets warming up, even the excommunicated former planet Pluto. :-)
TDD

Did you read the whole article?
Amato Evan, a climate scientist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, added that "the idea just isn't supported by the theory or by the observations."
Planets' Wobbles
The conventional theory is that climate changes on Mars can be explained primarily by small alterations in the planet's orbit and tilt, not by changes in the sun.
"Wobbles in the orbit of Mars are the main cause of its climate change in the current era," Oxford's Wilson explained. (Related: "Don't Blame Sun for Global Warming, Study Says" [September 13, 2006].)
So, one Russian Scientist, who happens to think the way you like is enough to convince you? I think this explains Sarah Palin. And you call us "Moonbats"!
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

Uh, yeah.
But I don't think anyone has claimed that Sarah Palin wobbles. I mean she probably has a normal female wiggle, but "wobble"?
In wrote:

When did Bush, Cheney and Palin go to Mars?<g>

Good!