OT. Worst U.S. blizzards

Page 4 of 6

I confused your name with Stormie. Oops! Sorry!
--
- Don ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Stormie just wants to get that stupid religious sig up there where some clueless twit might click on it.
Steve
On 2/2/2011 12:00 AM, Steve B wrote:

Oh come on, Stormie doesn't push his faith obnoxiously like some of my Southern Baptist cousins who make up half my family. They're my Jesus Freaks so I have a right to pick on them since they can drive you nuts.
TDD
Robert Green wrote:

Yes, thank you.

Sure. Land of the moon-bats.

;-) I think they should line 'em up ear-to-ear on Mansfield. The WCAX tower would blend into the scenery,

Line 'em up off Martha's Vineyard, too.

You get those things tuning the right speed at sunset, and the light show could be a problem. I was sitting in a barber shop one day facing a large window. Sun was low but very bright. They had a manicurist girl in there, wearing white pants.
She walked past the windows real fast and her legs made the light flash in a strange way. So strange it did something to my brain, and I said "Whoa," and turned to the guy sitting right next to me to comment on it. He wasn't hearing me though, as he was falling to the floor with an epileptic seizure.
Had a hell of a time trying to keep him from biting his tongue off. I was on the floor holding his head in my lap to keep it from banging on the floor, then squeezing the sides of his jaws trying to keep him from clamping down more on his tongue. One barber was holding his legs to keep them from thrashing, and another barber yelled "Get something in his mouth so he don't bite his tongue off!" The manicurist grabbed a metal tablespoon and started it put it his mouth and somebody else yelled, "No! He'll break his teeth! He was a young strong guy with good teeth. Nobody knew what the hell to do, but we did what we could. Lasted about a minute - maybe. Hard to tell. Ambulance was there pretty quick, but he didn't want their help, and just walked out. What a god awful affliction to have.
--Vic

Yep. But the thread turned into global warming right off the bat. Anything but that! So far your photo of the wind turbines is the only post I even read. When I see a bunch of numbers and links to "scientific studies" all that means is somebody else will come back with their own numbers and links to counter-studies. Nobody ever changes their position. That's why I don't have one. Don't like to be locked in. I'll wait for the floods or the ice age. Have both my boat and igloo ready. That 1922 article was interesting. Clicked on that. How come nobody mentioned the mini-ice age of a few hundred years ago? Yeah, explain that one!
--Vic

That one has a name, "Little Ice Age".
It is widely attributed to the Maunder Minimum, a 1,000-year-class dip in solar activity, often thought to be a feature of a roughly 1,000 year cycle among the at-least-4 cycles that the sun has.
Many of those claiming that anthropogenic global warming is a problem that requires major government actions and lifestyle changes argue that the LIA was less than what it is often made out to be, or only significantly affected a small portion of the world.
It is likely that we are going into a near-repeat of the Dalton Minimum, a lesser and shorter roughly 2.5 to maybe 3 decade dip in solar activity that is on a ~210 year cycle, as best as these things are known. This is coinciding with downturns in a ~64-70 year Atlantic "oscillation" and a possibly-loosely-linked ~60-64 year Pacific one.
Despite rising CO2, global temperature looks to me having fair chance to actually sustain a slight downturn from a few years ago to ~2035.
Once these cycles reverse and global temperature shoots up from ~2035 to ~2070, we'll know really well how much effect CO2 has on global temperature. But I see strong signs that it's ~50-60% of that mentioned by those saying we need to do something about it. For example, how almost half of the warming of global temperature after 1973 appears to me to be from periodic factors.

On 1/31/2011 9:59 PM, Don Klipstein wrote:

It looks to me that the PDO and other Pacific conditions contributed to cooling the *last* decade. In spite of that the climate warmed.
You simply can not pump that much CO2 into the air and have it's contribution be negligible. Roy Spencer argues that nobody knows what the climate sensitivity is and there are possible negative feedbacks to the increased CO2 and warming. But it it seems more likely that there are more significant positive feedbacks. Atmospheric methane is on the rise, particularly in the Arctic. I think it is no coincidence that the tundra is thawing which is a substantial methane sink. Much of the highly reflective ice cover is gone also.
The arctic will tell what our climate is going to do. And the signs there are very bad. There is increasing science that the collapse of the arctic shelves is a strong factor in no longer containing the Jet Stream to largely meredial flows. Ice in Dallas, well the Jet Stream dipped all the way down to Mexico! No wonder.
In effect the arctic icebox has been opened up. Get used to it.
This is climate change. You can argue over how much of it is anthropogenic. Just because we can do nothing about solar flux, then we should do nothing about the factors we do have control over?
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

Let's see, Jeff. You said:
"It looks to me..." "Roy Spencer argues that nobody knows..." "But it seems more likely..." "I think it is no coincidence..." Rational statements, but they come down to "we don't know for sure."
As to your last question, the answer is an unequivocal YES, we SHOULD do NOTHING about the factors we can control when so doing will involve one-sixth of our nation's economy.
No, wait; that's health care!
Still, what would it cost to replace over 17,000 coal, oil, and natural gas generators in the United States. At $1 billion each*, pretty soon we're talking real money.
And that's just power plants. Don't get me started on breathing!
------- * Latest estimate from Duke Energy to build an 800-megawatt generating station.
bud-- wrote:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/post-carbon/2010/12/2010_hottest_climate_year_on_r.html
Heh!
"Comparing the actual data for each year, from 2001 to 2010, with that given in the press release shows that for four years the original figure has been adjusted downwards. Only for 2010 was the data revised upwards, by the largest adjustment of all, allowing the Met Office to claim that 2010 was the hottest year of the decade."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/8290469/How-BBC-warmists-abuse-the-science.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/8290469/How-BBC-warmists-abuse-the-science.html
An soon, Newton Smith should have the new revisions as soon as Barry Sotero's lackey approves them. Straight from TOGNBAF, The Official Government NewSpeak Bureau of Adjusted Facts, just as soon as they get this nagging birth certificate issue reprinted. Do not accept any facts from any other agency, hold it in an electronic file, do not waste paper by printing it because it may change at any time, and stand by for revisions.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book. http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve B wrote:

Well, it's actually the effects of a strong La Nina that's causing all the fun. We're easing into drought conditions here in Nebraska. Last summer was unusually wet. Crop prices are good. Australia had bad weather as did Russia. I don't know about South America off hand. So I should have more money in my pocket at the end of the summer. I'll be too tired to spend it though.
In :::: A little perspective for those in the Northeast and :::: sick of snow. http://tinyurl.com/4lufyy8 ::: ::: So, how's all that global warming working for you? ::: ::: :: :: Well, it's actually the effects of a strong La Nina :: that's causing all the fun. :: We're easing into drought conditions here in Nebraska. :: Last summer was unusually wet. :: Crop prices are good. Australia had bad weather as did :: Russia. I don't know about South America off hand. :: So I should have more money in my pocket at the end of :: the summer. I'll be too tired to spend it though.
Don't know about more money if your pocket by end of the coming summer, but La Nina IS something that's seldom mentioned by the zealots. The latest scientific journals I've read seem to have come around to saying that LaNina is the actual driving force, and the cessation of human produced CO2 might be able to lessen the peaks, they are no longer saying it's the cause. IT's like 2012 in a way; we'll either all be space dust or nothing will happen, in reality. Lots of talk about what to do but nothing is happening. Things COULD be done, but no one can see the actual problems and won't until they are in retrospect. However, if you go out and start calculating the number of pounds of CO2 created by volcanoes, for instance, you'll see it far outweighs man's contributions. Then look at ALL of the steel mills: we have a few, third nations run 24/7 steel mills around the world, so count those, too. But they are not enough to be a cure in any way, as are the volcanoes. Then you have the CO2 NOT being changed to O2 by the forests and trees cut down around the world; an easy target for vengence, but nothing compared to the CO2 load of anything so far mentioned here. Add all of the world's forest and building fires: Still way above the human contribution. Not going to change, either. The fires are ignited by nature for a very good reason but you'll never stop fires from lightning and tinder in the forests; it will burn, eventually, but not emit much CO2 compared to the amount needed to impact that of other naturally occurring events.
Today's conditions, as bad as they are, have occurred throughout history; this one fits into the same patter and voracity as history shows. Once you're pre-industrial age, most of the human contributing figures didn't exist and yet some of them were the equal of what we're seeing now.
It's time for a war of citations: Let's see verifiable, current evidence from "real" sources about this stuff. I dare say I have more cites than you do and likely many other sky is falling advocates, too. But we won't know anything for sure until we are through it and can look back on it and watch the next 50-year results.

Volcanoes, averaged over the years, are producing more like 1% as much CO2 as fossil fuel burning is.

Volcanoes produce on average 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually. In 2003, fossil fuel burning produced 26.8 billion tonnes.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html

On 2/1/2011 2:35 PM Don Klipstein spake thus:

Anyone who's a global climate change denier because "hey, we can't be putting *that* much CO2 into the air" clearly has no grasp of the dimensions of the problem, whether one spells it "tons" or "tonnes".
We're burning shit at an unprecedented rate. Which apparently has a definite, measurable effect on our planet's environment. Hey, who woulda thunk it?

Don Klipstein wrote:

You evidently haven't heard of the Global Warming crew's secret plan to fill all active volcano's caldera's with concrete.
Sure, it would cost a lot, and maybe not even work, but we've got to TRY!
It's for the children.
On 2/1/2011 4:35 PM, Don Klipstein wrote:

"OK, who's going to measure the CO2 output of the volcano today?" "Not me, I'm not going near that thing again." "Hey, I know, get Mikey to do it!" "Hey Mikey, want to dress up like a spaceman and go check the CO2 output of the volcano?" "Look! Mikey, he likes it!" :-)
TDD
On 1/29/2011 7:48 PM, Steve B wrote:

I wouldn't take you to be ignorant, but that is the simplistic denier response. Which one of those right wingnut morons came up with that?
Global warming is only a degree or so, not enough to make the summers bake and winter to go away. Is that what you thought?
What happens is that it is enough, to melt arctic ice shelves, since much of the warming is concentrated in the arctic. That is a major player in the Jet Stream which has been shifting poleward.
http://climate.uu-uno.org/articles/view/162394/?topic#694
But every cool summer day, or cold winter day, some moron says: "How's all that global warming working for you.".
Jeff

It's just a saying, Jeff. I am so tired of millions of Chicken Littles running around on their bicycles eating tofu and wailing about the weather. I personally spend about one second a week thinking of it on the average.
The question was directed at each person to provoke thought. I do know we are headed towards a precipice, but the momentum of the masses will take us over the edge before the resistance of the sane can slow things down. As long as there's enough gas in the car to go get more beer, most people are ignorantly happy.