OT: Woman's House Mistakenly Auctioned by Bank

[Homestead, FL] You know times are tough when people are getting kicked out of their house when itís not even for sale.
Thatís what happened to Anna Ramirez after she found all of her stuff out on the front lawn of her Homestead home last week and a strange man demanding she get out of his newly purchased house.
The eviction came after Ramirezís home was mistakenly auctioned off to the highest bidder by her bank, Washington Mutual. Usually, you get a warning before you get the boot. A foreclosure letter. Maybe a sign saying your house is up for sale. Not Ramirez, who found her belongings bashed and battered in the street."
"This came out of nowhere," Ramirez said. "The bank took the house from right under my feet."
The man who bought the house told Ramirez he paid $87,000 for it, which shocked Ramirez, who bought the house for $260,000.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/weird/Womans-House-Mistakenly-Auctioned-by-Bank-53583357.html
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Oren wrote:

Did you see the picture of her house? She paid $260,000 for a shotgun shack?
I guess the bank figured if she was dumb enough to pay that much, she wouldn't complain about being on the street.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

What picture? It can't be the one at the website that was posted 'cuz the article says that there was no warning - specifically, no sign...
"The eviction came after Ramirezís home was mistakenly auctioned off to the highest bidder by her bank, Washington Mutual. Usually, you get a warning before you get the boot. A foreclosure letter. Maybe a sign saying your house is up for sale. Not Ramirez, who found her belongings bashed and battered in the street."
My guess is that they used a file photo on the website.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
DerbyDad03 wrote:

You're probably right. But times are really tough when the Miami NBC affiliate can't afford a stock photo of some house more substantial than a hogan.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The article also says "police", but usually it's the sheriff's office that handles evictions. Wonder what would have happened if they barricaded themselves in the house and refused to come out? An eviction order is not sufficient grounds for a "dynamic entry". Unless the "Patriot Act" changed that... ;-)
Bob
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
HeyBub wrote:

The real story details are quite a bit different from what is being posted here. The bank departments did screw up, but when the error was found the bank went to court with Ms. Ramirez to correct it, and the court clerk subsequently screwed up in not filing the correction properly.
As for the prices paid for the home, that is the result of the absurd housing bubble and our failed schools not educating the buyers. It's not any different than the folks who were paying $750K for homes worth $250K at best.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Yea they were thinking so what if my payment is going to go up 50% 5 yrs down the road. The house will be worth $3M by then, I can sell it, pay off the 750 and pocket big bucks.
Although not as bad as it happened, I saw some real nastiness buring the boom. I saw it and I'm an a-hole...with many references :-)
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Oren wrote:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/weird/Womans-House-Mistakenly-Auctioned-by-Bank-53583357.html
That thunderous noise is a hundred lawyers converging on Homestead, FL via plane, limo and helicopter.
--Winston
Add pictures here
‚úĖ