OT Wisconsin public workers

Page 3 of 5

But one Guardsman with a rifle and grenade can easily teach a half dozen classes and get full attention of the students.

I like it, I like it.

Same is true of many Mormans...
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
Get back to work. oops, you never work, you just collect your government checks just like welfare.
harry wrote:

[paraphrasing]
A real man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
An example?
At some point, after at least two buildings were hit, the head of the FAA asked: "How many aircraft aloft over CONUS?"
"About forty-eight hundred," came the response.
"Okay. This shit stops right now. I want ATC-Zero nationwide."
"That's never been done! You can't do that!"
"I just did. Make it happen. Everything in the air is to land at the nearest airport."
Another?
[RING, RING] "Hello" "Is this Dr Fenymann?" "Yes" "Doctor Richard P. Feynmann?" (wearily) "Yes" "Dr Feynmann, my name is Joe Blow, I am the United States Ambassador to the Court of King Gustav V of Norway. It is my distinct pleasure to inform you that you have been awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Physics!" ... "Do you know what the hell time it is in California?" ... "Er, no..." "It is three o'clock in the goddamn morning. Call back after nine!"
[click]

Yawn..... In my entire working career, I was never a member of a union and I did just fine, thank you. Maybe that's because I'm competent and responsible. If an employer didn't treat me right, I just found a new and better job.
I did see the effects of what unions achieve though,. When I entered a Bell LAbs facility with a small hand cart and a piece of demo equipment, no bigger than a small piece of luggage, I wasn't allowed to just roll it to the room in the building I was walking to. No, I had to sit there in the lobby and wait until a "porter" was summoned to roll it for me. And while working on radar at Hughes Aircraft, I couldn't solder a simple connection. No, I had to have a person authorized by the union do it. That meant when working, I had a union person sitting there twiddling their thumbs for hours, in the chance that sometime during the shift, I would need a cap removed and another one soldered in. That included at overtime rates during night hours, etc. Great system for enhanced productivity in a world economy....

I don't know whether this is true or someone made it up, but I believe it true. When Germany had a lack of bricklayers and England an oversupply, the Germans hired some Brits. When they arrived and were shown the work habits (not the clothing kind) of the German bricklayers a problem developed. erman bricklayers could handle hammers, nails and wooden slats to demarcate the bricklaying. The Brits were used to call in carpenters for that. To make a long story short, the Brits went home.
Work rules are fine, featherbedding isn't.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Work rules are not fine, not when the supervisor can't have a machinist sweep the area around his equipment because it's a safety hazard. If the machinist has to stand down while a sweeper is summonend, well, there you are.

Completely agree.
--
Best regards
Han

What matters more is what you can take out and when you can do it. Many public workers put in their time for retirement and then take private sector jobs to pay into SS and collect again when they turn 6x for full benefits.

As do many private sector employees.
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 22:38:54 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

They were just talking about this on MSNBC (not Fox) and they pointed out Wisconsin public service workers are only paying 4% into their pension, far below the norm. The national average is over 7%.

<...snipped...>
The Windfall Elimination Provision, enacted in 1983, substantially limits the Social Security annuity that a person collecting a CSRS pension can collect. It was enacted with the ostensible purpose of preventing high ranking government officials such as cabinet members and congressmen from "double dipping" but also had the unintended consequence of reducing the social security benefit for a worker who, say, at the age of 30, after paying into SS for 10 years, then took a federal government job under CSRS. Such an employee will only get a small minimum benefit from SS, much less than if he was allowed to collect for the full 10 years of payments.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Nanno wrote:

The unions have already said they will accept the changes to retirement and medical costs. They understand that the Wisconsin is in financial peril and are willing to do their part.
What they WILL NOT accept is the ultimate changes to work rules negotiated via collective bargaining. These "work rules" include such things as class sizes, how often to mop the floor in the cafeteria, temporary assignements of teachers, and, of course, state concessions and pay for employees attending to union business.
"Top leaders of two of Wisconsin's largest public employee unions announced they are willing to accept the financial concessions called for in [governor ] Walker's plan, but will not accept the loss of collective bargaining rights."
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_a05349be-3be1-11e0-b0a1-001cc4c002e0.html

You are right, its not across the board but in WI, that is the case. As for the SS, you better check your own facts.

You might give that a try yourself.

Public sector unions are just an arm of the Democrat Party...The union thugs force workers to pay dues that are then funneled to dems who in turn give them fat contracts at OUR expense ...For that reason they should be outlawed...Here in Maine we are going about it in a slightly different way...We are going to be a Right to Work State with dues being voluntary and a governor who is going to attack the bloated beaucracy with a machete..Bye , bye union....The pinky ring wearing union thugs are in an uproar...It WILL pass...Maine has a republican Governor , Senate and House for the first time in 40 years...The pension and health care for life for government hacks is a 2 BILLION dollar weight that is about to be shed...We simply can't afford it...

What they don't say is our DoD budget is really a jobs program. Because of the way bid requirements are written, most military hardware has to be made in the US, one of our principle industries, since we import just about everything else. The military also hires a lot of people directly, either in uniform or as contractors. Most support functions are performed by civilian contractors. They are also careful to spread these jobs across the country, in about the same proportion as congressional representation.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yup, the Department of Defense is actually said to be a huge health care program with an army.

You're crazy. Corporations give far more to Demonicrats. ...as does Big Labor, and Wall Street.
?

They give to whoever may be the most help to them. Both parties are usually on the list.