OT Wisconsin public workers

Page 1 of 5
They ought to be ashamed of themselves. They're lucky to have jobs while private sector workers are laid off. The public workers have the cadillac of benefits while many of us private workers pay in full for our own health care benefits.

Talk about being ashamed, or should be, how about the Dem State Senators who ran out of state to prevent a bill being passed.
Typical though
Bob-tx
Bob-tx wrote:

It's what Democrats do.
In 2003, members of the Texas House decamped to Oklahoma, simultaneously raising the average I.Q. level of both states, while Democratic members of the Senate hied themselves to New Mexico. These deployments were in response to efforts to redistrict the state's congressional seats.*
Democratic members of the Colorado legislature, in solidarity with their cousins from Texas, made a resupply run from Boulder to New Mexico with necessary supplies: peaches and beer.
------- * Before the 2003 redistricting, Democrats held a 17-15 margin in congressional seats. After redistricting, the balance shifted to 21-11 in favor of the Republicans.
HeyBub wrote:

It's actually a classic battle of workers vs management. Now if were were smart we'd be paying attention to how much the banksters sucked out of the system, how much the military costs are, how much we are going to have to pay on city, state, national debts, and realize how easy life could be if we........ oh what's the use human nature being what it is, it's every man, woman and child for their self. Relax the brightest minds money can bribe are working on the problem, just think of Uncle Sam as an endless fountain of money and sit back and watch Oprah on the big screen TV have confidence all will be OK.

Indeed, the problem is that people are thinking of it as a them vs us thing. It needs to be what is fair for workers and society, and that isn't easy. Civil servants (for want of a better designation) were long badly underpaid. They deserved better. Now the pendulum has swung a bit too far the other way in some cases, but of course, if you went into a profession in part because of the benefits/retirement policies, it isn't fair to take that away after you put in at least some of your time. I still don't think that eachers are overpaid at all, as an example. Higher ups and CEOs are overpaid (DAMHIKT!).
Maybe we should redesign the benefits etc for people who start out next year. Then we also abslutely need to fund those obligations that are unfunded now. Probably most fair to levy a 1-2% tax on everyone to catch up and fund the unfunded stuff for the next 5 or so years.
After that the politicians making decisions need to be held personally financially accountable for decisions they make. All that flimflam artistry should be outlawed. </soapbox>
--
Best regards
Han

In some cases the Civil servant is still underpaid. Take your typical DOT, which every state has. The Civil worker makes between 15 & $18 an hour, and over-sees prevailing wage projects, where the private industry worker is getting $28+ an hour.
The typical Civil servant will spend their money locally. Where as, many of the private industry companies, which do contract work for states, the people are from out-of-state. The largest portion of the dollars earned, are not put back into the local economy.

Nanno wrote:

I met a guy many years ago how was a DOT worker in Tennessee. There were 700 people in his shop. He justified indolence and sloth most of the year by saying his group needed that many people to handle the crush of annual registration!
Other states simply ELIMINATED the crush of annual registration by staggering the registration anniversary.
But that would require a change in the union work rules...

NJ Motor vehicle registration used to be a notoriously bad example of customer service. Since I moved to NJ it has changed for the MUCH better. It is now almost pleasant to renew your license or registration in person, even on a Saturday morning.
No causative link between my moving to NJ and the change in customer treatment is implied ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/20/2011 7:07 AM, Han wrote:

--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Long before Christie. Moved 12 years ago.
--
Best regards
Han

Some make expirations on your birth date, to eliminate even the end-of-the-month crush. Some even go one better, allowing mail-in or on-line registration. Alabamistan allows this, but charges *extra* for both. It's actually cheaper to tie up the clerk's time. Even banks have figured this one out.

They did it in NY some forty years ago. I would think Tennessee would be more enlightened.

Instead of posting this as "OT' , how about 'WOT" for way off topic?
Joe
<snip>

It's a subject some of us care deeply about.
--
Best regards
Han

We did away with you Brits for doing exactly this sort of thing.

If they weren't tried originally, there is no double-jeopardy.

I repeat, we did away with you Brits for doing exactly this sort of thing.

You have no idea what public workers pay for their benefits. It's not across the board for the benefits. Your ilk make me sick when you repeat something you haven't a clue about.
Bet you didn't know some public workers pay 10 & 12% towards their pensions, while someone paying into SS pays only 6.5% or make that 4.2%.
Some public workers take a lesser pay, in order to get better benefits. Some public workers are taking up to 10 "Cost savings days" per year. The employer deducts from their paycheck each pay, so you get paid by taking mandatory time off.
Instead of whining & blaming others for your failure to land a half way decent job, look in the mirror.
Next time you need a policeman or firefighter, call Glenn Beck & Rush Limbaugh to help you out.

Hello blowhard Nanno,
You wrote: "Bet you didn't know" and blathered on and on with your look in the mirror crap. You can't accuse me of something you know nothing about.
Your ilk is stupid. I'll laugh when these pampered fools are fired. Maybe you'll be one of them.

I see I struck a nerve, and rightfully so! LOL... You can do something with your life besides flip burgers, it's nobody's fault except your own.

Now you're making bad remarks about the people that are burger flippers. What is wrong with that? They make an honest living. At least they produce something. Those complainers yelling and screaming in WI are so wrong. They're just going to get themselves laid off.

There's nothing wrong with flipping burgers as an "entry" job. Just don't expect to paid like people who had to lay out thousands to further their education so they could educate those who want to stay in school.
So you make a blanket statement the people are wrong. Exactly why are these taxpayers so wrong? Because they spent thousands of dollars in college so they could land a good job? Because the job they agreed to included benefits?
Making a statement they are wrong, is not convincing they are. Just incase you don't know it.