OT wire sealing tape for vehicle

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:53:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon

First things first - good spark plug wires. You have the potential for 60,000 volts there - that voltage will leak theough anything that is not perfectly waterproof. New wires with silicone dialectric past in the coil boots and the plug boots (and distributor boots if it still has a distributer) 12 volt wires don't leak appreciably through insulation that is wet or dry. If they are going to short wet, they will short dry too. Low voltage (sensor) connections are working on 0-5 volts - so again, moisture won't short them. If anything, take the connectors apart and clean them. A bit of dialectric grease hear usually won't do any harm either and will keep moisture from getting in and corroding connections. Moisture on low voltage stuff is more likely to cause corrosion and open circuits than shorts. The new plugs we've been telling you to put in for the last 2 years will help too as the wide gap and rounded electrodes of worn plugs requires a lot higher voltage to jump the gap. A good sharp well gapped plug will hold your secondary voltage down around 45000 volts - a lot easier to keep in your wires. Also make sure the cap, if a distributor model, and / or the coil towers are prisinely clean..
Thes steps will make even a 6 volt chrysler flathead start with a water hose pointed at it.
On 10/9/2015 10:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Saturday. Went under van. I was tracing out a blue wire, Spirit said to look at the tan one. The tan wire had broken next to a crimp butt connector. I cut that out, and used a wire nut to put the wire back together. Try the key, van starts up nicely.
Several layers of Scotch 33 electric tape go over that. And some tie wraps.
Thanks to all who suggested sealing tape for the wiring harness.
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:20:29 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Wire nuts and common insulated crimp connectors are not good ways to patch wiring harnesses. A good solidly twisted inline connection (kinda like the old "western union" splice, soldered and sealed with a 2 inch sleave of heat shrink (possibly also sealed with dialectric grease) makes a connection that won't corrode and will withstand the moisture that is always a problem under the floormats of ald vehicles.
You want a good "gas-tite" connection.

On 10/10/2015 12:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

soldered and heat shrinked. In this case, I think the wire nut and tape are better than the butt crimp that I took out. The butt crimp lasted several years.] n" splice, soldered and sealed with

Center poasted, as your reply was. - . Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 8:20:28 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Gives ya a good feelin'..........being able to fix you own s**t
On 10/10/2015 1:02 PM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

The last time this one died, took a tow truck and nine days in the shop and a couple hundred bucks. Yes, it's a lot better than that.
And feels good, also.