OT wire sealing tape for vehicle

Saturday. Went under van. I was tracing out a blue wire, Spirit said to look at the tan one. The tan wire had broken next to a crimp butt connector. I cut that out, and used a wire nut to put the wire back together. Try the key, van starts up nicely.

Several layers of Scotch 33 electric tape go over that. And some tie wraps.

Thanks to all who suggested sealing tape for the wiring harness.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wire nuts and common insulated crimp connectors are not good ways to patch wiring harnesses. A good solidly twisted inline connection (kinda like the old "western union" splice, soldered and sealed with a 2 inch sleave of heat shrink (possibly also sealed with dialectric grease) makes a connection that won't corrode and will withstand the moisture that is always a problem under the floormats of ald vehicles.

You want a good "gas-tite" connection.

Reply to
clare

soldered and heat shrinked. In this case, I think the wire nut and tape are better than the butt crimp that I took out. The butt crimp lasted several years.] n" splice, soldered and sealed with

Center poasted, as your reply was.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gives ya a good feelin'..........being able to fix you own s**t

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy

The last time this one died, took a tow truck and nine days in the shop and a couple hundred bucks. Yes, it's a lot better than that.

And feels good, also.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My dad use one of the spray tips from what now would be called an Arizona Cool Mister. When it was dry and the engine ran right he would open the hood (lights off in the dark) and wave the fine spray around. Did not take long to fine the problem areas.

An aside he had a 63 VW and used parts off an old piper cub to install armored plugs and wires. Dammed thing could run almost submerged.

Reply to
NotMe