(OT) Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

Page 2 of 2
| I dislike the way that on 8 and later they try to make you use a | "Microsoft account", hiding the fact that you don't have to. |
Yes. Very sleazy. But there's been a similar discussion going on in the Win7 group and one of the MS MVPs says that Win10 will actually require an MS account, being redefined as a service rather than software.
On 01/27/2015 12:20 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Hi Mayayana,
1++++++++++ on the sleazy!
I have the Build 9926 preview release in a virtual machine. It is "Alpha" state at best.
When you get to the part where they ask you for your online account, you pick create a new account. On the screen with the new account stuff on it, you scroll down to the bottom and there is a small text link for creating a local account.
-T
| I have the Build 9926 preview release in a virtual machine. | It is "Alpha" state at best. | | When you get to the part where they ask you for your | online account, you pick create a new account. On | the screen with the new account stuff on it, you scroll down | to the bottom and there is a small text link for creating | a local account. | You mean that you can avoid the online account if you want to? I'm curious whether it will be obligatory, as reported, in the final product. That would be a radical change.
alt.home.repair:

I have the Win 10 preview installed, and UI have no MS account. You need it if you want to buy apps, but so far I haven't found it to be required for anything else yet.
On 01/27/2015 03:36 PM, Nil wrote:

When you first install Windows (8, 8.1, 10 TP), they make it look like you have to have a MS account. Many people will believe that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mayayana wrote:

We're playing around with the latest preview. If you want to activate Cortana it wants you to log into your M$ account. I'm sure there will be many more annoyances like that.

This is the 3rd post on this thread mentioning "Cortona". WHAT IS THAT?
I'll say this much, if Windows 10 requires a MS account, I wont be using it. Just the activation in XP is closer than I want to get to MS. As long as I paid for my software, it's not Microsoft's business who I am or what I do.
Then again, I've never used any MS operating system higher than XP, and dont have any intention to upgrade. I have no desire to use any of their bloated crap. I'm old enough I doubt I'll ever have to upgrade! I did briefly have a Vista computer. After a week of fighting with that piece of shit, I wiped the drive and installed XP.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Microsoft developed Siri envy so now they have a nice lady you can talk to. Her name is Cortana.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/get-know-cortana-windows-10/
She's been on Windows Phone for a while and got very, very lonely since only about 194 people use Windows Phones.
| Her name is Cortana. | She's been on Windows Phone
I thought it might take a generation to anthropomorphize talking gizmos. It's bad enough that so-called AI is considered "intelligence". People who know computers, of all people, should know there's zero intelligence in AI, or in computers, for that matter. There's merely a very complex abacus that's been cleverly applied to various tasks.
I know there are some pitiable souls like Ray Kurzweil who hope to download their consciousness onto an Intel product before they die. To me that's just an indication of how we haven't yet got over the wow factor of computerization. (Just as people once thought electricity, and later radioactivity, might have to magical power to cure all diseases.)
I'm wondering how long it will be before married men have to go into therapy due to preferring their inflatable doll to their wife, because the former says, "It's so big!" in a silky voice, with a choice of 4 different European accents, while the latter is prone to spoiling the moment with talk of taking out the rubbish. :)
Nil wrote:

Try Cortana.

Thanks for the warning - I want nothing to do with Cortana, and you reinforce that. Can I completely disable or remove it?
Nil wrote:

You can disable Cortana
If you can’t warm up to artificial intelligence, you can disable Cortana. Under Settings, turn her off. To remove all the data she collected about you, click Manage Cortana data underneath the on/off switch. This will open Settings > Privacy > Speech, inking & typing where you can Stop Cortana from getting to know you and Clear all the information she has stored about you so far.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/get-know-cortana-windows-10/