Cognitive dissonance.
--
Bobby G.

On 7/31/2015 9:28 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Here is your upside....Windows Media Center that a lot of people have spent countless hours on building their library.
Every person that is buying a new computer right now with Win10 might get stuck in the same boat I'm in with the Windows 8 computer that I bought.
Drivers could also be an issue for those upgrading from Win7 to Win10.
It could also be a problem for Windows 8.1 users.
On 7/30/2015 7:59 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Do you work for Micro$oft?
On 07/30/2015 06:52 PM, Ron wrote:

M$ would never have people trolling the blogs and forums. Would they?
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:53:02 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

No, but you sure sound like one of the paranoid, tin hat wearing Microsoft bashers.
On 07/30/2015 05:59 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Installed base. Unless there is an absolute stampede from 7 to 10, developers aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and lose a significant portion of the market.
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:00:36 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

Look idiot, you completely discredited yourself when you joined the other loon and posted this:
"M$ would never have people trolling the blogs and forums. Would they? "
You accuse me of being a troll for MSFT because I said it makes sense to do the FREE upgrade to Win 10 within a year while it's still FREE? Good grief. I'm obviously not a troll, but you're surely one of the true tin hat wearing loons that hates MSFT so much, that you can't think straight.
If you're afraid of the future, don't want to upgrade, do what you please. But don't come in here and lie and accuse me of working for MSFT. Good grief.
On 07/31/2015 07:38 AM, trader_4 wrote:

That's a legitimate question, asshole. If the shoe doesn't fit, shove it harder.
On 7/31/2015 9:38 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The other loon? He didn't "join" you.
On 07/30/2015 04:11 PM, Nil wrote:
[snip]

and "end of life" doesn't mean you can't still use it.
as to updates, most of them are for the browser. You can use Firefox which will likely be updated for 2 years or more.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
| > What is so awful about W7 or W8.1? They are all Windows. | | There is nothing wrong with 7.
It all depends a lot on how one uses Windows. For browsing and free webmail service there isn't much that one needs. If one can find the Internet Explorer icon then that's enough. If one doesn't mind being spied on by Microsoft, Google and a dozen advertising data researchers then Win7, Win8, whatever... it doesn't much matter. Win10 might be even better. It's locked down more and with its own AV, so security will be less of a concern.
For people who install a lot of software and like to control their system, there are a great many differences between versions. XP installs at about 1 GB. A disk image can fit on a CD. There are very few system restrictions. But there is Product Activation. With earlier versions of Windows one actually owned a copy of the software on disk and could install it at will. (It was still licensed for a single machine at one time, but one didn't need to get permission from Microsoft to install it.)
With Win7, a basic install takes up 7-9 GB and grows from there. Access restrictions are extreme. Under normal circumstances there is no such thing as a user with status to control the system. Microsoft is the Administrator. Microsoft claims the right to have the computer call home. Again, all of that doesn't much matter for people who have no idea what the file system is, who don't know where their files are, and who don't care about privacy. People who live by MS Word, Picasa, dropbox and various ad-supported services may never even notice that they're locked out of the Windows system. But for "power users" it's a pain in the neck. And there are numerous less noticeable issues: Since MS started refusing unsigned drivers it can be extremely difficult to get hardware installed in some cases. In the future look for more restrictions on software. Already, starting with Vista, software has been getting gradually pushed out of access to the system. In some ways that's good, but it's all part of a gradual trend toward locking you out.
Each version of Windows has generally been a further step toward locking out access and turning the product into a services device. With Win10 Microsoft has control over what the system will be. Not only will they install updates without asking (some updates cause big problems for some people) but they may also decide to change the interface, install software you don't want, etc. It's Windows services now. Expect ads. (By default there are already ads on the Start Menu, masquerading as "suggestions".) There are also indications that MS may start charging monthly fees once they've got a large number of people settled in Win10:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/10/free-windows-10-charges/
None of those thing are necessarily bad for everyone. People who shop online and use freebie services may find later versions of Windows more user-friendly. That's the lesson that Apple learned: The more restricted the system is, the more stable it will appear to be and the more usable to the general public. But if you like to open the hood, so to speak, then the progression of Windows over the past few years reveals a discouraging and insidious trend.
On 7/30/2015 9:49 AM, Mayayana wrote:

It's own AV (Windows Defender) which is also part of Windows 8/8.1, is nothing more than a baseline AV program.
Even Microsoft recommends using a 3rd party AV program.
<http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/
Take a look at Windows Defender's test results here (just scroll to the bottom lol).
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
On 7/30/2015 12:09 AM, rbowman wrote:

I have win7 on my desktop, and I really like it. On my laptop is XP, and I like that, too. One bummer was when Microsoft stopped supporting XP, but it still works as it is. I'm trying to figure out if there's any benefits of upgrading to anything else aside from it being a newer version of windows.
--
Maggie

MS had almost 15 years to get XP all worked out. All my computers have XP except a couple of old slow ones that I have to use DOS or WFWG on to program up some old radio gear. I don't want the operating system to do anything for me except get the programs I want to use up and running. I don't think I use anything from the operating system but the email.
On 7/30/2015 2:54 PM, Muggles wrote:

If W7 and XP work, no really good reason to change that I've seen so far.
On 7/30/2015 3:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you do not mind that your ass is hanging in the breeze when some new vulnerability comes along. Taking XP online these days is suicide, Win7 is good for a couple more years.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:04:29 -0400, FrozenNorth

More hyperbole than fact. Anyone who actually trusted Microsoft to keep them safe deserves what they get. You need 3d party firewalls and virus software. Most infections are still self inflicted wounds, simply running software that is hidden in Email attachments.

I prefer to use antivirus software :)

Yup. I prefer Kaspersky for AV. Who better to defeat Russian hackers than a Russian AV company?
There are several excellent free AV solutions also.

With about 15 years for MS to plug up the holes in XP , how many do yo think are going to be in W7 - W10 that have not been pluggedup yet ?
I use XP online and a virus checker other than anything from MS.