OT Windows 10

Page 7 of 11
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 02:19:29 -0500, Vic Smith

That has good and bad sides to is. Going back to DOS and early Widows, if you worked on ten computers, there would be ten variations of updates or changes. Every program you bought has some tweak to it that made it "better" than original Windows and ended up causing crashes or other incompatibilities. Play this game and then reboot because it did something to the video or the like. Our accounting program must be exited by their menu, not the corner X or ALT F6. With mandatory updates, everyone should be closer to having the same core program and hopefully, less overall problems. That remains to be seen.
On 08/01/2015 08:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Back in the day, I bought an Osborne I portable, all 23 pounds of it. As a contractor I was working in the client's shop and got real tired of adapting to whatever lashup they had. CP/M wasn't the be all and end all but at least when I opened up the box I had the tools and OS I was familiar with and wasn't wasting the client's money with OJT.
Historically I wasn't very happy with IBM pushing out the 8088 stopgap that brought us to where we are today rather than the Zilog or Motorola offerings but at least they had the clout to swing the market to one system. (neglecting the Apple Corps of course)
| >| Which makes it the same as Win 7 as far as the internet is concerned. | >| Nowhere does it call it "spyware." | > | > Suit yourself. It is true that Microsoft doesn't | >call Win10 spyware. So I guess that settles that. :) | > | | Yep. Do you think they're illegally "spying" on users? |
You're twisting words. First you said the terms never mention spyware. Of course they don't! That's deceptive phrasing. Now you insert the qualifier "illegally". In Eurpoe it's probably illegal. In the US it almost certainly isn't. Privacy laws are now years behind the technology and it's unclear if or when they'll catch up. Google claims the right to rifle through your email and save copies after you've deleted them. Microsoft is now making the same claims, not only for their webmail but also for Windows. *They're conflating the terms for the two products.*
You either don't care about that or you don't want to know. I do care. It's spyware. They have no right by the laws of common decency. Whether they're acting legally according to the laws of our current American corporatocracy is not my basis for assessing Win10.
| You couldn't even view a photo somebody posted to a public site, | and I should listen to you? |
You weren't paying attention. I couldn't view the photo probably because I don't have script enabled and the poster didn't know how to post the image so that it could be easily viewed. You're using IE11 with script enabled. I pointed out that's highly risky. You don't want to know.
We both ended up seeing the picture, but I didn't risk security to do it.

Need to glue the mike hole shut too. Those sounds can give away what you're doing while looking at them nekid women... ;-)

You have to agree to allow MS to collect "some" data before you can use Cortana. I haven't done so. May not have actually "disabled" it, but I'll look into it as I tweak my system.
| >> disabled Cortana. | > | >Now, ask Cortana the weather - does it respond? | | You have to agree to allow MS to collect "some" data | before you can use Cortana. I haven't done so. | May not have actually "disabled" it, but I'll look into it as I tweak | my system.
Who would care about that, anyway? You can enable Cortana, ask the weather, and she'll probably say, "It's going to be a nice day, Vic. You should go to the beach! Do you want a coupon for 10% off sunscreen at the CVS 2 blocks from where you are now?" Or if you really want to know the weather you can get the real thing:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/city-state.shtml
I'm continually surprised by how many people are still wowed by the latest gadgets, like children entranced by George Jetson. Siri and Cortana serve no relevant purpose aside from feeding futuristic fantasies and providing party conversation. Yet people persist in dreaming that some amazing, Edenic future is just around the corner. Maybe if they come out with a "space age" Cortana full size sex toy with "high tech silicone" organs, I might be curious to take it for a spin. On the other hand, I can't quite see Bill Gates and Satya Nadella having the right touch for such a product. :) Aside from that, in general I prefer that my computer not talk to me.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 09:13:17 -0400, "Mayayana"

My car is capable of voice commands and I do use it while driving for a few things. It works, it makes sense. It allows me to keep eyes on traffic.
I don't want to sit at my desk and talk to the machine. Or in an airport with a laptop. Or any other circumstance. I can type and click a mouse button, thank you.
Keep me posted about the Beta test on toys though. I may volunteer to help, in the name of science.
| > Maybe if they come out with a "space age" | >Cortana full size sex toy with "high tech silicone" | >organs, I might be curious to take it for a spin. | >On the other hand, I can't quite see Bill Gates and | >Satya Nadella having the right touch for such a | >product. :) Aside from that, in general I prefer that | >my computer not talk to me. | > | | Keep me posted about the Beta test on toys though. I may volunteer to | help, in the name of science.
Will do. Normally I wouldn't even consider testing Microsoft's products without getting paid for it. But in this case.... the beta test might even be more fun than the final product. :)

Mine too. But that damn lady doesn't understand me half the time so I end up using the car controls anyway. But she never seems to be annoyed when I cuss her out.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 09:13:17 -0400, "Mayayana"

Jesus H. Christ, you should shut up before you dig yourself deeper. I don't hear any voices from Win 10, and I never used Cortana. But I don't begrudge those that do. It's entirely up to them.
| Jesus H. Christ, you should shut up before you dig yourself deeper. | I don't hear any voices from Win 10, and I never used Cortana.
I know that. I was posting in support of your position.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 09:13:17 -0400, "Mayayana"

I was impressed when my grandkid in the backseat asked Siri directions to someplace I couldn't find and then told me how to get there. I was also impressed that a 12 year old has a $650 phone.
On 08/01/2015 12:18 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

Where's the kid live? I need an upgrade from my $21 LG flipper that doesn't do much of anything except make phone calls.
I'm not a Luddite but I've noticed if i go to a concert or something half the people are dicking with their phone.

My Android smartphone (which is $300 cheaper than the grandkids iPhone) will also give directions. I just can't talk to it so it's not as useful to input questions when driving.

Yup. Smartphones are everywhere these days. At a recent graduation I counted 15 or so lit screens, and those were just the ones in front of me. Oh...and mine too. Graduations are so boring...
On 8/2/2015 2:25 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:

If you have AT&T as your carrier you can get an iPhone for $100 with a 2 year commitment plan. No biggie for me since I've been with "AT&T" since around 1998 (Bellsouth, Cingular, AT&T mergers).

Many carriers have subsidized phone plans like that. Even though you think that iPhone only cost $100 you are still paying near full price (or more) in inflated service costs over those 2 years. That's why you have to pay big $$$$ to break the contract early.
I too am on a subsidized phone plan. My list price $350 Kyocera phone was "free" with a 2 year Verizon contract. But we all know it really wasn't free, don't we.
Kinda sounds like the W10 "free" upgrade thing, huh. We know there's likely a catch somewhere but unlike the phone companies we just haven't figured out where yet.
On 8/2/2015 3:59 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:

Unless something has changed with AT&T, I got my iPhone 4s about 2 1/2 years ago and my bill hasn't changed since day one. Before that I upgraded my phones for free and my bill was always the same.

Which is why you should get a new phone every two years if you are on a 2 year contract plan. Because even if you don't you are still paying the subsidy.
Verizon now has a plan where you own your own phone and the service is $10 to $25 dollars cheaper depending on your data plan. I did the math and the subsidy plan was a cheaper plan for me. YMMV. Also you should be sure you want to stay two years. For me Verizon has the best coverage so it was a no brainer.
On Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 1:32:17 PM UTC-4, J0HNS0N wrote:

Except that in my experience, the carrier only gives you about $100 or so towards the cost of a new phone, not the full price.

Verizon was my carrier and all they gave me towards a new phone was $100 every two years. Then, because I was on one of their lower plans, they reduced that to $50. Now I'm on Virgin Mobile with their prepaid plan. At the time I went over, V was still a lot more expensive. Now, most of the carriers have a prepaid plan for ~$35 a month, which includes unlimited V/T, and ~500MB of data. I agree, most people would be better off buying a phone and going with one of those plans. You can find all kinds of phones on Ebay at good prices. Also carriers typically have some refurbished ones, including new models, at decent prices.
On 8/3/2015 7:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Well, that is *your* experience. And you are talking about Verizon, not At&T. I paid $100 for my iPhone 4s plus the $18 upgrade fee. Before that I got a Samsung Sunburst for free and there should have been an $18 upgrade fee but AT&T screwed up and didn't charge me the $18.
I just checked and I can get an iPhone 5s for $99.99 plus the upgrade fee which has been increased to $45. iPhone 6 $199 plus upgrade fee. iPhone 6 Plus $299.99 plus the $45 upgrade fee.
Here is a screen shot for the iPhone 5s for $99.99.
http://i59.tinypic.com/13yjtb9.jpg