OT Windows 10

Page 6 of 11
On 8/1/2015 1:06 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Note the article, there is anoption to keep settings, I am a savvy user, and do not blindly click next all the way through an install/upgrade.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 8/1/2015 1:11 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Exactly! Always read the fine print!
On 07/31/2015 11:11 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

You can also opt out of most of the information MS wants to collect about your use of the machine. Savvy users will. The other 97% of the home users won't.
On 7/31/2015 10:55 PM, rbowman wrote:

Got a link to a tutorial on the subject? Not hard to find snippets on the web, but it would be nice to see a compilation in one spot. I anxiously await the utility that turns off all that crap in one click...and thwarts the updates.
| Quit spreading | >> FUD. | > | > <http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-upgrade-resets-your-default-browser-to-edge-mozilla-is-very-unhappy/ | > | > | I read that earlier, all I can say is that it did not happen to me. |
There was a discussion about this on Slashdot. It seems that if you pick "custom install" you get to pick your options. Otherwise MS switches them. This is the oldest trick in the book when it comes to software. It's like putting settings behind a button marked "Advanced". (Which is how MS prevents nearly all IE users from blocking 3rd-party cookies, which by definition are spyware.) The settings options are there... for geeks and tweakers... but the vast majority of people will never know. So for all practical purposes Microsoft is switching people to Edge.
There are often strong feelings on both sides with issues like this, but I think "spreading FUD" would be difficult with Windows 10. It *is* a radically different system. The privacy policy lays claim to everything you do. They intend to show ads and push you to buy their services. People can say, "Oh, but I stopped the spyware and disabled Cortana along with all the other services." That might work. As long as they stay offline they might have privacy while still having functional Windows. (Though the new privacy policy explicitly says you can't stop Win10 calling home.) But for the vast majority of people there's a lot of information about this version of Windows that they *should* know about.
On 07/31/2015 09:29 AM, trader_4 wrote:

http://betanews.com/2015/07/31/the-real-price-of-windows-10-is-your-privacy/
TANSTAAFL
On 7/31/2015 11:25 AM, Sam E wrote:

It did install a coin slot where I had a drive. Now I have to insert a quarter every half hour to continue using it.
Perhaps you can explain better what you said. I've not paid a penny yet and have not found any disadvantages over 8.1.
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:55:32 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks for confirming what I've seen from several other reviews so far. Sure are a lot of tin hat wearing MSFT bashers. If they charged for it, of course then they would be bitching about *that*.
| > Do you really think MS is just going to give an OS away for free and not | > get anything out of it? Maybe it's just to build a huge farm of lab | > rats. The Enterprise edition is not a free upgrade and enterprises are | > where the real money is. The insider program was the explicit beta | > testers; now they've moved to the not so explicit beta tests. | | | I've read articles that have speculated that after the one year free | upgrade that you would have to pay a fee to continue to receive security | updates. It seems farfetched, but who knows. |
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/10/free-windows-10-charges/
It's free for "the supported life of a device". But that's just something Microsoft made up. They support software, not devices. And that time span varies from 2-4 years. So basically they're saying it's free until it isn't. And they've told their investors they expect to recoup the losses in 3 years. Whether that's through subscriptions or projected services income is not clear.
Apple no longer charges for OS updates, but they also charge through the nose for devices and make over $1B/year on their iTunes racket alone. Not to mention their grossly overpriced phones made by slave labor in China, from which Apple also takes a 30% cut of all apps sales. And Apple customers are well known to be suckers who happily wait in line to pay at least full retail for stuff they don't need.
Microsoft doesn't have any of those options. They've been *trying* to copy Apple. They bought Nokia thinking they'd have a ready-made phone business. They made Metro to cash in on apps. They opened the Microsoft Store to go with that. But Microsoft is not Apple. They have no talent for products. They have great talent in writing software and they especially have talent for milking monopolies, which has historically been their only source of profits. (Windows and Office have been consistently the only businesses in the black. And they achieved that by ruthless monopoly maintenance.)
Also, as rbowman put so clearly and has been pointed out by various journalists, Microsoft make surprisingly little from Windows on PCs compared to corporate licenses. The number of people who actually buy upgrades is far smaller still. When Win95 came out people waited in line for it. Recent versions of Windows have had no credible update advantage. And PCs are relatively cheap. So people just get whatever Windows is on the PC they buy. Thus, MS can afford to experiment and try to get an "apps" and services business going. However it works out, they probably won't lose anywhere near what they're losing on search, phones and all their other failed branch businesses.
Full disclosure: I also write software. I love Windows. I think of Macs as a kiddie car with the hood welded shut. Apple is the AOL of the 21st century. I think of Linux as a do-it-yourself car kit with a few pieces missing. Interesting, but not nearly as rich and usable as Windows. (And life is just too short for typing in console windows. :)
Microsoft has made a very workable and flexible tool in the past, precisely because they've been catering to corporate customers. Microsoft has also bent over backward to maintain backward compatibility. Again because they need to support corporate customers. I can write software that runs on Win98 to Win10 with no extra support files needed. Linux "distros" go out of date every 6 months. Apple is the king of forced obsolescence. Only Microsoft supports their older products.
But MS have also shown themselves, time and again, to be sleazy and untrustworthy. And their Windows product is simply going downhill. I wish it weren't. I'd love to love the recent versions of Windows. But I can't. Frankly I think Microsoft is probably less sleazy than Google, Facebook, Adobe and certainly Apple. But I don't really use the products of those companies, so I don't criticize them as much. (And there's no sense arguing with an AppleSeed. One might just as well discuss salvation with a Jehovah's Witness or a Mormon. :)
On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 8:36:23 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

Another tin hat MSFT basher.

Do you really, really, think MSFT is going to start charging Ed a fee to use Win10 that he just installed, 4 years from now? We should all forgo a free upgrade, just on some purely and highly speculative nonsense that you claim might happen? And if it does, it's going to happen anyway, because OS's don't last forever.
And they've told their investors they expect to

And an Apple basher too. Are you related to Ralph Nader? Bernie Sanders perhaps?
| Tell that to the Windows Media Center CableCARD users who have been kicked to the curb by Windows 10. | FWIW, Windows Media Center and Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime make an awesome whole-home DVR system. | | Oh well, I've got until Jan 2020 to find a replacement.
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Windows Media Center. I didn't realize they were leaving you in the lurch. I was just talking about the support for existing software. Microsoft does a lot to maintain the "API" functions that software uses because corporate customers tend to build custom software. If a new version of Windows breaks that software then the corporate customers won't buy it and Microsoft loses their biggest cash source.
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:44:28 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:

A good example is browser support. Internet explorer 8 was the last that would run on XP. IE 11 is the last version for Win 7. So, if you stuck with XP while they still had limited security updates for it, you had an old browser and as time moved on, more and more websites would not work with it. I saw exactly that happen on an older notebook that I still occasionally used with XP on it. If you move from Win 7 to 10 for free, you're on a fully supported OS in year one of it's lifecycle. That sounds like a good thing to me.
Now, I'm sure you'll tell me that I could go and get Firefox, ie change the application, etc, but it proves the point that there is a lot more going on than just security fixes and that it does matter.

Irrelevant. If you want to stay with an OS that's no longer fully supported instead of switching to the free new one, that's your choice. But don't tell us that there is no downside to sticking with Win 7, that's entered it's final phase.

Now you're just being completely silly.

I think you don't understand how the industry works.

Because you don't know what software you might want to use at some point won't work on Win 7, but will on Win 10. Look at the simple example of Windows Explorer I outlined.

Again you're being silly. To think that new software targeted for Windows PCs won't run on Win 10 is absurd.

And again, in the case of Win 10, for the next year I can upgrade for FREE. After that, it's going to cost a substantial amount of money. And again, what you just outlined above is exactly the uncertainty that you deny exists.

Wrong. It included improvements to the product. See the simple example of Windows Explorer.
The idea that you must have

You've got it totally wrong. One more time, the upgrade is FREE for the next year.
I think I know enough about computers, Microsoft Windows, and

You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Just the facts.
On 07/31/2015 07:28 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Friends don't let friends use IE for anything other than Windows Update. If you want to upgrade to 10 because it's FREE, have at it. I'm sure it will be a usable OS once they've fixed the bugs. Traditionally every other Windows release sucks so maybe they'll keep to the same pattern.
| > A good example is browser support. Internet explorer 8 was the last | > that would run on XP. IE 11 is the last version for Win 7. So, if | > you stuck with XP while they still had limited security updates for it, | | Friends don't let friends use IE for anything other than Windows Update.
I think his view is actually very common. Outside of the tech world there's a popular conception that getting updates=safe and not getting updates means you'll have cancer or an STD by the end of the week. I imagine there are millions of people out there right now who are just tickled that they're going to get the new shiny version FOR FREE!! They're not interested in knowing or understanding any more than that. They use default settings for everything, thank you very much. They use IE because it's there. And they won't opt out of any of the extensive Win10 spyware. They won't even know it's there.
For anyone who cares at all about any degree of online privacy, the brand new Win10 privacy terms should be read before proceeding. Microsoft is "going Google" in a big way:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:03:08 -0400, "Mayayana"

I'm running Windows 10 now. I can restore Win7 or Win8.1 images in 5 minutes if need be. I turned the "spyware" off, and disabled Cortana. Same with Bing and Edge. Using IE11, as I have since it was released. It looks pretty much the same as Win7. Win7-8 won't support DX12. Doesn't matter now, but it will in the future.
On 7/31/2015 11:45 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Why not Edge? Seems to be similar to Chrome.

Haven't looked at Edge, but all sites I log into work fine with IE11. I won't change for change's sake. Need a reason.
On 7/31/2015 1:35 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

It is supposed to be faster and more secure, but I can't verify that from experience. I use Chrome on a couple of computers and like it slightly better than IE11 because it works with searches and Calendar functions between my phone and wife's phone. I can see her appointments and she can see mine.
On 07/31/2015 11:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://betanews.com/2015/07/30/microsoft-edge-introduces-new-security-risks-in-windows-10/
There are potential problems. I'm sure they will be addressed as soon as they surface. Hopefully the bad guys won't figure out the exploits first.
| I'm running Windows 10 now. I can restore Win7 or Win8.1 images in 5 | minutes if need be. | I turned the "spyware" off,
It states clearly in the terms that you can't turn off all the spyware. It's simply not your system anymore.
| Win7-8 won't support DX12. Doesn't matter now, but it will in the | future.
To who? Gamers? They always want the latest, but for most people who use computers for practical reason, DirectX is neither here nor there.