OT Windows 10

Page 4 of 11
alt.home.repair:

True, the charms won't be missed. I *can* trigger them... unfortunately, it's usually when I don't want to see them.
But for me, Windows 8.1 + Classic Shell is just about as usable as Windows 7, and Windows 10 offers no advantage over either.
On 07/29/2015 11:19 PM, Nil wrote:

I'd be the same if I'd ever had to go to 8.1. Put a decent shell in place and move on. I did buy a new desktop system this spring but the Dell had 7. It was a no-brainer to buy a leftover 7 rather than the same hardware with 8.
The only interesting thing I've heard about 10 so far is the ability to have multiple desktops. I've used third party add-ons in the past and it wasn't the smoothest experience. Maybe MS got it right. My primary machines a Linux and I have 4 desktops at home, 8 at work. I work on several different projects at once and having each in its own desktop beats pawing through multiple cmd icons and editor icons to find the right combination.
On 07/30/2015 09:02 AM, rbowman wrote:
[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 07/30/2015 09:02 AM, rbowman wrote:
[snip]

I always do my own OS install. No junk the manufacturer puts on with it.

I frequently use multiple desktops on Linux (other than on a laptop with a hyperactive touchpad that keeps switching desktops randomly).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 07/30/2015 10:06 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The Dell was pretty clean and didn't have much beyond the OEM installation. It didn't really matter since I went dual boot with OpenSUSE. uptime reports 132 days so it's been at least that long before 7 saw the light of day on this box.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 01:19:03 -0400, Nil

On 30 Jul 2015, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in alt.home.repair:

Windows 7 support will be ongoing until at least 2020. There's absolutely no reason to abandon it for that reason at this time.
On 07/29/2015 07:37 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

There is nothing wrong with 7. The UI for 8.1 was too mobile oriented. I have 7 on my work and home windows boxes and have no plans to go to 10 unless a truly compelling reason comes up. If I had 8.1, I'd definitely upgrade. 10 still has annoyances for someone used to the traditional desktop but it's a little better. It still suffers from trying to be both a desktop and a mobile OS at the same time.
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 1:08:51 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like for the vast majority of those of us using Win 7, we'll kind of have to upgrade to 10 within the next year, unless something changes. Win 10 is free for us only for the next year. After that, unless something changes, you're stuck with Win 7 and an uncertain future, ie how long they will support it, updates, etc. With 10, you're on the latest, going to be fully supported longer, etc. My plan is to probably do nothing until next year.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 02:24:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

W7 works and will for some time. By the time you must upgrade, chances are you'll be needing a new computer.
Worst case is you'd have to pay $100. I think you can download it and not install until later, but I don't know if you can wait months to install it. In other words, DL it at the end of the year and wait as long as you can to do the install.

NOW.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 02:24:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Nobody ever gave me a compelling reason to abandon XP and I still have a couple W98 machines.
On 07/30/2015 8:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

And an NT4 laptop... :)
(altho no W98 left, there is still a bootable OS/2 Warp partition, too; some utility power plant performance monitoring systems we developed are still actually running 24/7 so must maintain this until the utility finally decides to change platforms for those...)
It's apparently amazing to some that the bits don't change; only the marketing ploys to sell product to keep the vendor revenue stream flowing.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I could never get my copy of W98 to load ... I did get 2K to load and run , but it's just not quite as functional as XP . Every comp here (5 at the moment) is running XP pro , and I don't plan to change that .
--
Snag

[snip]

New software may not install on XP, but I see no reason not to keep using it for existing software that still works.
I'll probably stop using it on the web, when they stop updating Firefox. That's no reason to stop using it for DVD authoring.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
[snip]

Windows 2000 is much more stable than the DOS-based versions, and XP works better with high-speed internet. After that, I saw little if any improvement. Mainly, they (later Windows) made it harder to find and use stuff I use regularly.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

That's been SOP since Windows 3.1. Move/rename old functions, add enough bloat/bling to require new hardware , tell users it's new and improved!
nb
On 07/30/2015 09:55 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

It always did piss me off when they renamed the exact same functionality to something different and moved it. I guess the old 'Add and Remove Programs' (Programs and Features) functionality can be found in Settings, Control Panel, Explorer, PowerShell, Start Menu, and in an Administrator command prompt with wmic.
I've found wmic is the most trustworthy was to drive a spike through an app, particularly a botched SQL Server uninstall.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:16:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

purchased for, no problem. I know of DOS machines still in use as machine controllers - - - .
On 30 Jul 2015, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I've found plenty of reasons to abandon XP, namely a growing list of programs that will only run on Windows 7 or later. My main computer is still running XP, but I'm working on building my next computer, which will run Windows 7. ETA is a few weeks from now.
That's always been my cue to upgrade: when it becomes difficult, inconvenient, or impossible for it to do something I want it to do. That time has finally come for me.