OT Windows 10

Page 1 of 11
I was able to upgrade a laptop today to Windows 10.
If you have W8 or 8.1, do not hesitate. It is so much better, more like the W7 interface. I've not used it enough yet to say it is better that W7, but it is far superior to 8

From what I can tell 7 is the last "desktop" OS and after that MS is migrating to mobile users.
For my purposes XP works just fine and I am not really a fan of the security BS microsoft added to 7. If your network is an unsecured WiFi, it may be a good thing but my network is hard wired., If someone gets in my house and plugs into my network, stealing my vacation pictures and bootleg music will be the least of my worries.

I think I would clone my 7 drive to a spare drive (or make an image) and then let MS install 10. If you hate it you can just swap back and be where you were before you started the 10 install
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 1:22:47 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

official notice to download yet.
On 7/29/2015 5:02 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

until it is ready to install.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 7/29/2015 5:02 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

It popped up when I just logged in. I'm holding off a while to make sure they get any big bugs out.

How much space does W10 take compared to W8.1? I only have 32GB of storage on this tablet (Asus T100) and space is precious. I also wonder about legacy programs. I've been using this newsreader for 13 years now and I'm getting fond of it.
Can you go back if things don't work out? I recently upgraded a Nexus 7 tablet to the latest Android version and it slowed it to a crawl. I can't go back without rooting it and rooting brings security problems so I'm SOL on that device. I don't want to be that way on this one too.

Thanks but I've seen the specs. I was just wondering what the real life install size was. I thought the OP might be able to tell me. But this is a 32-bit system and likely the OP has a 64-bit system so on second thought guess that won't help. I've got the white Windows 10 icon in my taskbar so apparently MS thinks I can run it. Think I'll wait awhile though. Again thanks for your effort.
On 7/30/2015 8:18 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

I think that icon will take you to a link that will check your system to see if it is compatible. If you run W7 you most likely can run W10 unless your hard drive is about full.

The taskbar W10 icon played me a W10 intro ad and then gave me a button to reserve a copy.

Currently I have around 6GB free of 32GB total.
Would MS give me a W10 reserve button without checking? I have a HP laptop with way more specs than this tablet and still no W10 icon on it. So I guess I don't understand all I know about that.
My biggest concern is running my legacy software so I'll wait awhile and let other people with this machine do the testing for me.
On 7/31/2015 5:46 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

These updates have to be installed to get the Win10 icon.
For Windows 7 SP1:
KB3035583
KB2952664
For Windows 8.1 Update:
KB3035583
KB2976978
On 7/31/2015 5:46 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

Look on the left side for a menu that has the compatibility test.

It depends on how you have updates setup. None of our work computers have the icon but it is a different version of W7 than at home.
Can't speak for the software though, this machine has nothing exotic on it.
On 07/31/2015 07:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You don't get the icon on 7 Pro. There are a few scripts and registry hacks that turn it on. The general idea is if you're on a LAN the IT people will push it out when they want to and not let old Mary Diddleworth upgrade her box by pushing buttons she doesn't understand.
When the icon started to appear we advised our clients 'DON'T or you're on your own.' So far our product seems to run but we also require third party packages like DB2, ESRI, and others so we won't certify 10 until all those ducks are lined up too.
On 07/31/2015 03:46 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

Home or Professional? You don't get the icon on Pro unless you do a little registry hacking.

All my W8.1 devices are Home and stock (no hacks) and up to date. This Asus T100 tablet is the only one that the W10 icon has shown up on the taskbar (so far). My HP Stream 7 tablet nada and my HP Pavilion x360 nada. Since the tablets are stunted in power I was surprised the icon showed up on one of them and not on the laptop with it having more power, RAM, and 15 times the storage.
On 8/1/2015 2:45 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:

Again, I have no clue about tablets, but a computer must have these updates installed to get the icon. Ram, storage, power, means nothing. Have you checked your laptop to make SURE you have the following updates? You can also DL the Win 10 ISO from here <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 For Windows 7 SP1:
KB3035583
KB2952664
For Windows 8.1 Update:
KB3035583
KB2976978

Thanks but I'm in no hurry to get W10. In fact I'm just a tiny bit annoyed that I can't seem to remove the W10 icon from the taskbar. But not enough to do any hacks that can always screw other things up.

Yup. Both those are on this tablet (Asus T100) but not the others. Yet all report updates being up to date. Maybe it will show up later.
Though all are W8.1 there are OS differences between the three. One big one (IMO) is that this T100 has full device encryption and the others don't. Since I take this on my travels that is a good thing to have. I wonder if it will stay in the W10 upgrade. Also wonder about my legacy programs. Waiting to let others with this device test those questions may be wise...
On 8/1/2015 2:18 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

To get rid of the icon remove KB3035583 from add/remove programs. Make sure it is set to "show updates".
On 8/1/2015 2:22 PM, Ron wrote:

I did that and it was back a week later.
On 8/1/2015 4:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I didn't say it wouldn't be offered again. If it is and someone doesn't plan to upgrade you just hide the update and don't install it.