OT Will search engines find my webpage?

Only a domain needs to be registered.

DNS points to the domain and google crawls everthing it can find at that location.

Reply to
George

Agree that it is a trend that we are not allowed to have privacy. It doesn't mean I need to go along with it or patronize a business that violates personal privacy.

Reply to
George

Likely some facebook/twitter devotee who thinks everyone's bowel movements, cereal choice and activities by the second should be publicized made the decision to have the program. I would make noise until I got as high up on the food chain as I could.

There are various sites where you can post your experiences with businesses.

Reply to
George

If you didn't authorize the web page I would go to his showroom and demand, not ask, that it be taken down now! Again, do it in the showroom - loudly.

In answer to your main question: Yes - the web browsers will probably catch up with it but it might take a month or more. Browsers collect information from "spiders" which are systematic queries that crawl the internet and collect information from web sites. The main source they query is in header material that is invisible to the surfer, but provides pertinent informant about the site. This is the area that developers populate with the important information, key words and phrases that they want the browsers to see. Well populated headers tend to move a page up, in ranking, with browsers.

But - body information, like your name and personal information can very well show up too. We set up a couple of pages for our local community a year or two ago. One has very well populated header information. It took about 3-4 weeks before information started showing up through browsing; but then, over a period of about another month we became very easy to find. In fact, our museum site pops to the top of Google if you enter the first two words. But other words and terms, not included in the headers, also pop up with casual browsing.

If these turkeys did this without your permission, they have violated your privacy.

Do you know what you signed when you made the purchase?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Nope, just the 'servicemyFord.us' part is a registered domain.

There is a DNS entry for 'servicemyford.us', and any subdomain will be located at the same IP. Think of it as an internel folder called MickyMouse that is on the servicemyford.us machine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It is at the top!!!!

Google also like to rank pages according to how many other pages link to it. It has high priority. Of course, funding also sets priority.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A good point. I do know about those pages.

In reply to your other post, the high level domain which is the part with my name has to be registered, if I understood you correctly, and that means for sure that search engines will read the new names on the registration list and find this page eventually, right?

Reply to
micky

Even I don't remember that.

I have worse to say about them.

Darn.

OTOH, Facebook has been talking about how careful they are to make members use real names. What ARE they talking about? I used a phoney name and they have to no way to tell.

Reply to
micky

Yes, I have copies of everything I signed. I read it all 6 months ago. I've forgotten what it said, but it was straightforward. if it covered anything like this, I would have noticed and remembered.

I actually signed something where I agreed to sign other things later if they failed to have me sign everything. But I never signed anything later.

I think they didnt' seek permission because they don't know why anyone would object. It's a very big dealership, something like 40 bays in the service dept., but I think they are small-town boys, far from a big city.

Maybe some customers are so ego-starved that they actually feel good when they see their name on a webpage.

(My 1995 car blew its head gasket on the road, so I rented a car, had the old car checked and the repair cost verified, and then bought another car where I was. It took 6 days, Friday afternoon to Thursday morning.)

Reply to
micky

Mine was 19 - 20 - 1 My first bike lock was 11 - 5 - 2

Don't ask me what I had for lunch though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot** that the ad they mailed me contained the password for the webpage, so IIUC that means even if google comes up with the webpage, it wlll still require a password, which no one else will have.

I hope you all don't feel I wasted too much of your time.

**I only used the password once, then kept looking back at the page for 3 days. I don't think I would have forgotten about the password 10 years ago.
Reply to
micky