OT Will search engines find my webpage?

Page 2 of 2
On 1/27/2012 8:58 AM, micky wrote:

here is the html language used in my site for "KEYWORD"

I don't know about all search engines but google ignores 'KEYWORDS' due to their over use. This link mentions the tags they do look at:
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answery812
---john.
On 1/27/2012 6:12 PM, John Haskey wrote:

You noticed "meta names"? :)
My site has been dormate and not coming up as easily anymore. That's okay with me though. I can't handle a lot of business.
micky wrote:

Oh, they'll find it. Google, for instance, has thousands of machines that crawl the web looking for you. Soon, everyone will be able to find you. Dozens of people will come to your house, not all for innocent purposes.
I'd go to the dealership, begin the conversation with "WTF...!!" and fuss like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

And it's so stupid, too, because I know where I live.
It's mostly there, I think, as the heading, the value they entered for the google map directions list, which is also unneeded, because if I went there to buy the car, I know how to go there again.
Thanks, and thanks everyone for the help.
So, question for everyone: Say they take it off today. Has the wayback machine, archive.net I think it is, been crawling the web and found it too, so even if the car dealer takes it off, will it still be there? And more importantly, will it be googleable???
It's not there yet.
(I shoudl have called the car place without waiting to talk to you guys. BTW, there seem to be only 12 people in the country with my first and last name. The car dealer isn't using my middle initial. )

If you use your middle initial, there is only one other. I checked out what Google has on you. I was not surprised to see your family, the car you have , and a link to Zillow about your house. What surprised me is the older information like the combination to your high school locker. Oh, and a few comments from your neighbors. Amazing the detail they have.

Even I don't remember that.

I have worse to say about them.

Darn.
OTOH, Facebook has been talking about how careful they are to make members use real names. What ARE they talking about? I used a phoney name and they have to no way to tell.

Mine was 19 - 20 - 1 My first bike lock was 11 - 5 - 2
Don't ask me what I had for lunch though.

If you didn't authorize the web page I would go to his showroom and demand, not ask, that it be taken down now! Again, do it in the showroom - loudly.
In answer to your main question: Yes - the web browsers will probably catch up with it but it might take a month or more. Browsers collect information from "spiders" which are systematic queries that crawl the internet and collect information from web sites. The main source they query is in header material that is invisible to the surfer, but provides pertinent informant about the site. This is the area that developers populate with the important information, key words and phrases that they want the browsers to see. Well populated headers tend to move a page up, in ranking, with browsers.
But - body information, like your name and personal information can very well show up too. We set up a couple of pages for our local community a year or two ago. One has very well populated header information. It took about 3-4 weeks before information started showing up through browsing; but then, over a period of about another month we became very easy to find. In fact, our museum site pops to the top of Google if you enter the first two words. But other words and terms, not included in the headers, also pop up with casual browsing.
If these turkeys did this without your permission, they have violated your privacy.
Do you know what you signed when you made the purchase?
RonB

Yes, I have copies of everything I signed. I read it all 6 months ago. I've forgotten what it said, but it was straightforward. if it covered anything like this, I would have noticed and remembered.
I actually signed something where I agreed to sign other things later if they failed to have me sign everything. But I never signed anything later.
I think they didnt' seek permission because they don't know why anyone would object. It's a very big dealership, something like 40 bays in the service dept., but I think they are small-town boys, far from a big city.
Maybe some customers are so ego-starved that they actually feel good when they see their name on a webpage.
(My 1995 car blew its head gasket on the road, so I rented a car, had the old car checked and the repair cost verified, and then bought another car where I was. It took 6 days, Friday afternoon to Thursday morning.)

I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot** that the ad they mailed me contained the password for the webpage, so IIUC that means even if google comes up with the webpage, it wlll still require a password, which no one else will have.
I hope you all don't feel I wasted too much of your time.
**I only used the password once, then kept looking back at the page for 3 days. I don't think I would have forgotten about the password 10 years ago.