OT: Wikileaks still up

Page 1 of 2
... just under assumed names. There's a blizzard of news revolving around them today: their domain names were yanked by their ISP (EveryDNS), so "wikileaks.org" is kaput. And of course, chickenshit Amazon caved to pressure from (Dem.) Sen. Joe Lieberman, among others, and pulled their web hosting.
These names, however, are reputed to still be operating:
http://wikileaks.de http://wikileaks.fi http://wikileaks.nl http://wikileaks.eu http://wikileaks.pl
In addition, you can access Wikileaks with a raw naked string of numbers constituting a static IP address. At least two work (I've been using the first one, which works):
http://213.251.145.96 / http://88.80.13.160 /
Story here: http://news.antiwar.com/2010/12/03/wikileaks-registrar-problems-leave-site-difficult-to-reach /
Oh, and for those red-meat "national security" conservatives out there who are calling for Julian Assange's head on a pike (as well as Pfc. Bradley Manning's, even though the guy hasn't even been formally charged yet, let alone convicted of anything), your flak is expected and will be ignored. This is for the rest of us who feel that Wikileaks is performing an important function.
✖
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Strange as it may seem, I agree with you. In my view, Assange got information from an outside source and published it, same as the New York Times.
Both are reprehensible, but if the Times gets a walk, so should Assange.
What's curious is that the Times refused to publish the leaked "climate-gate" emails, claiming, inter alia, that they were "private" communications and, well, gentlemen do not read each other's mail.
Then there's this:
18 USC 798 (a) Whoever knowingly and willfully communicates, furnishes, transmits, or otherwise makes available to an unauthorized person, or publishes, or uses in any manner prejudicial to the safety or interest of the United States or for the benefit of any foreign government to the detriment of the United States any classified information...Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the NY Times imprisoned for ten years...
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/3/2010 7:29 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Yup. It's clearly illegal.

Didn't happen after the release of the Pentagon Papers (neither to Dan Ellesberg nor to the NYT); probably won't happen now.
<Nelson_Muntz_voice> Haw haw! </Nelson_Muntz_voice>
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:
✖

Lewis "Scooter" Libby wasn’t charged for revealing Valerie Plame's CIA status why should Wikileaks?
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/3/2010 8:47 PM Molly Brown spake thus:

+1.
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:
✖

So you believe that two wrongs make a right? The Plame affair was media driven nonsense, Wikicrap is a threat to our national security. Only the loony left America bashers think otherwise.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/4/2010 12:49 PM Joe spake thus:

Please explain how you think Wikileaks endangers our national security.
Also explain how the Plame affair did *not* harm nat'l security.
Be specific.
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:
✖

The Plame affair, as you call it, was a deliberate act of sabotage by Bush's puppet masters. It resulted in the loss of decades of faithful work by Valerie Plame IN THE US NATIONAL INTEREST. It also resulted in uncountable deaths of agents left naked when Plame was not allowed to contact her sources to warn them.
I should by now be inured to the sheer ignorance -- nay, MALEVOLENCE -- of such as the writer, but it still shocks me that these people have their heads in the sand -- or perhaps in a darker, smellier place -- out of sheer partisan rancor.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/3/2010 7:29 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Ackshooly, I'm surprised to see you write that, Bub. I really am.
After all, without the NYT and especially its Iraq war cheerleader, Judith Miller*, we might not have even *had* Iraq War II. No further chances for all those red-blooded American "tips of the spear" to give those goddamned ragheads their tickets to kingdom come. I'm assuming this would have been a terrible disappointment to you.
Don't tell me you buy that garbage about how the NYT is the exemplar of the "liberal media" ...
* Not to mention her editor, Bill Keller, who only bleated pathetic excuses when Miller was fired.
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:
✖
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Heh! I guess it's possible that President Bush took into consideration what the NY Times had to say on the matter before he made his decision to invade.

*I* would never do that. Heck, they describe themselves that way.
"Is the New York Times a liberal newspaper? Of course it is. " Daniel Okrent, Ombudsman, New York Times, July 25, 2004. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res 01E7D8173DF936A15754C0A9629C8B63
Others do too.
A 2007 Rasmussen survey found that 40% of respondents believed the NY Times to be a liberal newspaper (10% thought it to be too conservative). In 2004, a UCLA study gave the NYT a score of 73 (out of 100) on the conservative-to-liberal scale.
I know that progressives believe the NY Times is a "mainstream, middle-of-the-road" publication, possibly because the NYT is only (according to UCLA) three-quarters of the way toward complete liberalism.
Add pictures here
✖

The fact that he doesn't consider the NY Times to be a liberal newspaper shows just how far to the left this nut job is.
As for this gem:
"This is for the rest of us who feel that Wikileaks is performing an important function. "
How about the rest of us who consider guys like you and harry, who constantly start off topic threads here about some BS that is almost always anti-American, a bunch of annoying idiots?
And since he agrees that what Assange did is illegal, I'm sure he'll have no problem when and if they track him down and he gets 20 years, 10 for sexual assault and the other 10 for espionage. Given the current administration's interest in enforcing laws, I wouldn't hold my breath. Perhaps some other pissed off country who has troops on the ground in the war on terror will have the guts to dispatch some agents to take care of the problem. If I were president, at the very least I'd have black cars sitting outside the house of assange's parents, family, friends, and everyone that works at his website. Sending a message that just maybe we can reach out and touch some one.
Only a true anarchist loon would think that what this scum bag did was "an important function". In one case, they identified an Iranian who had provided the US with info down to the fact that he was a former fencing champion. Oh, but wait, they redacted his name, so that makes it OK and he's in no danger, right? Just imagine the chilling effect will this have on the collection of intelligence in the war against terrorism, Think citizens or govt officials in places like Iran are going to tell the US critical information or opinions when they know it's going to be on the web the next day?
Also, isn't a curious thing that guys like assange, harry, and david always focus their vitriol at the USA? Where are the Wikileaks on Russia, China, Iran and North Korea?
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/4/2010 8:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Mostly from foreigners. Don't know why they constantly dig up dirt on the US as most of us in the US couldn't care less about the messes in their countries.
We all know what the Russians would have done if it involved them ;)
Add pictures here
✖
IF OUR GOVERNMENT REALLY WANTS TO KEEP OUR NATION'S TOP SECRETS CLASSIFIED, THEY SHOULD BE KEPT IN THE SAME PLACE THAT OBAMA'S COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE ARE KEPT.
Add pictures here
✖
"Frank" wrote in message
IF OUR GOVERNMENT REALLY WANTS TO KEEP OUR NATION'S TOP SECRETS CLASSIFIED, THEY SHOULD BE KEPT IN THE SAME PLACE THAT OBAMA'S COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE ARE KEPT.
-----
I'm not a fan of off-topic posts and I'm not an American either but I have to say this joke was funny.
Add pictures here
✖

.
I thought it was dull and boring, and showed the ignorance of the poster.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh? We don't "care about the messes in their countries"? So that's why we invaded the country of that vicious dictator, Saddam Hussein, but never invaded about ten other Asian and African countries with dictators that made Saddam look like a boy scout? List is easy to find by inputting some ordinary search terms.
Ooops...excuuuuuuse me....those other criminals didn't have OIL, and weren't as stupidly over-confident as Saddam, whose plan was to destroy OPEC and denominate oil in Euros rather than Dollars. Uh, oh...hic jacet lepus, as they say in Latin... We couldn't allow our cozy relationship with the Saudis to be endangered. Let them cut off people's hands, persecute and segregate women, rip off the country while spending fortunes on the luxurious life style of the huge "royal family", refuse to permit any other religions to exist, etc.etc. In exchange for which they agreed long ago to keep the price and supply of oil stable.
They used to call this kind of deal a "devil's bargain".
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/4/2010 12:13 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Yep. Now it's just known as business as usual, or "our vital national interests".
Reminds me of one of my favorite signs seen at antiwar demos:
"How did OUR oil end up under YOUR sand?"
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:
✖
if you wonder why terrorists hate us just look at our governments wikileak activities........
Add pictures here
✖
harry wrote:

It wasn't, unless you count Liebestraum. Do you think England made a defensible decision in declaring war on Germany?

The Dutch East Indies was where the oil was. The Japanese hated the Chinese and the Koreans.
I don't know about the others, unless they somehow insulted the Japanese by not going along with the "The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere'. "Face," you know.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/5/2010 4:53 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Heh. I think you mean Lebensraum ("living room), not "love-dream".