OT: Why lithium can't save Afghanistan

For those careful readers who've been following the recent news that there might be vast untapped stores of mineral wealth in Afghanistan, I offer the following article, a good antidote to the "let's make up some good reasons for being in Afghanistan" crowd:
http://news.discovery.com/earth/why-lithium-cant-save-afghanistan.html
(Found on my favorite source for daily news, Antiwar.com)
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:15:10 -0700, David Nebenzahl

I havent' read the article, but most of the commentators misunderstand. The plan is to put all the Afghanis on lithium. Then they'll be too jolly to fight.

How cool is that! Extend that plan to the Pentagon, and think of the money and lives we'd save!