OT Why is the fax machine not dead

Page 1 of 4  
When I bought my printer, I got it with a fax machine because I still need it. Many people will let me scan something and email it to them to avoid a long distance call, but not everyone.
I called the bank today to dispute a direct draft charge to my checking account. The girl said she would fax me a form. I asked her if she could just email it to me. She said....no sir, we can't do that.
So I am waiting on a fax as we speak. I only have one line so my fax and voice share the same phone number.
Fax machines should have died 15 years ago. They should at least give them an email address.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I would suspect some "security" reason. That seems to be one of the more common reasons for making you do something the hard way.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:33:40 -0500, Mark Lloyd

People who like fax, like it because it is not a computer. They tend to refuse. The construction industry still runs on fax. When I was an inspector that was the only communication that worked on the government side too. Maybe after this shake out the next generation will embrace Blackberries and abandon the fax.I still bet there will have to be one in every construction trailer anyway.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
metspitzer wrote:

Some folks consider a FAX to be more secure than E-mail. In some ways it is. It's a lot harder to intercept a FAX than an E-mail. I know how but I'd have to have access to your phone line. Someone who knows how, can access your E-mail or computer from the other side of the world.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's a lot harder to make copies of a fax transmission (not the resultant fax, the electronic signal) and replay or reproduce it. It's harder to archive a fax. A fax is designed to be a one-to-one communication, wherease emails are often one-to-many.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That may have been true in the olden days when a fax machine was a stand alone box with a lousy thermal printer and a crude scanner but now anyone who gets a fax on a PC has the TIF file forever if they want it. When I was working and using fax communication every day I archived everything I sent or received. The folks on the other end were always amazed that I could send them back a perfect copy of anything they sent me. They always assumes a "fax of a fax" had to be lower quality. I couldn't really even explain the PC thing to some of them. (somewhat senior guv'mint workers). Of the 14 documents I ended up sending for every inspection, only one was really a scanned original document. The rest were completely computer generated and exported to fax application on my PC.. Email would have certainly been a lot easier and more efficient.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Hi, Sending signed document via email involves more than simply just fax'ing it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tony Hwang wrote:

Perhaps That's the reason the bank prefers a FAX.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

How would it be any different than just scanning it into the computer?
While it is true that there may be a security reason I am not aware of for some documents, the form I needed would certainly not have needed any.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The Daring Dufas wrote:

OTOH, how many times has a fax machine dialed an incorrect number. If that number happened to also have a fax machine on it, the fax goes to them. It's not a farfetched an idea as you might think. In my hospital, we've gotten faxes meant for others many a time. I assume we've sent a few as well.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We don't know what number we dialed. So, how are we going to call the police and have them charged?
"Hello? Police? I sent a fax, and I'm not sure where. But whoever it was that got the fax, I want them arrested if they didn't destroy it cause I'm not sure who got it. <click> HELLO???"
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
metspitzer wrote:

Businesses are faxaholics. I've never owned a FAX machine or even a scanner/printer with FAX capability. I just use a faxmodem card in my computer to send/receive. For many communications, I can go paperless by faxing the output file from my wordprocessor or doing an on-screen display of an incoming fax saved to disk.
Like you, I have only one phone line, but for occasional fax use, it's enough.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bryce wrote:

Up until maybe a year or two ago, people would fax me stuff all the time. Due to the fact that our fax machine at work was an unreliable POS and possibly also due to the onward march of technology, more and more people are printing directly to .pdf and/or scanning and emailing, and I am glad of this.
Of course, my work email account has a 2MB quota, because our IT people don't see the need for employees to be emailing large files, so that creates other issues, like I can't leave more than a week or so worth of emails on the server or my mailbox fills up and I can't receive any more email. OK if I'm in the office, but if I want to leave stuff on the server so I can deal with it from home over webmail... well not so much.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

While you say you prefer email, you just gave a lot of reasons that the fax is still a major tool for communicating. Sounds like your IT people are morons also. 2MB limit made sense in 1985, not today.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nate Nagel wrote:

They still let you bump your work email from the outside world? They killed our webmail interface a couple of years ago. If I want to work from home, I have to drag the company laptop home and VPN in. They even locked out the USB ports so we can't use external drives.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
aemeijers wrote:

I can't even do that. Got a new laptop recently and the wireless card was disabled. What the heck good does it do to give me a laptop that I can't use outside the office? On the upside yes I still have webmail and USB works, which is good because that's the only way I can get pictures off my camera (there's so many different reasons why a picture is literally worth more than a thousand words sometimes)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nate Nagel wrote:

Your router at home doesn't have places to plug a cable in? -- aem sends...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
aemeijers wrote:

It's sitting on top of a bookshelf in the living room; not particularly convenient. (it needs to be there, too - that's the only place that I could find to put it where I'd get a wireless signal in the basement, garage *and* upstairs.) And that rules out other places that one might want to do work-related stuff like hotel rooms/lobbies etc.
I tried to make it work at home once with a cable and I still couldn't make it happen. Too much security on their end and not enough puter skills on mine.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

re: Your router at home doesn't have places to plug a cable in?
There are lots of wireless routers that don't have wired ports - other than the port to connect to a cable modem. When I replaced my wired router with wireless so my kids and their friends could use their laptops, it was easier (and cheaper) to find routers with no wired ports. I think I paid about $15 - 20 more for a wireless router with 4 wired ports.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bryce wrote:

If you have scan capability, save your document as a pdf file. It's the rare computer that can't handle one of those.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.